rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Martin Everett

Peter,

Thats what I initially thought - particularly being specific about the clasp details - document or a medal perhaps?

Many thanks - I did not have the medal roll to hand at home.

William Seymour

Peter

All the information that I have originated from one of Uncles and I do not have copies of birth certs. etc as they were passed to his son. Therefore I only have a summary which, despite having a quick look on Ancestry and FreeBMD and drawn a blank, I can not corroborate. His profession is given as "Professional Soldier"

George Alfred Morris b 26/11/1871 [location not given]. Son of Nathaniel (a seaman) and Charlotte Rebecca Jeffrey. Married about 1902/4 [location and exact date not given] Sara Hanna Stuart, widowed Harris, daughter of William and Sarah Frost b 31/01/1865 in North St. Giles Middlesex. 1 child Rosevere Bessie b 13/12/1905 [location not given].

A quick look in the WW1 Medal rolls produced 1 candidate but I have one major reservation, which you may be able to dispel. George Alfred Morris joined the Middlesex Regiment as a Private on 14/11/1916. Reg No. G/53915. Discharged 04/02/1919. Cause of discharge is "Para of KN? 392.x01.KN. A029/19". Address is given as 6 Wateville Road, Tottenham. My reservation is this: At the time he enlisted he would have been 44 years of age. That seems rather old for a "Professional Soldier" to have enlisted or had the terms of conscription been altered so as to include him?

Notwithstanding that, I have a poor photo of him in Military Uniform, with following caption below: " A professional soldier, who served in the Boer War and later in the First World War in France. While in the Boer War he was with the troops under Col Baden-Powel who were beseiged in Mafeking in May 1900". Hence my original question for the forum!!

Regards
JK
peterw

JK

My comment about the additional information related to Kelly - as the precise duration of service must (originally) have come from his service record which would have given the regiment.

Thanks for the additional details on your relation - here's a link to King's Regulations although I can't be certain that your numerals are listed:
http://www.1914-1918.net/discharged.htm

According to British Battles and Medals, the only British troops present during the siege of Mafeking were 1 from the Life Guards, 3 of the 17th Lancers and 1 from the Royal West Kents. A number of men from the colonial units had previous military service with the British, but (according to BBM) none was named Morris. You will need to check the QSA roll at Kew to be certain but possibly he was there after the siege....

Peter
William Seymour

Peter W.

Thank you for your unintentional help - my response was directed at Peter E.!!

Please help me, again, to understand how this quote:

"Two days after the start of the war, the Boers laid siege to the town of Mafeking, which was occupied by 1200 British soldiers commanded by Colonel Robert Baden-Powell. After 217 days, on the 16th May 1900, the town was relieved by Lord Frederick Roberts and his troups"

Ref: http://www.twickenham-museum.org.uk/kids_detail.asp?ContentID=354

Reconciles with your response that there were only a handfull of British troups within the seige area. Or have I misunderstood again?!

Regards

JK
peterw

JK

The Boer War is not my field of expertise so I'm relying on my reference books (BBM as above).
In this instance, the term "British" is a blanket term for non-Boer, and compromised the colonial and volunteer units on the British side (regiments raised in the UK were known as imperial troops). There were approximately 1300 officers and men present and since some medals went unclaimed around 1150 were issued.

The largest of these units was the Mafeking Town Guard (513) followed by the Protectorate Regt Frontier Force (424, including the 3 to the 17th Lancers) and Bechunaland Rifles (125).

The rest are scattered in small numbers across a few dozen units but it looks unlikely that Morris was present.

Peter
George Alfred Morris