rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Past And Present. By James Chapman
Coll

Past And Present : National Identity And The British Historical Film.
by James Chapman.

Sheldon, this might be one you know.

The front cover has a picture of Stanley Baker and Michael Caine in Zulu.

Any opinion on its contents ?

Thankyou

Coll
The Scorer

I tried to get this from Newport Library some while ago, but with no success - although I now can't remember why.

I'd also be interested in Sheldon's view of it, please .... thanks!

Smile
Coll

Scorer

It does look interesting, judging by the details of the contents.

Discussing how events of the times, can reflect in the way films are made, including sometimes changing historical fact to match.

An intriguing subject.

I've not seen Sheldon on for a while, which is a pity, as there are a couple of questions he may be able to answer about this and two other books.

Sheldon - Where are you ?

Coll
The Scorer

It doesn't seem as if Newport Library has it in stock, but I'm trying to order it. I'll let you know what it's like if I can get it.

Smile
rich

I saw a description of Chapman's book and it appears to be a very interesting book delving into British films from the 30's to the 90's and it analyzes how the films looked at the "imagined past to comment on the present". Zulu is in there, Charge of the Light Brigade, This England, Henry V all get comment and analysis. I'd get it too.

Scorer.

Thankyou.

I'd appreciate a review of it, as I'll not be able to get any more books until next year.

Coll
Sheldon Hall

Apologies for my recent absence - I've been very busy of late! But I can certainly recommend James Chapman's book (it's only fair to admit that I made a small contribution to it by reading and correcting a draft of the chapter on "Zulu", but I have no financial stake in it!). James is a good, accessible writer and the book is full of solid history and analysis, not just of Our Favourite Film. He has also written books on, among other subjects, British TV adventure series ("The Avengers" and the like) and a recently updated volume on the Bond films, "Licence to Thrill". Go for it!
Sheldon Hall

Oh, and James has written a book on British films of World War Two also. Another worthwhile purchase.
rich

hello Sheldon.

You know I was wondering whether Mr. Chapman would have sourced you. Glad he did.
And a quick question.
I picked up the fine oldie "The Dambusters" and I did hear that there was to be a supposed remake of it. Anything to add on that? Thanks.

Rich,

This has been a rumoured remake for some years now - at one time it was attached to Mel Gibson, namesake of Squadron Leader Guy G. - but I have heard more recently around the problems created by the name of Guy Gibson's dog. I'm sure I don't need to spell them out! Suffice to say it may be renamed "Nidge" or something similar...

I'll believe the film is happening when I see it, though!
rich

So it is "Nidge", then eh? Wow, that's a twist!

Simon Rosbottom

American versions had "Trigger" dubbed for "Nigger" (the name of Gibson's dog, and one of the code words). The Morse code received in the Ops room was still "Nigger" though.

1 September 2006 | From wenn.com | See recent WENN news

Lord of the Rings film-maker Peter Jackson has signed to produce a remake of classic British war film The Dam Busters. Christian Rivers, who animated Jackson's last project King Kong, will direct the film which the Oscar winner insists will be "as authentic as possible and as close to the spirit of the original as possible". The 1954 movie told the true story of bouncing bombs that were developed by the British army to destroy German dams during World War II. It starred Michael Redgrave. Jackson, who enquired about the rights to the story when he was making initial plans for his Lord of the Rings movies, could only make the film after Mel Gibson's Icon production company pulled out. He tells film website ScreenDaily, "(My agent) came back and said that Icon had the rights and that Mel Gibson was going to direct and possibly act in it. Obviously that didn't happen." He adds the new film, which will shoot next year with a $30-40 million budget, will reveal much more about the missions than the original. Jackson says, "So much of it was still secret. They weren't even allowed to show the bomb itself and had to create a fictionalized bomb."

Before anyone picks me up on this - it's a direct cut and paste job. I know it that the original was made in 1955 (released 4 Oct 55) and it was the RAF not the Army!

I suppose we could chisel away at the dam with our bayonets....might take a while though. Very Happy

M
Coll

Sheldon

Thanks for the details.

Coll
Past And Present. By James Chapman