rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Patrick Kears - Rorke's Drift defender
peterw

For those interested in such things, I have just been advised that the South Africa medal to 972 Patrick Kears 2/24th has been sold by a medal dealer in London for �25,000.

He is a confirmed Rorke's Drift defender.

Peter
Peter Ewart

Peter

Interesting! Still no let up at all, then, in this inexorable upward trend of sale prices for SA campaign medals of R/Drift defenders, all the more notable this time as I can't recall offhand Kears having being mentioned in the accounts of other survivors, nor having left an account himself, nor being among the wounded or decorated, all factors which might have pushed the price up.

Given current investment uncertainties (there's a nice understatement) I wonder whether the usual switch from equities to gold at times like this might be less advisable than moving wholesale into SA medals for RD defenders instead, though I fear most of us have missed the boat!

Peter
peterw

There was a major two day auction in London last week and prices for "quality" items were very strong. I think medals are seen as a safe haven for money, in that if you buy at the right price you are unlikely to lose 33% in 12 months as with pensions and ISAs. I don't see "investors" flooding the market, but that may change. But the majority of collectors I know buy because they have a passion for the subject, rather than because they hope to make a profit.

Kears is what I would describe as an "ordinary" defender for the reasons you have outlined. The last few medals to defenders, with commission, all exceeded �30,000 but these included the group to Lugg (exceptional!), Bushe (wounded) and Gallagher (NCO). However one could argue that a shop price of �25,000, while not cheap, is comparatively good value.

For many, a Rorke's Drift defender will be the pinnacle of a collection, simply because it is without parallel.

Peter
HARMAN

LEGACY Volume 3 includes Kris�s research on Private Joseph Bromwich, Private George Deacon (Power), Private Patrick Kears, Drummer James Keefe, Corporal John Baker French, Private James Marshall, Private Thomas Moffatt � all of B Company 2/24th; and Gunner Arthur Howard (N Battery Royal Artillery).
Patrick Kears - Rorke's Drift defender