rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Isandlwana The Bitter Zulu Victory
AMB

I have recently purchased an interesting addition to my AZW library:

Isandlwana The Bitter Zulu Victory by Carlos Roca Gonzalez
Published as part of the Wars and Battles Series (this being number 2) by AF Editores of Spain
[originally, Isandlwana la amarga Victoria Zulu in Spanish in 2006]
ISBN 978-84-96935-03-7

A quick look through shows a general history of the Zulu people (1488 � 1879) and the 1879 campaign up to an incl the great battle. Many familiar pictures and one or two not so � incl a 20th century illustration from Japan and author�s own photos of the battlefield.

Appendix I � Battle Order of the Zulu Impi at Isandlwana
Appendix II - Battle Order of the British Forces at Isandlwana
Appendix III � Losses in Action of the 1st Bn of the 24th Regt at Isandlwana
Appendix IV � Losses in Action of the 2nd Bn of the 24th Regt at Isandlwana
Selected Bibliography � interesting as it lists two of Ian Knight�s books in Spanish (Harold � one for you!) Interestingly, Ashe, French and Clements aside, all books consulted come from 1990 � 2008 period.

Overall, the book looks like an Osprey-sized paper back. Attractive colour illustration of a group of 24th Regt formed up around the Regtl Colours (clearly some artistic licence here by the artist, Guissepe Raba) during the battle on the front cover.

One or two typos cause amusement rather than offence; the lack of ammo debate is explored.

I have not yet read this book cover to cover, but I would consider it worth adding to one�s shelves if only to gather a non-native English speaking perspective (even if the author has, by necessity, had to rely on native English speaking source material).

AMB
Coll

AMB

Thanks for the details.

Coll
Isandlwana The Bitter Zulu Victory