rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Lieutenant Anstey
Chris Winslet

Good morning all. I am a new registrant so apologies in advance for any etiquette blunders!

There is a flurry of interest around where I live in that Rob Caskie is visiting Chobham (Surrey) village hall to tell the story of Isandlwana. I have told the organiser that the only body to be removed from the battlefields and returned to the UK is buried a few miles away in St John's churchyard, Woking (where a friend of mine is the vicar). This info btw I have gleaned from this excellent site and Mike Snook's equally excellent book.

I see from a previous thread that Sally Fox was pursuing information about Anstey and his reburial about a year ago. Does anyone know if Anstey's story including his reburial has been pulled together somewhere?

Also does the RRW Museum contain material that would be helpful in trying to get a better understanding of his life and death? I have never visited (I am only very recently converted to an interest in AZW) but intend to rectify this.

I would very much like to help the church gain a better understanding of Lieutenant Anstey and the history of his sad return to the UK so anyone's assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Chris
mike snook 2

Dear Chris

A trip to the Brecon museum is always a worthwhile thing to do. Not only are there the AZW exhibits on show, and lots of books and other good things to buy in the shop (which of us can resist!), but you can also flit up through the town to the cathedral and see the Queen's Colour. If the experience moves you, you have become a fully fledged convert!! Bad luck; the fascination just gets worse and worse!!

There is a good biography page on each of the 24th officers in Mackinon and Shadbolt, (a well known book amongst AZW buffs). It is unaffordable in the original, and even the modern reprints, which one has to obtain second hand, are expensive. If however you ask the museum staff if you can look at their copy, you'll be able to make notes from it. Visit the excellent website of the 'Keynsham Light Horse' too for anything to do with AZW burials.

Others here will have more on Anstey's grave.

Thanks for kind words re book.

Regards

Mike
Chris Winslet

Mike

Many thanks. Your reply has hastened my desire to visit Brecon, I was thinking of combining it with the jazz festival but I don't think it will wait that long. The story of the loss, recovery and return of the Queen's Colour to Colonel Glyn at Rorke's Drift gets me going just to read it on the page so goodness knows what I will be like in the Cathedral...

Reading both your books has left me feeling that there is so much more to the AZW story than the two films have delivered. Has anyone ever considered a longer format, eg a TV series? Maybe it would be regarded as 'non-PC' in the modern era.

Regards

Chris
Re: Lieutenant Anstey
Jamie

Chris Winslet wrote:
I would very much like to help the church gain a better understanding of Lieutenant Anstey and the history of his sad return to the UK so anyone's assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Chris

I have attached a couple of links that show the area he fell - if this is of any help.

http://www.isandlwana1879.co.uk/index_files/Page378.htm

Bottom 2 photos

http://www.isandlwana1879.co.uk/index_files/Page4906.htm

Photo 2nd from bottom.

Regards,

Jamie
Martin Everett

I was christened in St John's Church, Woking...my parents made a wise choice.

HARMAN

Jamie just wanted to say your photographs are some of the best I have ever seen.
Absolutely brilliant. Such amazing detail. Outstanding.
mike snook 2

Peter

Quite so. Good isn't it. Jamie has made a real contribution for the those who for financial or health reasons will never be able to make the pilgrimage. The time and effort he has put into his excellent website is quite remarkable. I take my hat off to him every time it comes up.

Regards

Mike
Jamie

HARMAN wrote:
Jamie just wanted to say your photographs are some of the best I have ever seen.
Absolutely brilliant. Such amazing detail. Outstanding.

Many thanks to you and of course Mike. You are too kind.

Regards,

Jamie