rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Paul Bryant-Quinn

Harold -

Do you have a precis of what is in the isiZulu articles you list?

Hello Paul,

I do not have any isiZulu articles yet, but I do have two books listed that I believe are in isiZulu:

Dhlomo, R.R.R. UShaka. 1937; reprint, Pietermaritzburg: Shuter and Shooter, 1968. 252 pp., map. This is a Zulu language biography of Shaka Zulu. Reprinted in Koln,. Germany, by R. Koppe in 1994 in German as UShaka.

Ngubane, Sihawukele. UShaka kasenangakhona. Cape Town: Maskew Miller Longman, 2007. 94 pp. This is a biography of Shaka Zulu in the Zulu language.

When I find any isiZulu articles, I will let you know. Thanks.

Best regards,
Harold
Paul Bryant-Quinn

Good morning Harold.

Pardon my being forward, but given that you could publish many bibliographical volumes on the AZW alone, won't extensive sections on Shaka and the rise of the Zulu limit your space?

Hello Paul,
Thank you for your message.
I do believe the rise of the Zulu nation, Shaka, and Cetshwayo are important components leading up to, or in the actual conduct of, the AZW. At this early stage of my research, I do intend (as noted a few days ago in my preliminary table of contents, which is always subject to revision) to include bibliographical items on these interrelated topics.
So far, and I would like to emphasize I am in the early stages of research, I have listed the following number of entries in this chapter:

Rise of the Zulu nation: 69 books; 61 articles, 25 dissertations/papers.
Shaka: 44 books; 41 articles; 10 dissertations/papers.
Cetshwayo: 14 books; 20 articles; 2 dissertations/papers.
Zulu Army: 7 books; 23 articles; 1 dissertation/paper.

If I find, during the course of my continued research, a disproportionately large number of related entries, I will make adjustments as necessary.
In the meantime, I would be very happy to receive additional AZW bibliographical suggestions from any and all forum members.
Thanks again.
All the best,
Harold
Damian

Will you include works on the Mfecane such as Zulu aftermath by Cooper and revisionist ones such as Dan Wylie's Myth of iron and Hamilton's Terrific Majesty?
Regards
Harold Raugh

Hello Damian,
Thank you for your message.
Yes, I intend to include works on the Mfecane, and I have already listed all items you mentioned, plus many others. Did you have any other specific titles in mind?
Thank you.
Cheers,
Harold
Paul Bryant-Quinn

Good morning Harold

You will, I am sure, be familiar with S.J.R. Martin's doctoral thesis: 'British images of the Zulu c.1820-1879' (Cambridge, 1982)?

Regards,

Paul

Harold...

I, too am very interested in your project in AZW studies. I should say I went to the Scarecrow site to take a look at your earlier bibliographical work. Now in perusing the entry it was noted that you did other military history books. Now may I ask what they were? And also may I ask what your major interest is in warfare? I'm curious as that is a subject I enjoy reading and studying about..(besides the AZW!) And also thanks very much for your "slogging' through the sources! It appears that it will be an impressive work when finished.

Good evening, Paul and Rich (below),
Thank you very much for the Martin doctoral thesis. I do have that one listed. Other dissertations/theses/papers I have listed in the same category are:

Dissertations

Berglund, Axel-Ivar. �Zulu Ideas and Symbolism.� Ph.D. dissertation, University of Cape Town, Cape Town, South Africa, 1972. This is an important ethnographic study of Zulu-Nguni beliefs.

Cele, Nokuthula. �A Diaspora Community on the Zulu Frontier: The History of the Machi Chieftaincy from the Early 19th to the Mid-20th Century.� Ph.D. dissertation, Michigan State University, East Lansing, Michigan, United States, 2006.

Cobbing, Julian. �The Case against the Mfecane.� Seminar paper, University of the Witwatersrand, Johannesburg, South Africa, 1984.

Cobbing, Julian. �Grasping the Nettle: The Slave Trade and the Early Zulu.� Seminar paper, University of Natal, Pietermaritzburg, Natal, 1990.

Cobbing, Julian. �The Myth of the Mfecane.� Seminar paper, University of Durban-Westville, Westville, Durban, South Africa, 1987.

Flint, Karen. �Negotiating Zulu Culture: African Healers in Southeastern Africa, 1820s-1940s.� Ph.D. dissertation, University of California, Los Angeles, Los Angeles, California, United States.

