rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Rorke's Drift:The True Story
Robert John

You can now preorder Ian Knight's new book, Rorke's Drift: The True Story, from Waterstones/Amazon.

All the best,

Robert

Robert,

You could have encouraged everyone to order from the RRW museum so that you are supporting the museum and not these large outlets. Afterall this large outlets have not helped one inch in the research of these AZW books.

Rorke,s Drift:The True Story
Robert John

Martin,

Many people are waiting for the publication of this book and all I did was let them know where they could purchase it----I checked the shop section of the RRW Museum and couldn't see it anywhere otherwise I would have said that it was available from there!
I'm sure if people want to wait to buy the book from the Museum they will do so and of couse I agree the Museum should be supported but it is a free world and people are entitled to purchase things from any outlet they like and I didn't stress that it should be bought from these large outlets---simply that it could be preordered !!
Robert

Dear Robert

The reason it not on the RRW Shop is that Ian Knight's book is not published yet. If people want to invest their money in advance with Amazon - all well and good.

I was making the point that if these large outlets continue corner the market as they appear to doing - then there will be NO resource material for authors to refer to. Income from our shop is vital ingredient for our survival at Brecon. We can despatch as fast as Amazon and we only debit card card accounts when the order is despached. I realise that it is a free marketplace but not a level playing field.

Robert John

Dear Martin,

Your point is valid and I agree entirely with what you say---I hope this doesn't bar me from the Museum when I visit in 2006 !

All the best,

Robert

Martin

Please do you have a release date for this book yet? and please put me down for a copy from your Museum shop.

Andy
PeterD

Martin may have more accurate information, but this website is showing a Dec. 1 publication date:

http://bookshop.blackwell.co.uk/bobuk/scripts/home.jsp?action=search&source=3266474136&type=isbn&term=1853676489
ANDY LEE

Thanks Peter - most helpful.

Andy
Martin Everett

Dear All,

I have personally spoken to one of the Directors of Greenhill Books this morning. Ian's manuscript is not yet finished. There is no publication date for this book yet. It will probably follow that for Mike Snook - again Greenhill Books on the same subject. I will guess Apr/May 2006.

So you can invest your money now with Blackwell's if you wish.

ANDY LEE

Thanks Martin

I'll await further news and place my order with your good selfs as soon as released.

Andy
a.j

I thought it was out june 2006
Andrew Garton

Martin
I'm sorry to say but anytime I read your post it seems that you have something negative to say. This forum is for all of us to enjoy and to share are different views! I don't see where it should matter to you at all where anyone spends their money.
Dewi Evans

Martin,

I'm very sorry but I must agree with Andrew Garton, especially with regard to negative posts.

Dewi.
Paul Bryant-Quinn

Andrew, Dewi

With respect, I'm afraid I can't agree with your criticism of Martin's posts, however kindly meant. The points he made on the 14th are perfectly valid and were accepted as such by Robert.

Although a relative newcomer to this list (since August twelvemonth), I have found Martin to be unfailingly patient and helpful in his response to my beginner's enquiries, and I have no doubt but that other contributors will feel similarly. A glance at his postings on the old forum will show both the extent and the quality of his contribution.

Martin's work, and that of his staff at Brecon, does not always get the recognition it deserves; and as he pointed out, the survival of the museum itself is by no means certain. I personally don't want to think about what might happen to its remaining archive of AZW documents and militaria under those circumstances. If we want to keep it, it deserves our support, and I for one am grateful to him.

Kind regards,

Paul
Andrew Garton

Paul
I for one have spent my money many times with the RRW! And my love of the AZW has seen me pay double the cost,which I'm more then happy to do,where will I find the AZW in North Dakota U.S.? It's not very main stream. I have to live my love for the AZW through my books, I don't have the means to fly to Brecon at every whim. Thats why I love this site so much because I can find people who share my love and passion. There have been people who are known very well in the circles of the AZW, to have helped me out with questions I had and I a total stranger to them. Some I was able to contact via email and they were very helpful to me. So that is my reason for feeling a sting from Maj.Everett's post. And let there be know doubt as to how thankful I am for people such as himself who work so hard to keep the memories of those brave heroes of the AZW alive today.
Rorke's Drift:The True Story