rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Indexing
William Seymour

Harold said:

"I am continuing to diligently work on my Anglo-Zulu War bibliography".

I am amazed at the references that you have collated; but I would like to ask you, how you are organising them for your book? Are you organising them as primary sources, (the most important ...subject to challenge), and secondarysources e.t.c., or, an alphabetical search tool that will be a broad based stroke across the AZW?

Happy New Year

Regards

JK
Harold Raugh

Dear JK,

Thank you very much for your message pertaining to my Anglo-Zulu War bibliography-in-progress.

This is the table of contents I am currently working with. It may change slightly, but I do not anticipate any major changes. (A similar table of contents seems to have worked very well in my 2008 British Military Operations in Egypt and the Sudan: A Selected Bibliography.) Each major section and sub-section is further divided into three sections: Books, Articles, and Dissertations. In general terms, I am not including newspaper articles, unless they are significant in autobiographical or biographical terms, or are eyewitness accounts. I will be including government documents (TNA, etc.) and personal letters, manuscripts, journals, etc. (by individual and repository).

The Anglo-Zulu War: A Selected Bibliography

Contents

Acknowledgments

Preface

Introduction: Historical Background of the Zulu War, 1879

1. Overview

A. General Information

B. Political and International Background

C. British Parliamentary Papers

2. Rise of the Zulu Nation, 1819-1878

A. General Information

B. Shaka kaSenzangakhona

C. Cetshwayo kaMpande

D. Zulu Army

3. Zulu War, Phase I: 11 January-30 May 1879

A. General

B. Battle of Isandlwana, 22 January 1879

C. Battle of Nyezane, 22 January 1879

D. Defense of Rorke�s Drift, 22/23 January 1879

E. Siege of Eshowe, 24 January-3 April 1879

F. Battle of Ntombe River, 12 March 1879

G. Battle of Hlobane Mountain, 28 March 1879

H. Battle of Khambula Hill, 29 March 1879

I. Battle of Gingindlovu, 2 April 1879

J. London Gazette Despatches

4. Zulu War, Phase II: 31 May �26 August 1879

A. General

B. Death of the Prince Imperial, 1 June 1879

C. Battle of Ulundi, 4 July 1879

D. Capture of Cetshwayo kaMpande, 26 August 1879

E. Aftermath of the War

F. London Gazette Despatches

5. Colonial Troops

6. Miscellaneous Aspects

A. Naval Brigade

B. Cavalry

C. Artillery

D. Small Arms and Individual Weapons

E. Engineers

F. Logistics

G. Signal Support

H. Medical Support

I. Postal Operations

J. War Correspondents and Artists

K. Literature

L. Poetry

M. Films and Television

N. Music and Dances

O. Military Models and Wargames

P. Awards and Decorations

Q. Websites

R. Miscellaneous

7. Autobiographies, Biographies, Journals, and Letters

A. General Frederick A. Thesiger, Lord Chelmsford

B. Field Marshal Viscount Garnet J. Wolseley

C. Other Participants: Autobiographies

D. Other Participants: Biographies

E. Other Participants: Journals

F. Other Participants: Letters

G. Dissertations

8. Regimental and Unit Histories

9. Published Soldiers� Letters

10. Selected Notices and Illustrations from Contemporary Periodicals

11. Government and Official Documents

12. Personal and Unofficial Documents

Author/Editor Index

I've completed about 280 pages on this project to date. I continue to invite forum members to provide me with new sources or related information, which will be acknowledged in the published book. I expect to spend another 12-18 months working on this bibliography before I feel it is as realistically authoritative as possible and ready for the publisher (Scarecrow Press in the U.S.).

Thank you, and Happy New Year,
Harold
John Young

Harold,

Just to returned to the fold after a self-imposed sojourn.

7. A. Should read Frederic rather than 'Frederick'.

John Y.
Alan
Site Admin

John,

you know how I feel.

Welcome back.

Cheers Alan!

