rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Emmerdale
David Glynne Fox

Not that I watch this programme regularly, of course, or at least,not admitting to it, but I was surprised to notice that two actors in the soap also had roles in Zulu Dawn, namely, Chris Chittel (Lt. Milne) and Michael Jayston (Col.Crealock) Had anyone else noticed or am I the only saddo around?
Regards
David

David

Fear not, you are not alone! I'm sad enough to admit that I follow Emmerdale on a regular basis, (Coronation Street too, although I draw the line at Eastenders - I have got some standards, you know!).

Chris Chittel has been in the series for many years as Eric Pollard, a corrupt businessman and local councillor, currently being blackmailed (by whom, we don't know yet!) for being caught on camera in a compromising position with someone he shouldn't. Michael Jayston is a relative newcomer to the series being the wealthy businessman, Donald de Souza, who has just survived several attempts on his life by his (much) younger gold digging wife, the treacherous, Nicola Blackstock. She did try to poison him at first but then resorted to electrocution via a dodgy connection to his electric train set. The plot was tantalisingly foiled - or should I say derailed? - at the last minute.Laughing

Incidentally, I have heard a story in the past that Chris Chittel ran into some kind of problems during the filming of Zulu Dawn which resulted in his Lt Milne voice having to be dubbed and that he, Chris Chittel, was not best pleased with the rather 'affected' voice used for the dubbing. Not sure whether I have got this totally right but perhaps other Forum members might be in a position to confirm or elaborate?

H
David Glynne Fox

Hi Haydn,
I thought for a moment I was going to be the only sad person around, thanks for that.
I too heard the story that Chris Chittel's voice was dubbed, for reasons which I had perhaps better not state here.
Regards
David

toadyflintstone

Hello David
I too was a 'saddo' !
In the early 1980's Neil McCarthy who played Pte. John Thomas in Zulu also appeared in Emmerdale as Enoch Tolly.
Regards
Toady
David Glynne Fox

Hello Toady,
I never knew that Neil McCarthy starred in Emmerdale. Thanks for that snippet. He was born not far from where I live at Sleaford in Lincs but I never met him.
Regards
David

A further Soap/Action Film connection is that Johnny Briggs (Mike Baldwin in Coronation Street) appears in 633 Squadron as a pilot.

In a parallel to the story about Chris Chittel, JB alleges in his autobiography (no, I haven't read it all, just the bit about 633 Squadron!) that he fell out with the director and his part was cut short! I don't know whether this is true, but his character does die during the training exercises and doesn't go on the actual raid!

Smile
Peter Ewart

And was a regular in No Hiding Place in the early '60s, with his opposite number Michael McStay under Lockhart(Raymond Francis). Can still hear that rather tinny (but exciting) bell on their police car, can't you? No "two-tones" klaxons, or sirens or whatever, then!

P.

Last edited by Peter Ewart on Tue May 06, 2008 1:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Alan
Site Admin

Briggs was also in the Buccaneers with Robert Shaw on T.V.

That's funny. My posting correctly appeared just now after the last one but a few seconds later has jumped ahead of it - and I'm sure it had been contributed by Ron Lock and not Alan, about five hours before mine. Not only that, but I usually adjust any "typos" of mine without the appearance of the "edited" note - but clearly not this time. You're too clever for us, Alan!

P.
Alan
Site Admin

Peter,

the reason that Ron's name appeared on the posting was that I was still logged-in in his name for posting for him on the marathon topic. (Do you really think he'd be able to add a picture?) I forgot to log out and in again in my own name.

As to the 'edited' note, that's computers for you!

Peter,

We had those 'tinny bells' until the late 1980's I have you know, they weren't that exciting either I can assure you!

John Y.
Peter Ewart

Alan

That's a relief - a simple explanation for something which had me completely baffled!

John

When you're about 12 and you see this plain, black Rover, Jag or Wolseley (no good at cars) come speeding round the corner on two wheels, making a racket with its bell while chasing the villains, it's very exciting! Now Lockhart will catch them! And all in wonderful black & white. (And a bit more "high tech" than Norman Wisdom and his policeman's whistle).

The theme tune alone was enough to get you going. Many years later - about 20 years ago - my brother was appearing in the West End production of Sherriff's Journey's End alongside Mike McStay, who'd been one of Lockart's sidekicks in NHP. Recalling his boyhood & the thrilling tune, my brother tormented McStay by humming that tune endlessly whenever they were together. Whether he thumped him in the end, I don't know.

Now don't tell me it's just not like NHP in the Met any more ...

Peter
John Young

Peter,

No I'm afraid back then we were a Force and now we're a Service!

The Norman Shaw designed Old New Scotland Yard became Cannon Row, and now it houses M.P.'s offices rather than "Peelers".

I had an experience not unlike your brother's, whilst standing in Whitehall once. I recognised a figure walking towards me with a jaunty step, all at once I felt compelled to start whistling the theme from The Great Escape. As the man drew level to me he said, "Thank God, you didn't whistle Crossroads." At which I grinned back at him and nodded to Archibald Ives, and not Shughie McFee as he carried on towards Parliament Square.

John Y.
The Scorer

You couldn't have whistled the theme from Crossroads ... didn't Shughie disappear into his kitchen and was never seen again??

Very Happy
Emmerdale