rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
'Assegai', Newsletter of the 1879 Group
Harold Raugh

Greetings --

I am continuing to diligently work on my Anglo-Zulu War bibliography. One significant source I have not been able to locate are copies of Assegai, the Newsletter of the 1879 Group. I would presume copies of the Assegai contain interesting articles that deserve to be known by all of us and included in my bibliography. Would anyone possessing copies of the Assegai please provide me with a list of articles contained in issues of the Assegai? Thank you. Please try to include all relevant bibliographical information in this format:

Mason, Graham. "Sergeants at the Drift." Assegai vol./no. (September/October 2005): pages.

Thank you very much.
Cheers,
Harold Raugh
oldcontemtible

Harold,

I can't believe I "recycled" them, but I can't find them either.
When I do, since I was a member for about 6 years, and never missed a copy, I'll let you know.
got my shovel and lamp...............

Guy
Martin Everett

Dear Harold,

I have probably got copies of most of the journals produced by AZWHS and AZWRS and 1879 Group - worthy as your task is - it is difficult doing it outside UK.

Have you included Grenfell's memoirs? or Sgt Hornibrook work? or Keith Smith's new work 'A Lexicon of Zulu Military Units'?

Request
Sapper Mason

Very Happy
Dear Harold ,
Having been the former Archivist / Record Keeper of the 1879 Group i believe i have all ( or most of the newsletters concerned ) the ones you require whilst i was in that group , did you have any luck with the contact i gave you earlier ? , if not i`ll look up the issues i have and list items contained , i believe i have your home address Harold ? . I am prepared to send you these if wanted , remember how close we are to Christmas though . Let me know your requirements , Cheers , " Sapper " ( Graham Mason ) Wink
Harold Raugh

Dear Guy, Martin, Sapper, and Friends,

Thank you very much for your helpful messages.

Let me please give you an update on the status of my AZW bibliography project. I have copies of all issues of the journal of the Anglo-Zulu War Historical Society (edited by Dr. Greaves). Last weekend I was provided (through the kindness of editor John Young) copies of the table of contents pages of all issues of the Anglo-Zulu War Research Society journal. Earlier today, even before Sapper's thoughtful offer, another forum member by private message offered to send me copies of all issues of the Assegai, which I accepted with gratitude. I continue to look for miscellaneous AZW-related articles from any and all periodicals, old and new (except for Soldiers of the Queen, which I already have). Thank you.

I have already included Grenfell's memoirs and Keith Smith's new book in my bibliography, and I ordered earlier this evening a copy of the latter (plus six other books) from the RRW website. Thanks for making this available. I am not familiar with Sgt. Hornibrook's work, however, and would be grateful to receive additional details. (I thought SGT Hornibrook was KIA at Isandlwana.)

Twenty years ago it would have been very difficult to compile a good bibliography of a British military topic outside of the UK. I respectfully disagree with this notion today, due largely to enhanced technology. I believe my 378-page British Military Operations in Egypt and the Sudan: A Selected Bibliography (Lanham, Maryland: Scarecrow Press, 2008) shows that a pretty good bibliography can be compiled from outside the UK -- and I have been in Germany since 2006, not the U.S. E-mail, the Internet, and various websites have made such a project possible. I can send an e-mail message to Mr. Celle at the Killie Campbell Africana Library and receive a helpful response overnight. Many archives and document repositories, such as TNA and many others, have online listings of documents. (I have been to TNA on five separate occasions, once for over a month, researching various projects, in addition to other libraries and archives.) This does not, however, take the place of good old traditional research. For every AZW article, book, and document I read, I check out each and every foot/endnote and bibliography for additional sources, request them via interlibrary loan, and do the same for the new sources. (Sometimes this is mind-numbing drudgery[!], but since I made a commitment, I will complete the project.) Plus, from a personal standpoint, I learned quite a bit, about various British, African, and other sources and repositories, methodology, etc., from my earlier project, which will make this AZW bibliography even better. A diligent person, with a knowledge of British military history, research methodologies, and document repositories -- plus the Internet -- can complete a decent product.

But such a project is not completed alone. The success of my forthcoming AZW bibliography is assisted by this forum, and especially good and helpful people like you, Guy, Martin, and Sapper -- and the 34 other people I already have listed in the book's acknowledgments!

