rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Obtaining The Rights To The Zulu Dawn Film ?
Coll

Sheldon

I guess this question is meant for you, as I feel you will be able to supply some of the details to ease my curiosity.

With mentioning the rights in a previous topic, made me wonder the following -

a. Would rights only be available to other film studios ?

b. Could an independent film company, or even an enthusiast have a chance to obtain them ?

c. What sort of costs would be getting discussed ?

d. If rights are obtained, is the new owner then able to improve either the film or screenplay, or both ?

I know these questions are perhaps unusual, but I'd be interested to hear the answers.

Thankyou

Coll
Sheldon Hall

I daresay the rights could be sold to a private individual or non-film company for the right amount of cash! The big question determining how much would be, what kind of rights? Distribution rights in all media for a limited period of time or in perpetuity? World distribution rights or for one or more specific territories? Or full ownership of the negative and all rights thereto? The last option would be most expensive because, as I understand it, the negative was seized by the laboratory when the production company did not pay the bill. There are probably also other outstanding bills due to the company running out of funds. So those costs would have to be settled before an outright purchase could take place. Territorial distribution rights are, I think, currently controlled by a variety of different companies, eg, Mosaic in the UK.
Coll

Sheldon

Thanks very much for your answer.

I think if I had the opportunity and the money, I'd go for the full ownership of the negative and all rights.

I wonder what sort of financial figures this would entail ?

Coll
Sheldon Hall

I doubt it would be less than six figures, possibly seven...
Coll

Sheldon

No problem ! Wink

I know you have mentioned several aspects of Zulu Dawn over many topics, but could I ask, what you think could be done, were the film to be placed in the right hands, to improve its quality, sound, and overall appeal, for the wider audiences ?

Also, perhaps a subject not to your liking, but I'll ask anyway, which is about the Zulu Dawn script, as is, the one we all mostly know of and read.

In your view, using this script as the basic structure, what could be taken away or added, regarding the dialogue and action ?

More scenes, maybe more in the way of details ?

If you had the finances available for what you had in mind, and the choice of present actors, what do you feel you could do to raise Zulu Dawn up the ladder, from where it appears to be placed now ?

I'll understand if you wish to give this question a miss.

Thankyou

Coll
Peter Ewart

Coll

I'm sure Sheldon will come up with a more technical answer than mine regarding the possible improvement of that film, but I'm sure most would agree that not a lot would be possible without starting all over again!

For example, it is difficult to see how any messing about with the sound, the screen (wide, big, small or whatever) the various effects, the script or even adding �100M to the budget could even begin to rescue it from its appalling reputation. It is there for all to see - it is just the most appalling effort imaginable at telling the story of the Battle of Isandlwana or even the onset of the Anglo-Zulu War. It does not even distantly resemble that battle - indeed it probably resembles Hastings, Waterloo or the Charge of the Light Brigade as closely as it resemble anything that happened in Africa in 1879.

There were plenty of talented actors in the cast and lots of spectacular scenery - just a shame about the film itself! Is that because of the script, the director, the terrible theme music, the running out of money, the puzzling appearance of Taras Bulba, the complete absence of even a loose connection with what actually happened - or what? Who knows? Certainly it was nothing to do with sound, screen or any technical shortcoming that could be remedied by a little tinkering with available modern technology.

I think, Coll, that if a film about Isandlwana is ever to be made (again), then whoever makes it will want to start with a blank sheet of paper and begin all over again. They will definitely want to get as far away from Zulu Dawn as they possibly can. The film, the name, everything about it. It was a film based on a little paperback story of doubtful quality, and it certainly showed. It makes Davey Crockett, King of the Wild Frontier, look an authentic heavyweight of cinema history. I'm not even sure that it wouldn't have been laughed out of the old Saturday morning flicks by a couple of hundred nine year olds.

I remember having to have two or three goes before I could drag myself through to the end even once. Perhaps if someone had shot that chap Lancaster right at the beginning we'd have been spared the very worst of it, but rather than tinker with the film with modern computers or such-like, why not launch an appeal for every available copy to be recalled so that they could be buried or burnt - after being speared by a stake right through the middle first, of course?