Happy New Year!

John Y.
Martin Everett

Dear Harold,

Some of these document have to come with a 'health warning':

For instance, WO3368 and WO3474 has errors - these have been replicated in the London Gazette - in some cases simple transcription errors from original returns from South Africa - again these have been published by researchers - Tavender.

Some authors have paid scant regard to source documents in compiling their own view of events - probably Saul David is a possible candidate in this regard.

There are pay and muster rolls - there is the widows and childrens benevolent fund started by the Lord Mayor of London. You need to pay a visit to the Library of the United Services Institute in Whitehall - and their journal has a number of articles

Poems - I can give you boxes full - everyone it seems is turned on by events in Zululand!

Why not publish on a website? - at least you can keep it live once it hits the streets!

Harold Raugh

Dear John and Martin,

Thank you both very much for your helpful messages.

John, I wish I could say I intentionally mispelled Chelmsford's first name in an attempt to lure you back to the forum! That's not the case, though. It was my mistake, as confirmed by looking at photographs of Chelmsford's grave! Thank you for pointing this out and returning to the forum to continue to share your vast AZW expertise and experience.

Martin, I again appreciate your detailed and thought-provoking suggestions, especially pertaining to errors in various documents. I also agree that the author you mentioned could have better used source material. At least this author uses Barbara Tuchman-like endnotes, whereas many other current AZW authors don't seem to bother with substantive documentation or source accreditation. David's bibliography in Zulu is also better than many of the incomplete and superficial bibliographies that appear in recent AZW history books, especially those aimed at the "popular audience." While books aimed at popularizing AZW history can be very good, I believe authors have a responsibility to acknowledge all sources of quotes, whether they come from individuals or primary or secondary source material, and the ideas of others. I would rather see too many endnotes than too few.

The pay and muster rolls sound worthwhile. I have conducted research at the RUSI Library in Whitehall in the past (although not on specific AZW projects), and continue to periodically receive through the mail photocopies from the helpful Librarian, John Montgomery. This library is on my list of research sites on my next trip to the UK.

Poems are always interesting, usually reflecting contemporary thoughts and perceptions of historically significant events. Please hang on to your box of AZW poems -- perhaps a good edited anthology could come out of it!

While publication of this AZW bibliography on a website is a possibility, I am contractually obligated to provide a manuscript to a publisher for hardcopy publication. I will, however, retain the copyright, as I did with my recent Egypt/Sudan bibliography. Website publication could then be a possibility. I am eager to make more substantive contributions to AZW studies, but right now I don't have any original, breath-taking conclusions, backed by real documentation, of any episodes of the AZW. I don't intend to rehash what we already know of Isandlwana and Rorke's Drift (and possibly muddle history further), and definitely won't "deduce" "plausible" actions, courses of events, or even other people's thoughts (as has recently been done) and try to label them as factual history. I am hoping during the preparation of this bibliography, perhaps against the odds, to stumble across some unpublished cache of AZW documents! We can all dream!

Thanks again, John and Martin, for your indispensable assistance.

Happy New Year!
Harold
Martin Everett

Harold,

Your response for some reason prompted me to reach up and take down from the bookself the Memoirs of Lord Grenfell (the only Welsh born Field Marshal) and noted that although the Field Marshal had collected his papers with a view to publication, the memoirs were actual edited and published in 1925 by Ronald Bertram Lane. (as you know R B Lane was ADC to Maj-Gen Newdigate during AZW-phase 2). He was the organiser of the Horse Race after Ulundi. So both the subject of the book and editor qualify for your list! PS - Lane was later Maj Gen Sir Ronald Lane KCB KCVO (1847-1937).

Harold Raugh

Dear Martin,

Thank you very much for your information. This one I have. I have had Grenfell's interesting Memoirs in my personal library since 1984.

Many thanks for your continued assistance. Whenever you think of something else, please let me know!

Best wishes,
Harold
'Assegai', Newsletter of the 1879 Group