Thank you very much for your interest and assistance.

Best wishes,
Harold
Wanted ???
Sapper Mason

Harold , Smile
I am more than happy to list ALL relevant articles in the " ASSEGAI " if required , i know you have been offered said newsletters but was wondering if you want those listings now ? , Cheers , " Sapper " . Cool Cool Cool
Harold Raugh

Dear Sapper,

Thank you very much for your generous offer. Another person, however, sent me copies of all issues of Assegai two days ago, so I will not need the contents listing. Thank you very much.

What would be helpful, however, is if you (and other forum members) could kindly provide me with a listing of your own Anglo-Zulu War related published articles and books. I know there are many AZW authors on the forum, so please don't be shy!

If an article, please include author's name, title of article, periodical name, volume/issue number, date of publication, and pages.
If it is an article published only on the Internet, please include author's name, title of article, periodical or website name, and website URL.
If it is a book, please include author's name, title of book, place/date of publication and publisher.

Summaries of the submitted article/book contents would also be very helpful.

Thank you again for your excellent support and assistance.

Cheers,
Harold
Martin Everett

Harold,

Have you included the Journal of the Society for Army Historical Research?
- David Jackson's article about Isandlwana was first published there in 1965.

Sgt Hornbrook's extended work along with Penn Symons' and Col Macpherson's (extended to cover AZW) formed the basis of 'Historical Records of the 24th:

Hornibrook, M., Sgt.
Historical Records of the 2nd Battalion, 24th Regiment, for the Kaffir War of 1877-8. (Pietermaritzburg, privately printed in the offices of 2/24th 1878). 19 pages. (later 77 pages).
This history of the South African campaign was first printed in the 1st Battalion by 1-24/824 Sgt Michael Hornibrook using the Battalion�s own printing press. Michael Hornibrook was killed at Isandhlwana with the 1st Battalion on 22 January 1879. The booklet was later expanded to include the Zulu war 1878-1879 and republished by the 2nd Battalion Press in Secunderbad, Deccan in January 1882.

Macpherson, Alexander, J., Lt. Col.
Rambling Reminiscences of the Punjab Campaign 1848-1849. with a Brief History of the 24th Regiment from 1689-1889. (Chatham, Mackay & Co, 1889). viii, 104 pages
Alexander Macpherson joined the 24th Foot in 1846 and fought through the 2nd Sikh War. He was severely wounded at Chillianwallah. Chapters deal with a variety of aspects of soldiering in India, including life on the North West Frontier. There are also various nominal Rolls of the 24th Foot. Macpherson died in 1892.

There are only two known copies of the Hornibrook work. One in the museum and other in the MOD library. The MOD library, since it moved from Gt Scotland Yard a few years ago, to Main Building is impossible to get into. I failed twice in the last 2 years - despite having a MOD I'd card. So I do not have a list of their AZW goodies.

Then you have Frank Emery - who edited letters - I found originals in the Uppingham School Journal. There must been other letters home from Zululand in other UK school journals yet to be found.

I have also visited - too brief to really appreciate their goodies - the Castle Museum Cape Town, the National Library of South Africa and the PMB (or KZN) archives.

Last edited by Martin Everett on Sat Dec 13, 2008 6:09 pm; edited 1 time in total

Ron Sheeley

Hi Harold, My copy of Historical Records of the 2nd Battalion 24th Regiment for the Kaffir War of 1877-78. is 27 pages. It was "Printed at the Office of the 24th by Sergeant M. Hornibrook By Order of J.J. Harvey, Lieut. & Adjt. 2-24th Regt. at Pietermaritzburg, 30th September, 1878."
I hope this adds to the information on the little pamphlet that I sent privately to you a month or so back. I'll send you a scan of the cover via your private email. All the best, Ron Sheeley
Harold Raugh

Dear Martin and Ron,

Thank you very much indeed for your helpful and informative messages. I apologize for the delay in replying, but it was a very hectic week!

I have included a number of JSAHR AZW articles, including those by David Jackson, in this bibliography. I have also included a number of earlier JSAHR articles from the 1930s and 1940s, written by authors including Savage, Tucker, and Tylden. One related area in which I am not doing well is that of regimental journals. I am sure many regimental journals contain AZW-related articles, but there is no centralized location or indexing for these. I have sent e-mail messages or leters to various regimental secretaries/museums requesting assistance, and these have produced some worthwhile results.

