rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Anyone know of any 'Ulundi' books?
Simon

Hi,

I have quite a collection of books on the Zulu War, most of which seem to concentrate on the re-telling of Rorke's Drift or debating the merits (or not) of screwdrivers, Natal Natives, Durnford or Lord C in relation to Isandlwana.

Does anyone know of any books that contain some more details about Ulundi (or the second invasion in general) apart from the generic 'Zulu War' books.

Cheers

Simon
Ulundi Readings
Harold Raugh

Hi Simon,
You may want to consider reading the following books and articles about the Battle of Ulundi:

BATTLE OF ULUNDI, 4 JULY 1879

Books

Chadwick, G.A. The Second Invasion of Zululand and the Battle of Ulundi. Durban: Privately published, 1981.

Laband, John. The Battle of Ulundi. KwaZulu Monument Council Series. Pietermaritzburg: Shuter & Shooter, 1988. Xiv + 56 pp., illustrations, maps.

Articles

Best, Brian. �Chelmsford�s Juggernaut: The March on Ulundi.� Journal of the Anglo Zulu War Historical Society 11 (June 2002).

[Darnell, Paul.] �Battle of Ulundi, 4th July 1879.� Colonial Conquest 2. The Battle of Ulundi was a decisive British victory and the final significant battle of the Anglo-Zulu War. This article details the British force engaged and casualties from the battle, with excerpts from Chelmsford�s official report, the letters of four British soldiers, and short accounts from four Zulu participants.

Knight, Ian. ��Can�t You Fire Faster?�: The Battle of Ulundi.� Journal of the Anglo Zulu War Historical Society 3 (June 1998); reprinted in Redcoats and Zulus: Selected Essays from the Journal of the Anglo Zulu War Historical Society, ed. Adrian Greaves, 206-215. Barnsley, UK: Pen & Sword Military, 2004.

Knight, Ian. �To Dye the Earth With Brave Men�s Blood, Part 1: Visit to 1879 Anglo-Zulu War Battlefields � Ulundi.� Battlefields 8, no. 1 (1999). This article describes the Battle of Ulundi, 4 July 1879, the decisive engagement of the Anglo-Zulu War, and what the site looks like today.

Knight, Ian. �Touch and Go: The Skirmish before Ulundi.� Journal of the Anglo Zulu War Historical Society 12 (December 2002); reprinted in Redcoats and Zulus: Selected Essays from the Journal of the Anglo Zulu War Historical Society, ed. Adrian Greaves, 197-205. Barnsley, UK: Pen & Sword Military, 2004.

�Ulundi, The Last Battle of the Zulu War.� Savage and Soldier 1, no. 6 (1965).

I hope this helps.
Regards,
Harold Raugh
Simon

Many thanks Harold

Cheers

Simon
Bibliography of AZW Books/Articles (in progress)
Harold Raugh

Hi Simon,
I am glad to have been of assistance to you.
If you are looking for books or articles in other specific AZW categories, please let me know. I may be able to again assist. I am currently under contract with Scarecrow Press (in the US) to compile an Anglo-Zulu War bibliography. This is a long-term project, although I have compiled about 170 pages so far. (Scarecrow Press published my 378-page "British Military Operations in Egypt and the Sudan [1882-1899]: A Selected Bibliography," two months ago.)
Thanks again.
All the best,
Harold
Sawubona

Harold,
I "googled" your Egypt and Sudan book and I must say that that's quite a work! At 379 pages for the "Selected Bibliography", how long would the "Complete Bibliography" be (LOL)? Kidding aside, it's very impressive. Any target date for publication of the AZW bibliography?
Harold Raugh

