rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
mike snook 2

G'day Keith

Well done you - I very much look forward to reading that. It's a subject that's been waiting for a competent hand for a long time - so I for one am glad it's you. Best news I've had all week - who will publish it and when?

Like the title.

Regards

Mike
rich

......And maybe would I be able to get it here or must I go "overland" for it? With Mike's books, I'm lucky to get them here. Thanks for the heads up on Keith's "prequel!"

Keith,

We're all poised to add your forth-coming book, The Wedding Feast War: The Final Tragedy of the Xhosa People, to our libraries!

I can only add to Mike's request: May we have more details?

AMB
Robin

Keith

I have a copy of
"the Dead will Arise"
Nongqawuse and the Great Xhosa Cattle-Killing of 1856-57 by Jeff Peres.

Can you recommend a good reference source for the period between this work and your forthcoming eagerly awaited book
Keith Smith

Gentlemen,

Thanks for your very kind remarks. At least I know I shall sell two or three copies. All I can tell you is that I have made use of every British Parliamentary paper from 1835 to 1878 (about 16), every War Office and Colonial Office paper covering the war (25 of them) plus pretty well every contemporary book written covering the period.

Mention was made on another thread about a book by Noel Mostert: Frontiers, and I recall it might have received a poor rating from contributors. I used it extensively for the period up to the British takeover of the Colony and found it to be most interesting. Its only drawback, perhaps, is its propensity to cause hernias (it runs to 1350 pages).

I have also found perhaps the most comprehensive bibliography of South African history in the Cambirdge History of the British Empire, vol. 8: South Africa.

If Alan and Peter will allow, I will give more publishing details later in the year. Right now, I am catching a plane to SA in three hours time, so must go.

KIS
Coll

Pity there isn't a pay-up facility, if bulk-buying AZW-related books, as I'll never catch up at the rate I'm going ! Sad

Coll
AMB

Keith,

I found Mostert's book very interesting. Yes, big, but one of those 'must have' books for a southern African library!

AMB
Coll

Harold

Any chance of an update on the publication of your 'must get' book ?

I was hoping to tell you about a most important book related to the AZW, in particular, connected to one of the main participants, not by me I must add, but elsewhere, however a dead-end has been reached.

This would have put a bit more 'heart' into what has gone before, but is out of my hands.

I can only cross my fingers, that 'out-of-the-blue' this publication makes an appearance, to be 'snapped up' by those wanting to know more about him.

I don't wish to be mysterious, but the thought of such a book is hugely exciting ! Very Happy

Maybe it'll be added to a reprint of your forthcoming title. Wink

Such a book would be essential to helping understand the make-up of a man, blamed for so much, from a human side of events.

Coll
Harold Raugh

Hi Coll,

Thank you for your message.

I would be happy to know about the publication details of the "mystery" book you referred to. If the book does get published out of the blue, please let us on the list know.

I am getting ready to wrap up my own AZW bibliography project. I completed the introduction over the weekend. I have to check a few more sources, add all the London Gazette entries, then number all entries and compile the author/editor index. My deadline to the publisher is the end of June, but I should be submitting it a few months earlier than that. Right now, I have put together over 550 typed pages -- and many members of the RDVC forum have made key contributions to this project (and they will be acknowledged by name in the book). I hope this AZW bibliography will be of enduring interest, use, and value to all of us when it is published later this year by Scarecrow Press.

Thanks again, Coll.

Cheers,
Harold
Martin Everett

Harold,

It is a pity that you were not able to make to Brecon to include some of rarer documents held before publication.

AMB

Coll,

Hey, you've got us all thinking now! Come on, can't we have more details?!

AMB
Harold Raugh

Thank you, Martin. What rarer documents are these?
Regards,
Harold
Paul Bryant-Quinn

My understanding is that Harold's project is primarily bibliographical (he will correct me if I am wrong). An author engaged on this kind of research would not normally be expected to list the manuscript or documentary sources held in libraries or archives: apart from any other consideration, it would make his publication prohibitively long.
XHOSA
Chris

Keith Smith wrote:

If Alan and Peter will allow, I will give more publishing details later in the year. Right now, I am catching a plane to SA in three hours time, so must go.
KIS

Keith

Any update news on your book ???

I have a copy of

"Frontiers"

and have been reading

"Edges of War" Prof Milton

also

"Versatile Genius" Yvonne Garson

"Forts of the Eastern Cape" Prof Colin Coetzee

I have visited the areas in question so would be most interested in reading more about them / the history.

Thanks

Chris
Peter Ewart

Chris

Due out very shortly indeed. See the thread under the title of the book (The Wedding Feast War) begun by Keith a week or so ago in this section (books). A matter of days now, hopefully.

If you are familiar with some of the locations and have an interest in the history of those parts, you're in for a treat.

Peter
Any New Anglo-Zulu War 1879 Books For 2009 ?