Thank you both for the information on the Hornibrook history, which I did not have the details of before. I was aware of the Macpherson history.

I have found many Emery articles, and continue to try to find soldiers' letters published in newspapers and other periodicals. Do you have a reference for the Uppingham School Journal article? This is a bit of a hit-and-miss process, I will admit!

I am also scouring the depositories of libraries, archives, etc., in the UK, SA, and even in the U.S. (in a few cases). This is proving to be worthwhile, and I appreciate the suggestion.

I expect to continue working on this AZW bibliography for another 12-18 months, to make it as comprehensive as possible. I have made a decent dent in the project, having completed so far some 278 pages of listings of various AZW books, articles, documents, letters, etc., so far, and have annotated many of them.

Thank you for your continuing excellent assistance, and best wishes for a happy holiday season.

Cheers,
Harold
Martin Everett

Dear Harold,

I think you need to spend a few days with me - might double what you already have.................

Notes on Uppingham School Magazine:

*BRIEF_DESCRIPTION Three letters home from the Zulu War published
in the Uppingham School Magazine Vol XVII - February-December
1879 - written by Lt William Weallens 2/24th, an old boy of
the school. Edited extracts published in the 'Red Soldier'

*BRIEF_DESCRIPTION A letter home from the Zulu War published in
the Uppingham School Magazine Vol XVII - February-December 1879 -
written by Lt G D Hayward, Frontier Light Horse, an old boy of
the school

*BRIEF_DESCRIPTION Two letters home from the Zulu War published
in the Uppingham School Magazine Vol XVII - February-December
1879 - thought to have been written by Lt O A White, 90th Foot,
an old boy of the school, covers Hlobane and Ulundi.

You will see that from another posting about Old Etonians in AZW - the College archives may produce something. Haven't cracked that one yet.

There are some recent articles by Col Robert Wilsey (late RM) in one of the firearms magazines - I do not have references to hand at home

Harold Raugh

Dear Martin,

Thank you once again for your helpful message.

I also appreciate your kind invitation to visit you at Brecon. I am currently in the midst of assisting in in/deactivating (I am the corps command historian) the U.S. Army's only remaining active duty corps (three-star command) in Germany. This is quite a challenge in itself: collecting and organizing documents, conducting oral interviews, inventorying historical property and shipping it, writing ceremony scripts and speeches, writing monographs, etc. -- but I will certainly consider your kind invitation later in 2009.

Thanks again for your superb assistance.

Happy holidays,
Harold
Martin Everett

Harold,

There was a two volume set published in January 1880 (one of the joys of being close to Hay-on-Wye - a �40 investment)

Soldiers of the Victorian Age
by Charles Rathbone Low FRGS (late Indian Navy)
Published by Chapman and Hall, London

[Low also wrote 'Memoir of Sir Garnet Wolseley']

Volume One includes: Colonel Sir Charles K Pearson CB KCMG (pages 126-140); Major-General Hon Sir Hugh Clifford VC CB KCMG (pages 208-221); Brigadier-General Sir H Evelyn Wood VC KCB (page 260-283)

Volume Two includes: Major-General Lord Chelmsford GCB (pages 80-108)

The last entry is interesting as it gives a contemporary view of Chelmsford's handling of the AZW campaign.

Harold Raugh

Dear Martin,

Thank you very much for your message and AZW bibliography listings. I am pleased to note I already have listed the items you suggested, and greatly appreciate your assistance -- as usual.

There are also biographical sketches of Buller and Wood in another of Low's later books:

Low, Charles. �Buller.� Chap. in Our Greatest Living Soldiers, 24-27. London: Chatto, 1900.

Low, Charles. �Wood.� Chap. in Our Greatest Living Soldiers, 62-66. London: Chatto, 1900.

Thank you again for your excellent assistance. I continue to welcome all AZW bibliography suggestions!

Best wishes,
Harold
Martin Everett

Dear Harold,

Under the heading 'Detecting Fakes and Forgeries' - there is article by Chris Cawthorne of Texas, USA on The South Africa Medal 1877-79 in
the Journal of the Orders and Medals Research Society - March 2004, Volume 43, Number 1 (262), pages 5-11

'Assegai', Newsletter of the 1879 Group