Thank you, Sawubona, for your message and kind comments on my Egypt/Sudan bibliography. It was about 490 typescript pages, which equaled the 379 published pages, and was a 3+ year project. It could have been longer (!), but much more would have been "fluff." (There is a 15% discount if ordered through the publisher's website.)
I am learning quite a lot as I work on this AZW bibliography. At times, when I am reading through footnotes of obscure articles searching for new sources, it is mind-numbing drudgery! I work on it basically every day, though, and learn more every day. A number of people have already provided assistance with new sources and references (although I have not yet publicized this project too widely), and the number grows as more people learn of this worthwhile project and are eager to contribute to the body of knowledge for all of us. I hope this AZW bibliography will be as authoritative as possible, and the more sources and references I get from people -- whose assistance will be acknowledged in the book -- the more useful and valuable this reference book will be for all of us interested in AZW studies.
I anticipate submitting the manuscript to the publisher by the end of 2009, with publication about 5 or 6 months later. I would be happy to update you periodically on the status of this project.
Thanks again.
All the best,
Harold
AMB

Harold,

Your reputation precedes you � I am greatly looking fwd to your AZW bibliography.

We both appear to be in the same neck of the woods. please contact via private message if you think my AZW library can help you.

Regards,

AMB
Paul Bryant-Quinn

Good morning Harold

Do you intend including references in your bibliography to studies of the AZW in languages other than English?

Regards,

Paul

Hello Paul,
Thank you very much for your message.
I definitely intend to include AZW-related entries in all languages, and hopefully I'll be able to translate most of the titles of the books or articles myself -- except for Welsh!
Your colleague Colin Eldridge has already provided me with a large number of references, and I also have two of your articles listed. I'd be interested in any others, hoping to make this bibliography as comprehensive as possible. I have already compiled about 200 pages' worth, with little end in sight!
Thank you again. Please feel free to contact me at my own e-mail address if you desire: [email protected].
All the best,
Harold
Paul Bryant-Quinn

Thanks for the message, Harold - a much-needed project! Given the steady growth in publications about the AZW, is it your hope to publish a hard copy, or maintain an updatable website?

I'd be glad to give you the few references I have, together with a brief resume of what's in them. I'd also be very interested in any books / articles in Italian you may have come across.

As you may know, I am applying for funding to set up a project on the AZW. Getting money from academic funding bodies is a nightmare, but if successful it will result in a publishing programme of its own in Welsh and English. I'll keep you posted.

Regards,

Paul

Good morning, Paul,

Thank you very much for your interesting and informative message. Until I am able to find some new, breathtaking AZW sources (!), or develop some radically different but viable alternatives to some of the unresolved AZW issues, I feel the compilation of an authoritative AZW bibliography is a good way for me to make a contribution to AZW studies at the present time. I am really not interested in writing something simply to rehash old facts, fiction, and theories!

My AZW bibliography will be published in hardcopy in early 2010. It will be published by Scarecrow Press in the U.S., which published three months ago my 378-page British Military Operations in Egypt and the Sudan [1882-1899]: A Selected Bibliography.

As of last week, I have completed about 217 pages of my AZW bibliography. So far, in addition to English, I have entries in French, Russian, Afrikaans, German, Tsonga, Zulu, Swahili, Spanish, Swedish, and -- Italian. I have, however, only two entries in Italian:

Molinari, P. �Storiografia e impero: alle origini della guerra anglo-zulu del 1879� [Historiography and Empire: The Origins of the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879]. Rivista di Storia Contemporanea 23/24 (1994-1995): 5-21.

Potenza, Anna. �La Guerra Zulu� [The Zulu War]. Notiziario dell'Associazione Italiana Collezionisti Posta Militare 61 (March 1992).

I would be very grateful to receive information on additional AZW sources (from you as well as any other forum members), and will happily acknowledge them in my forthcoming bibliography. So far, I have included your BAR article and "Welsh language reactions to the AZW." Thank you.

I wish you every success in your project to publish Welsh/English language AZW material. I have been following the debate and your input on AZW soldiers' letters in Welsh with considerable interest. I hope you keep the forum updated on the status of this worthwhile project.

Thank you again.

Best wishes,
Harold
http://hraugh.com
Paul Bryant-Quinn

Harold - thank you very much indeed (and thank you for the references): your work sounds fascinating. As your bibliography will be published in hardcopy, will you be entitling it 'volume 1: 1879 - 2010'?