Golan, Dafnah. �Construction and Deconstruction of Zulu History.� Ph.D. dissertation, ha-Universiṭah ha-�Ivrit, Jerusalem, Israel, 1988.

Gump, James O. �Origins of the �Mfecane�: An Ecological Perspective.� Seminar paper, University of the Witwatersrand, Johannesburg, South Africa, 1991.

Hamilton, Carolyn Anne. �Ideology, Oral Traditions and the Struggle for Power in the Early Zulu Kingdom.� M.A. thesis, University of the Witwatersrand, 1985.

Hedges, David W. �Trade and Politics in Southern Mozambique and Zululand in the Eighteenth and Early Nineteenth Centuries.� D.Phil. dissertation, University of London, London, England, 1978.

Isaacs, Arlene. �The �Zulu Threat� to Natal, 1878-9: An Analysis.� B.A. (Hons.) History thesis, University of Natal, Durban, Natal, 1980.

Jorgensen, Torstein. �Contact and Conflict: Norwegian Missionaries, the Zulu Kingdom and the Gospel, 1850-1873.� Dissertation, Oslo, 1987.

Khumalo, Vukile. �Epistolary Networks and the Politics of Cultural Production in KwaZulu-Natal, 1860-1920.� Ph.D. dissertation, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan, United States, 2004.

Mael, Rosalind. �The Problem of Political Integration in the Zulu Empire.� Thesis, University of California, Los Angeles, Los Angeles, California, United States, 1974.

Mahoney, Michael R. �Between the Zulu King and the Great White Chief: Political Culture in a Natal Chiefdom, 1879-1906.� Ph.D. dissertation, University of California, Los Angeles, Los Angeles, California, United States, 1998.

Martin, S.J.R. �British Images of the Zulu, c. 1829-1879.� Ph.D. dissertation, University of Cambridge, Cambridge, England, 1982.

Masina, Edward Muntu. �Zulu Perceptions and Reactions to the British Occupation of Land in Natal Colony and Zululand, 1850-1887: A Recapitulation Based on Surviving Oral and Written Sources.� D.Phil. dissertation, University of Zululand, 2006.

McGill, Douglas Clarence. �A History of the Transvaal (1853-1864): With a New Interpretation of the Transvaal-Zulu Relations which Culminated in the Zulu War of 1879.� Ph.D. dissertation, University of Cape Town, Cape Town, South Africa, 1943.

McLintock, M. �The Zulu War and the Zulu Social System.� B.A. (Hons.) History thesis, University of Natal, 1972.

Mzimela, Mpiyezintombi Boy. �A Brief Survey of Zulu Warfare Vocabulary and its Literary Contribution to the Zulu Language.� B.A. (Hons.) thesis, University of Zululand, 1990.

Nourse, G.B. �The Zulu Invasion Scare of 1861.� M.A. thesis, University of Natal, Pietermaritzburg, Natal, 1948.

Richner, Jurg Emil. �The Historiographical Development of the Concept �mfecane� and the Writing of Early Southern African History, from the 1820s to 1920s.� M.A. thesis, Rhodes University, Grahamstown, South Africa, 2005.

Shuttleworth, James. �Inkatha and the History of the Zulu Kingdom.� M.A. thesis, Department of History, University of Western Australia, Australia, 1993.

Weir, Jennifer. �Ideology and Religion: The Missing Link in Explanations for the Rise and Persistence of the Zulu State.� Ph.D. dissertation, University of Western Australia, 2000.

Wright, John. �Politics, Ideology, and the Invention of the �Nguni.�� Seminar paper, University of Natal, Pietermaritzburg, Natal, 1983.

Greetings, Rich,
Thank you for your thoughtful message and kind comments on my AZW bibliography-in-progress. With the assistance and suggestions of good people like you, I am convinced -- despite the occasional mind-numbing drudgery! -- this will be a worthwhile project and make a solid contribution to AZW studies.
I am actually most interested in British military history, specifically in the areas of generalship, leadership, tactics, and operations. I prefer the Victorian era, and selected operations of the two world wars. (This may seem a bit unusual for a retired U.S. Army infantry officer and current U.S. Department of the Army civilian military historian!) I contribute frequently to Soldiers of the Queen, Journal of the Victorian Military Society. My previous books are:

1. Wavell in the Middle East, 1939-1941: A Study in Generalship. London: Brassey's (UK), 1993.

2. Fort Ord. Images of America. Charleston, SC: Arcadia Publishing, 2004.

3. Presidio of Monterey. Images of America. Charleston, SC: Arcadia Publishing, 2004.

4. The Victorians at War, 1815-1914: An Encyclopedia of British Military History. Santa Barbara, CA: ABC-CLIO, 2004.

5. Editor. The British Army, 1815-1914. International Library of Essays on Military History. Aldershot, UK: Ashgate, 2006.