We could start the appeal on this thread. After all, it would be a very, very good cause! I'd even suggest you as the recipient of the recalled copies, but could we trust you to do your duty, Coll? Very Happy

Peter
Alan
Site Admin

So... let me me get this straight. Did you like it or not Peter?

Alan,

I think we can safely say that it was not one of Peter's favourite films!!
Mind you, I agree entirely about the Lancaster bit---it must go down as one of the worst portrayals of an historical character ever.

Robert

Well, otherwise it was fine!

P.
Coll

Peter

Thanks for your detailed long reply.

Methinks, though, you are bluffing. Could it be that you are a secret Zulu Dawn fan, trying to deter others from obtaining memorabilia from the film, by pretending it truly is an awful presentation of Isandlwana ? Wink

There is a lot could be done, not with the film perhaps, but the script itself, although, as you say, what Zulu Dawn was/is, may put people off the idea permanently. Sad

Historical portrayals ?

Don't even ask me what I feel about Mel Gibson's William Wallace !

Yes. I'd be the guardian of everything related to Zulu Dawn, safe in my protection, until, like a phoenix, it rises from the ashes, fresh and anew ! Very Happy

My duty is to defend it, not destroy it !

It'll be back ! Cool

Coll
Sheldon Hall

I think Peter rather overstates the case against! I'm not sure even its reputation is as "appalling" as he makes out. This is from an email I've just received from a reader of my book: 'I saw "Zulu Dawn" in the theatre, probably in 1980 or early 1981 in Toronto. The final Zulu assault, on the wide screen, was one of the most intense sequences I have ever seen, it literally took my breath away. But as fine as that movie is, it lacks something that "Zulu" has.' So not everyone thinks it's a complete disaster! I've even met people who think it's superior to "Zulu". They're wrong, obviously, but every POV has its defenders...

As for Coll's questions, I've not read the ZD script, though I have read the paperback novelisation (by Cy Endfield), which contrary to Peter's comments was adapted from the film and not the other way around. As my contribution to another thread suggests, I'm not much in favour of fiddling with films once they're completed. A remastered widescreen, stereo DVD would be nice, though, and a remake would be - well, interesting at least (but not very likely).
Alan
Site Admin

There is a transcript of the film script in the Zulu Dawn section on this site in PDF form.

http://www.rorkesdriftvc.com/zulu_dawn_script.pdf

Sheldon's got a point - I did like one or two attractive scenes. However inauthentic, some of the gallavanting about in front of the cricket pavilion on the PMB Oval was fun, and the crossing of the Buffalo (albeit backwards) was an attractive scene, as was the move off towards Isandlwana on the 20th. And there's a brief, pretty scene where Crealock sketches on the 22nd, if I recall correctly.

However, the film had already lost its marbles long before that, although one can't blame the nauseous Irish navvy for everything. And once the fighting started, where - anywhere - is there a resemblance to the battle? I can't see one.

Am I the only one who expects Burt Lancaster to break out at any moment with The Bricklayer's Song?

Pete
Coll

Peter

I know you're up to mischief, but your last sentence is just plain silly.

I'm quite disappointed. Sad

If Zulu had failed, would they have kept blaming Michael Caine's accent ?

Coll
Martin Everett

Coll,

Movies about disasters (i.e. human 'cock-ups' rather humans pitting their wits against natural phenomenons) do not sell - Isandlwana (or Zulu Dawn) does not have a happy ending - both sides regretted the event. Any re-working of the subject is not going change this - there is no success factor which attracts a cinema audience and financial backing for the project.

I am never quite sure from the your postings whether your keen support from Col Durnford is coloured by the fact his part in the film was played by Burt Lancaster. The historical character has little in his military career to commend him as a military genius on top of his art - just an average soldier in the wrong place at the wrong time. Whereas Burt Lancaster was known by millions as a successful screen actor. Would we have liked Dunford - the real man?

Obtaining The Rights To The Zulu Dawn Film ?