rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Amazing Tales. by Neil Oliver
Coll

Not sure this might be of interest, but there was a large article about the author of this book in today's newspaper. He was part of the programme 'Two Men In A Trench' with Tony Pollard.

This book presents stories of all types of heroes and heroism in history, and on the front cover along with other figures, there appears to be a 24th soldier and a Spartan warrior.

He says in the article that 'Zulu' was the first film he saw, and that "I ask myself what I would have done at the Battle of Isandlwana....."

It's published on May 15th, although I'm not sure what age-group it is aimed at, but it might be worth a look.

Coll
John Young

Coll,

Look again at the soldier - he's got highlander cuffs on his tunic & yellow facings, obviously from the very advanced party of the 91st, but with line infantry trousers!

Judging by the cover it looks like its aimed at a very young audience.

John Y.
Coll

John

I didn't notice the details of the uniform, but I think it is Isandlwana he covers in the book.

You could be right about it being aimed at a younger readership, although I got the impression the book was given such an illustration on the front cover as a salute to the nostalgic older adventure stories, but the contents may also suit an adult readership too.

Apparently, it has 300+ pages, and many subjects are included.

I'm considering getting it, even just for the fact that I'll get it quicker than my recent Alamo book, which took ages ! Wink

Coll
Coll

Hopefully, I'll be obtaining this book next week.

Apparently, each story covered is accompanied by a painting of the subject.

If anyone is interested, I'd give a sort of review about its contents.

Coll
Coll

On back cover, last sentence of paragraph -

'...it meant understanding that sometimes it was more important to DIE A HERO THAN LIVE A COWARD'S LIFE'

First impressions of the book ? Great ! Very Happy

Several small chapters covering a variety of events, including Isandlwana, Thermopylae, Camerone, as well as explorers, etc.

Nice easy read, with basically summaries of truly heroic history.

Highly recommended for younger readership, informing them of what heroes and heroism through time was all about.

So if not interested in the title for yourself, youngsters you know may benefit greatly from the contents, wishing thereafter to possibly pursue one or more of the subjects covered.

Pleasant illustrations too.

Coll
Coll

The book was enjoyable, although there are some mistakes in the details.

Unfortunately, I don't have a son, as I would have added this to his library.

I hope this isn't a one-off by Neil Oliver, but the first in a series.

It'd be good if he appeared on the forum, as he has hit on the heroes/heroism theme I've been pursuing.

Coll
Amazing Tales. by Neil Oliver