6. British Military Operations in Egypt and the Sudan: A Selected Bibliography. Lanham, MD: Scarecrow Press, 2008.

There is additional information on my website: http://hraugh.com.

Thanks again, Paul and Rich.
Cheers,
Harold
Damian

Harold
Your bibliography sounds fascinating. I was going to ask about Julian Cobbing but you have answered me in your previous post. This sounds like a bibliography of Zulu history in general rather than just an AZW bibliography. I trust your bibliography will be easy to get hold of as I feel it has a definite place on my bookshelf.
Regards
Harold Raugh

Hello Damian,
Thank you for your message. The general Zulu/Mfecane-related entries, to include books, articles, and dissertations, will be in chapter 2 of my AZW bibliography. There will be eleven (11) other chapters that deal with much more specific AZW-related topics. My working table of contents for this AZW bibliography is in a message on the previous page.
This AZW bibliography will be published by Scarecrow Press in the U.S., which also just published my 378-page British Military Operations in Egypt and the Sudan: A Selected Bibliography. These books are easy to procure from the publisher's website, or Amazon.com or Barnes & Noble online. You could also probably special order it through a local bookstore. But please be a little patient: I don't expect to finish this AZW bibliography until the end of 2009, then it will take four or five months to actually publish! But I have completed about 220 pages so far, and I won't quit until the project is complete!
Many thanks,
Harold
Paul Bryant-Quinn

Good afternoon Harold.

You kindly say that you would be very grateful to receive information on additional AZW sources. Rather than forum members suggesting titles which you have no doubt already included, might it not make sense to put up drafts of your completed sections in a members-only access part of this site for their consideration?

Kind regards,

Paul

Harold...

I think with the bibliography and your books most here will be taken up with locating and reading the material. And I noted your book on "Wavell" which I will probably get. Interesting and "shy" fellow. He took his lumps ( like Chelsmford) and also experienced controversy in his opinions! Thanks.

Hello Paul and Rich,
Many thanks for your messages.
I would welcome the chance to share my draft AZW bibliography chapters with anyone and solicit additional input. Some of them are currently in the 30+ page range. If someone would kindly send me detailed posting instructions -- how and where to post them -- I would be pleased to do so over the weekend. Thanks.
Rich, thank you for your comments. I think my Wavell book turned out well, and the Foreword was written by a person who became, after we met, a friend of sorts -- the late Field Marshal Lord Carver. Unfortunately, this book has been out of print for many years, although I am in the process of trying to get it republished in softcover. Wavell was an intriguing and enigmatic character. In the meantime, a few copies of this book are listed on search engines such as Abebooks.com and via Libri.
I can also be contacted at e-mail [email protected].
Thanks Paul and Rich.
Cheers,
Harold
Michael Boyle

Hello Harold

I doubt that you'll be able to view this link ( http://books.google.com/books?I'd=mpkUAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA243&dq=17th+lancers+zulu&lr=&as_brr=1 ) [It comes up often in my searches of period literature, here while searching "17th Lancers"]. However, I'm guessing that as some large uni libraries in the States have copies that you may be able to locate one near you. The title of the book is "Transactions of the South African Philosophical Society. Volume X.--Part 2.", by Henry Charles Schunke Hollway, published by the Society in Cape Town in 1898. The sub-title is "Bibliography of Books, Pamphlets, Maps, Magazine Articles, &c., Relating To South Africa, With Special Reference To Geography. From The Time Of Vasco Da Gama To The Formation Of The British South Africa Company In 1888.". ASIN B000889SXO, OCLC 78431933. [Phew!]

It catalogs publications written in English, French, German and Italian (among others) and lists 2099 separate entries with publication dates ranging from 1503 to 1888. (Nos. 1262 through 1346 being those published in 1879 alone!) Despite the indications of the sub-title it contains many works on the AZW, politics, and various aspects of the amaZulu. As I can''t read German, Italian or some of the other languages included (and my French seems to have devolved to the point where it's only good for getting my faced slapped!) I can't offer any other insights (but I'd sure like to find many of publications listed).

Best

Michael
Anyone know of any 'Ulundi' books?