rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Any New Anglo-Zulu War 1879 Books For 2009 ?
Coll

With next year being the 130th Anniversary, I was wondering if there is any knowledge of Zulu War book projects being undertaken, now or in the near future, either for later in 2009 or going into 2010 ?

I know my question is a bit previous, but I'm usually trailing behind on such matters.

Thanks in advance.

Coll
Harold Raugh

Hello Coll,

I'll go ahead and respond to your message and possibly draw fire from other list members!

I expect my "The Anglo-Zulu War: A Selected Bibliography" to be published by Scarecrow Press in the U.S. in 2010. (It will be basically in the same format as my 377-page British Military Operations in Egypt and the Sudan: A Selected Bibliography, which covered the years 1882-1899 and was published in May 2008 by Scarecrow Press.)

A number of Rorkesdriftvc.com forum members have already contributed to my current AZW project by sending me relevant article and book suggestions for inclusion in this AZW bibliography, and I greatly appreciate their assistance. They will all be mentioned by name for their assistance in the published book. Even though I have already compiled 235 pages for this project, I am sure there are still many more AZW articles, books, documents, and other sources, many written by forum members, that I am not aware of. I would be grateful to learn of current and past AZW articles and books written by forum members, or other AZW items published in regional or other little-known periodicals that are not widely circulated. For articles, I would be grateful to receive submissions containing this information:

Author's name, title of article, journal name, volume/number/date/pages

For a book, please send

Author's name, title of book, place of publication, publisher, date of publication

I hope to make this AZW bibliography as authoritative as possible, but I can only do so with your AZW expertise and unsurpassed knowledge of AZW sources, historiography, and bibliography. The end result will hopefully benefit all of us, as well as new "converts" to AZW studies. Please send me your bibliography submissions via this forum, a private message, my own e-mail address ([email protected]), or at my website (http://hraugh.com).

Let me please thank you in advance for your contributions to this AZW project.

Cheers,
Harold Raugh[/u]
Coll

Harold

Thanks for your detailed reply.

Sounds like a great project.

Coll
Harold Raugh

Hello Coll,

Thank you very much for your encouraging message. I believe this is a worthwhile project and will be helpful when published.

My working table of contents is enumerated on the thread "Anyone know of any Ulundi books?" in a message sent on 31 August 2008.

Thanks again.

Cheers,
Harold
Harold Raugh

Greetings:

Another new AZW book scheduled for publication in 2009 is:

Gillings, Ken. Battles of the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879. Ashanti Books.

More information can be found at http://www.ashanti-books.com/ANGLO_ZULU_WAR.html

Cheers,
Harold Raugh
Coll

Harold

Thanks for letting us know.

Coll
Harold Raugh

Good morning, Coll,

I will continue to post information on new/forthcoming AZW books as I come across it.

Cheers,
Harold
Coll

Thanks Harold

I've marked down the title of your own book mentioned above, hopefully being purchased next year.

I'll certainly be watching out for your AZW 1879 book in 2010.

Both of these titles will be extremely helpful.

Coll
Harold Raugh

Many thanks, Coll. Until these books come out, there's still plenty of AZW material to read and keep busy!

All the best,
Harold
Another New Book for 2009
Harold Raugh

Greetings:

Another new Anglo-Zulu War book seemingly scheduled for publication in 2009 is Carlos Roca's Rorke's Drift: The Inmortal [sic] Anglo-Zulu War (N.p.: AF Editions: June 2009). The ISBN of this 315-page paperback book is 8496016889.

Roca earlier wrote Zulu: La batalla de Isandlwana [Zulu: The Battle of Isandlwana], published in Spanish by Inedita in 2006.

Good reading!
Harold
Damian O'Connor

I'm hoping to get something out in Feb 2009.
Damian
Harold Raugh

Hello Damian,
Congratulations; this is a superb accomplishment and great news!
Could you please give us an inkling of the book's subject, title, and publisher? Will this provide us new information or insight in AZW studies?
Thanks,
Harold
Coll

Harold

Thanks for the updates.

I wonder what Carlos Roca's views are, in his Isandlwana and Rorke's Drift books. I haven't checked if they will be translated into English for a larger market.

I've been quite curious lately about other countries and their authors, who write or have written AZW books, especially about these two battles.

What would be their views too, I've been thinking.

Don't know how many of these books are published in English versions, so perhaps I should get some language dictionaries, to help me get the gist of what they are saying.

It would be interesting to know.

Coll
AMB

Coll,

My posting about Isandlwana The Bitter Zulu Victory (posted 17 Nov 08) gives a quick breakdown of Roca's first book, now tranlated into English - Buy the book in English and it'll save you a few hours with the Spanish dictionary!

Regards,

AMB
a.j

There is also a fictional book coming out by Saul David called Zulu Hart

"George Hart is the bastard son of a pillar of the British military establishment and a half Irish, half Zulu actress.

Bullied at school for his suspiciously dark skin and lack of a father, Hart soon learns to fight � and win. At eighteen, his world is shaken by his mother�s revelation that his anonymous father is willing to give him a vast inheritance � provided he can prove himself worthy of the prize as an officer in the King�s Dragoon Guards.

At a time when racism and prejudice are rife in Victorian society, Hart struggles to come to terms with his identity. Forced to leave the army, he decides to head to South Africa, and a fresh start.

But George Hart has soldiering in his blood, and once in Africa the urge to serve again is strong. Yet now he is caught between two fierce and unyielding forces as Britain drives towards war with the Zulus.

Hart must make a choice - and fight for his life." Source- http://www.sauldavid.co.uk/books.htm#
Any New Anglo-Zulu War 1879 Books For 2009 ?