rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Zulu Blu-Ray Edition Released 3rd November
Coll

I had thought this would be able to be played on a standard dvd player, but it appears you need a specific Blu-Ray dvd player. Is this right ?

What is the main expectations with this version, and how much difference to those editions that have previously been ?

Has anyone seen a Blu-Ray film and does it tick all the boxes, regarding quality compared to others ?

Thanks

Coll
Sawubona

Coll,
Yes, you're quite correct in that a Blu-Ray DVD will NOT play on a standard DVD player. If it makes you feel any better, a standard DVD will play on a Blu-Ray player, although not in Hi-Definition of course. To make matters more confusing, Blu-Ray requires a full 1080 pixel TV in order to get the total HD effect. If you have a standard (400 something pixel) TV , a Blu-Ray disk in a BR player will only give you standard definition, although it will play just fine. If however you're like me and you have a (740? pixel) television, a Blu-Ray disk and player will be better than a standard DVD and player, but not any better than a standard disk in one of the newer progressive scan DVD players which upgrade regular, non-BluRay disks. Confused yet?

The way I'm going to go about the change is to stay with my mid-range resolution TV and replace my progressive scan DVD player with a Blu-Ray player when I feel like the prices have stabilized a bit. From that point on, I'll only buy BR disks. I can then play all of my standard DVD collection at 740 pixels (I assume a BR player will also upgrade them to 740) as well as any BR disk at a lower resolution. Eventually I'll replace my TV (which sadly I purchased only about a year ago at the terrifying price of $1100) with a true High Definition (1080) TV. Either that or I'll go to plan "B", take out a second house mortgage, and buy the Blu-Ray player and TV at the same time. Sad If you don't have a 740 pixel TV right now, be VERY careful you don't go out and buy an "HD TV" that can't go the full 1080--It will be obsolete in a year! They're less expensive and often advertised as "high definition" but they are NOT, repeat ARE NOT Blu-Ray definition capable. That's the trap that caught me and if you've got your heart set on saving money anyway, I know where you can buy one (only slightly used) for cheap. Shipping from my house to yours won't be inexpensive though.

Last edited by Sawubona on Sun Oct 19, 2008 5:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sawubona

Oh, true High Definition viewing is an experience not to be believed, but like most quantum upgrades lately it's just a matter of time before you take it for granted-- at least until you're forced to watch a not Blu-Ray television at a friends house or such and you find yourself saying annoying things like "I can't believe you can watch this! Move into the 21st century for Kripe's sake." You really see the difference when you can switch back and forth.

If you need some bona fides about my credentials in this field, I'll tell you that my first thought when I heard about the "new" VCR's soon to be available (many years ago) was that I'll soon be able to watch ZULU every day! Seriously, that the honest truth!
rich

..and and while we're on this HD-tv business I'd just like to inform our US group that if you have an analog tv set remember it will not work from Feb 17 2009 on. Bye bye analog signals! Don't be one of the 8.4% that aren't yet ready!.. Cool

Coll,

HD is worth getting, albeit, it ain't cheap!

Test cricket has just got even better.....you can see each blade of grass more clearly than you can when you're in the Mound Stand at Lord's.

AMB
Coll

Anyone considering buying this new edition tomorrow, or some time soon ?

Or is this a silly question, as it is obvious many will ? Rolling Eyes

Coll
Carl Daeche

Have watched the blu-ray version on the home cinema set up (projector and screen).

The picture is simply fantastic the detail is amazing. But the sound is still mono through front right and left speakers only!!!!

Sheldon I would be interested if you can tell me why the picture got the HD treatment but the soundtrack didn't?

Cheers

Carl
peterw

Carl

I thought you were joking about the cinema when you made this comment after the last Chatham event:

Next time its a BBQ at my gaff followed by a screening of Zulu in the cinema after which we will retire to the garden for Gin and tonics so Neil can let a few blanks off to keep the cats out!

So when are the invites going out?

Not sure it's G+T garden weather at the moment though.

