rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Zulu Dawn - Film Location Photographs ?
Coll

Is there somewhere I can see photographs of locations used in scenes from Zulu Dawn, perhaps even in AZW books themselves ?

Places, such as the parade ground, the garden party, the Zulu bivouac where discovered, the battlefield itself, where some terrain is/was recognisable, such as a huge cube-shaped rock near the dongas, however, it may not be easy to identify where Burt fought his last stand, although with him looking back at the approaching Zulus on the shoulder at the back of the hill, gives an idea where he was standing. Also other images of the riverbeds he held at the start of the battle.

Thanks in advance.

Coll
Martin Everett

Dear Coll,

The parade ground is the cricket ground in PMB - I imagine they had to steer clear of 'the sacred square' with the horses (await Peter Ewart's comments on this!). The garden party was taken at a house in PMB belonging to a local merchant which was not built until 1881/2. I have actually been there and talked to the present owners - I have some images of the house somewhere. Of course of this creates a separate sub-culture - i.e. those who are more interested in the film and the locations of where it was shot as opposed to the real events. How many seek out Durnford's grave in Fort Napier?

Peter Ewart

Martin

Dead right! The damage to the outfield alone was sacrilegious enough! Sadly, I don't think the ground hosts any first-class matches today - only the odd KZN home one-dayer, I believe. I blame ZD for this demise, naturally. A couple of years ago I looked down on the sacred greensward from Google Earth, and could still discern the damage caused by Lancaster's and Ward's horses - or should I say bulls (as in "in a china shop."). Lancaster would have known no better but, as an Englishman, Ward's ignorance was reprehensible. How Jonty ever made his clean pickups there is miraculous. Didn't some silly women play French cricket there in the film, or am I thinking of somewhere else?

One can also still just pick out the tree which flourishes inside the boundary rope, now even outsurviving the (much older) famous Canterbury elm.

Coll - the pavilion was also built after 1879 (Edwardian I believe) and I think you can still find plenty of images on the web with a little google. A very impressive structure and one can see why they chose it for the film. Plus Google Earth, of course, although you have to be sure to get the correct venue.

Peter

P.S. Just checked, Coll - if you google (images) on Pietermaritzburg cricket pavilion (omitting inverted commas) or just on "Pietermaritzburg Oval" you'll find a few attractive pictures of the building which you'll recognise immediately. You'll even see the famous tree a few times (it can be glimpsed in ZD, too) and, surprise surprise, RSA's favourite Englishman also pops up smiling here and there!

P.
Coll

Martin

Thanks for your reply.

The house looks large and impressive, along with the garden.

I envy all who have managed to visit the AZW battlefields, but most of all, those who have managed to visit Durnford's last resting place at Fort Napier.

I've seen a couple of photographs of his grave, but not much of the surrounding area, to get an idea of it's location within the cemetery.

I'm sure Peter Q. mentioned that both he and Ron L. visit it every year, including a while back saying they restored it, by replacing the gravel and painting it. Good to know it is cared for, as, regretfully, for all I try (poorly) to defend him, as well as admire, I'll never get there to pay my respects.

Am I right in thinking Lt. Scott, N.C. is in the same cemetery ?

I don't recall seeing any photographs of his resting place in my books.

Peter E.

Thankyou.

Regarding the woman playing cricket, I think you mean Anna Calder Marshall as Frances Colenso, at the garden party.

Coll
Alan
Site Admin

Coll,
it was Peter, Ron and myself who did the restoration of Durnford's grave (at least financed it). Unfortunately I wasn't able to view the results when I visited Ron a couple of years ago. He tells me that it has again reached a state where further attention is needed. I hope that I may be able to view the grave in January and assess the situation.
I have asked Ron for photos of the resoration but I think he was unable to find them. I'll take pics if I go there.

Coll,
I don't know your situation financially or whatever (and it's frankly none of my business), but trying to convince others that you're never going to get there to pay your respects is mostly, I suspect, helping to convince yourself. Hey, would A. Durnford have expressed that sort of defeatism? Smile
Coll

Sawubona

Okay.

I'll get there someday ! Wink

Coll
Sawubona

'Twould be wonderous and certainly among the most memorable experiences of your lifetime. I'm no traveler of the world myself (barely my own State) and likewise somewhat leery of large flying objects that people ride in-- particularly when they announce that the temperature outside the window at 45,000 feet is presently around -60F. There also seems some element of voodoo mumbo-jumbo in explanations of the Bernoulli effect too! I got over my trepidation by insuring myself for a cool million (it's cheap insurance) and then admitting that I wasn't worth that kind of money dead to anyone, least of all the total strangers of the airline's insurance carrier. They were betting I would survive while I was betting I wouldn't, and I never win anything!

My biggest concern (and it was well founded) was not having a cigarette for twelve hours! I chewed about three packs of nicotine gum as well as the cushion of the seat in front of me and still asked the flight attendant if she could have the pilot stop the plane long enough for me to go out and suck down a choke! She wouldn't and he didn't. Sad
Zulu Dawn - Film Location Photographs ?