rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Colonial Armies : Africa 1850 -1918. by Peter Abbott
Coll

I recently acquired this book along with Mike's ITJOD, and wasn't going to mention it on the forum, but after reading small sections (couldn't help myself) found it to be really interesting.

I'm amazed at how many colonial armies were in Africa, many of them also suffering a few defeats, some with quite severe losses.

As for native units under their command, it is incredible to see so many different names of auxiliary forces organised under the various armies.

There are several battles mentioned, with only summaries of the engagements, as expected, but some caught my attention.

Names like Adwa, Dogali (where a myth was created about what happened before the last men fell), Coolela (I didn't know the Portuguese also fought in squares Rolling Eyes ) but I guess it was the same with all armies, used to fighting wars against cavalry.

Although I haven't read the whole book, I'm finding that I wish to recommend it, to those wishing to know more about the other forces that were also in Africa.

I think, after reading this title, there is a chance that many people may pursue other battles that happened in Africa, before, during and after the AZW 1879, to other armies.

Coll
AMB

Coll,

I would agree - a very interesting book. I think it was aimed at teenagers, but still think it adds value to any library on the period.

AMB
Coll

AMB

Yes. You could be right about what readership was aimed for.

It was on special offer, so I couldn't resist it, knowing it contained some details about what was going on elsewhere in Africa.

Adwa caught my interest first, a bigger disaster for the Italians, than the British at Isandlwana or Maiwand.

All three brigades (wings) getting attacked piecemeal, by an enemy they appeared to underestimate (sound familiar ?) with the Italians and Ascaris suffering thousands of casualties. Many others captured.

The Ascari prisoners were given a brutal time in captivity.

There is a book available about it.

For myself, it could be another 'comparative history' that I may obtain.

Coll
Colonial Armies : Africa 1850 -1918. by Peter Abbott