Peter
Sheldon Hall

Carl, are you sure it's just mono and not two-track or three-track stereo? I don't have Blu-ray as yet and wasn't involved in the disc's production. The sound on the Paramount Region 2 DVD was stereo (unlike the MGM/UA Region 1 DVD, which was mono), so I would expect that to have been carried over to the Blu-ray. If no further work was done on the soundtrack it is probably because the original elements and/or masters no longer exist. To say any more than this would be guesswork!
Sawubona

Sheldon, Carl, et al.,

There's a comprehensive review of the new high-definition ZULU DVD at "blu-ray.com" including a rather in depth analysis of the audio rendering. Apparently it is, in fact, stereo and enough of an improvement over that of the most recent prior release that the author suspects that the source audio is different-- possibly from an MGM American copy.

I recommend to all fans of ZULU to take a look at the review, if for no other reason than to affirm their suspicion that Sheldon's recent attention is among the best things to happen to the film since its release in '64. That unsolicited testimonial ought to be worth a book signing someday, eh? Wink
Sheldon Hall

Sawubona,

Worthy of a book signing and that tenner I gave you earlier!*

Thanks for the link to blu-ray.com, not a site I was familiar with. It is indeed a very favourable review - enough to make me think I should get a player soon. In fact it compares the audio to the mono Region 1 MGM DVD. Evidently the reviewer had not seen and heard the Region 2 DVD, which - as I noted in my previous posting - probably has the same stereo mix as heard on the blu-ray (also released by Paramount).

*joke
Blue ray here we come..
leightarrant

Well, On the strength of what I've read about Blue Ray, it seems that I'm going to have to get my wallet out and purchase a blue ray player. Then, it seems I'll have to gradually replace all my fav movies from DVD to Blue ray as and when they arrive on the market. ZULU has obvisously prompted me to go forth (!) but with the blue ray disc's now being pushed big time, it seems this is natuarally the way forward if you like collecting and watching great movies. HOW THE WEST WAS ONE seems a strange choice to launch ahead of some better titles, but at least its another disc that appeals to me. In respect of what I've read about the ZULU release, it seems a little hurried, especially that the sound in is mono....and one would question does it carry all the extras like the newly released DVD region 2? So once again, just like when VHS turned into Widescreen VHS, then the early days of DVD's..we have to change and turn to yet another new format, and spend monies once again on titles that we've purchased before many a time! One day I think we'll be down to disc's of even better quality than blue ray, where the disc's are the size of a ten p piece, coloured in various colours, and perhaps called something like 'film disc's minitures' or 'Dinky Mov's' (!) See you in HMV..........
Carl Daeche

Sheldon,

Thanks for the response - my apologies it is in fact stereo but I was hoping for the full HD audio experience also! Imaging the soundtrack through six speakers instead of two....

Peter,

The BBQ is definitely a go'er but it will have to be in teh summer I am afraid.. The cinema can take six at a pinch but room for more on the floor. Knowing what Neil A is like after a couple of G & T's I am sure he will be comfortable...

For those of you considering a Blu-ray system. Go for it all movies look better on HD and some of the recent war movies take the experience to a new level. Invest in a home projector ( mine was less than �600) and a home cinema surround system and you are ready to watch Zulu in almost 3D. The close ups of Baker and Caine are incredible (did Bromhead have aluminium fillings?) you can see the texture in the uniforms making out the velvet cuffs and detail... Mind you its easier to spot all the factual discrepencies...Never mind still a brilliant couple of hours.

If anyones up for the BBQ in sunny Broadstairs let me know. I will also be auctioning a large part of my collection as I prepare for emigration on retirement?

Cheers all
rich

Re: Blu-Ray...

Just to get this on the radar. I've read the pirates are doing pretty well in developing seemingly bona-fide blu-ray dvds. It is going so well that my company is very concerned since this results in massive dollar losses. They come in great packaging and some can hardly tell the difference either with the physical dvd or even when it gets on the screen. Apparently it's in some "AVHD" called format. And as Bela Lugosi said, "Bevare, bevare."

Click on the following link for a review of the "Zulu" Blu-ray, which comments:

'I cannot think of any film on either BD or HD DVD that can rival "Zulu" in Hi Def. Films like "2001" and "Bladerunner" are great Hi Def transfers but "Zulu" simply betters them. Is this the best Hi Def transfer to date? I seriously am beginning to think that it is. Treat yourself to this incredible Hi Def experience and pick up a copy of this disc without delay. Believe me, the end result will exceed your expectations, it is that good.'

I may have to buy one of these new-fangled Blu-gramophone players just to find out if he's right!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0058777/board/nest/123967922
Zulu Blu-Ray Edition Released 3rd November