Wink

Forgive any obtuseness on my part, but what are you including as 'sources'? Do you intend MS. sources as well as published ones? Are you listing newspapers / journals / as well? And how do you find time to eat and sleep?!

Laughing

The BAR article to which you refer is properly to be listed under Bill Cainan's name, as he was the primary author - he wrote most of it, and all the good bits are his. I have two forthcoming publications in Welsh, and will send you references when they are out.

Fascinating about the entries in Zulu ...

Kind regards,

Paul

Last edited by Paul Bryant-Quinn on Sun Aug 31, 2008 4:58 pm; edited 1 time in total

Hello Paul,

Many thanks indeed for your message.

Pertaining to my AZW bibliography-in-progress, it is a bit difficult to get one volume published, so I am not sure if there will be a second! I will personally try to maintain an update, however.

This is the table of contents I am currently working with. It may change slightly, but I do not anticipate any major changes. Each major section and sub-section is further divided into three sections: Books, Articles, and Dissertations. In general terms, I am not including newspaper articles, unless they are significant in autobiographical or biographical terms, or are eyewitness accounts. I will be including government documents (TNA, etc.) and personal letters, manuscripts, journals, etc. (by individual and repository).

The Anglo-Zulu War: A Selected Bibliography

Contents

Acknowledgments

Preface

Introduction: Historical Background of the Zulu War, 1879

1. Overview

A. General Information

B. Political and International Background

C. British Parliamentary Papers

2. Rise of the Zulu Nation, 1819-1878

A. General Information

B. Shaka kaSenzangakhona

C. Cetshwayo kaMpande

D. Zulu Army

3. Zulu War, Phase I: 11 January-30 May 1879

A. General

B. Battle of Isandlwana, 22 January 1879

C. Battle of Nyezane, 22 January 1879

D. Defense of Rorke�s Drift, 22/23 January 1879

E. Siege of Eshowe, 24 January-3 April 1879

F. Battle of Ntombe River, 12 March 1879

G. Battle of Hlobane Mountain, 28 March 1879

H. Battle of Khambula Hill, 29 March 1879

I. Battle of Gingindlovu, 2 April 1879

J. London Gazette Despatches

4. Zulu War, Phase II: 31 May �26 August 1879

A. General

B. Death of the Prince Imperial, 1 June 1879

C. Battle of Ulundi, 4 July 1879

D. Capture of Cetshwayo kaMpande, 26 August 1879

E. Aftermath of the War

F. London Gazette Despatches

5. Colonial Troops

6. Miscellaneous Aspects

A. Naval Brigade

B. Cavalry

C. Artillery

D. Small Arms and Individual Weapons

E. Engineers

F. Logistics

G. Signal Support

H. Medical Support

I. Postal Operations

J. War Correspondents and Artists

K. Literature

L. Poetry

M. Films and Television

N. Music and Dances

O. Military Models and Wargames

P. Awards and Decorations

Q. Websites

R. Miscellaneous

7. Autobiographies, Biographies, Journals, and Letters

A. General Frederick A. Thesiger, Lord Chelmsford

B. Field Marshal Viscount Garnet J. Wolseley

C. Other Participants: Autobiographies

D. Other Participants: Biographies

E. Other Participants: Journals

F. Other Participants: Letters

G. Dissertations

8. Regimental and Unit Histories

9. Published Soldiers� Letters

10. Selected Notices and Illustrations from Contemporary Periodicals

11. Government and Official Documents

12. Personal and Unofficial Documents

Author/Editor Index

Thank you for the clarification on your Welsh language article. I will add Bill Cainan as the primary author. I am also looking forward to receiving information in due time on your other AZW related publications. Thank you very much.

Probably like you, I could use more time to work and more time to sleep -- but I could also do with a little less food in this sedentary undertaking!

All the best,
Harold
Paul Bryant-Quinn

Hi Harold.

It looks wonderful. How big did you say the book was going to be??

Shocked

Paul

Hi Paul,
Many thanks. I'd reckon this bibliography will be in the 350-page range. I'm finding a fair amount of (to me at least!) interesting (and some strange) material!
Cheers,
Harold
Anyone know of any 'Ulundi' books?