rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Zulu Identities. Being Zulu Past and Present
AMB

All,

I have just got a copy of Zulu Identities: Being Zulu Past and Present, published by the University of KwaZulu-Natal Press 2008. ISBN 978-1-86914-154-7. I�ve seen some people quoting as much as �75, but got my copy from SA for R400.

This is an interesting and large book (633pp) regarding what it was/is to be Zulu. There is some reference to the AZW (chapters by Laband, Knight & Guy) and much on the colonial period.

I have not read the book cover to cover, but have read those chapters sighted above, which are sound academic pieces regarding the Zulu�s involvement with the British Empire. There seem to be some very interesting chapters relating to Shaka and the early kings (again, not yet read these, but authored by Dan Wylie, Laband and Sifiso Ndlovu).

If your interest is solely the AZW, I would suggest that this book can be missed; if your interest in [colonial] Africa and the Zulu in particular, then this book looks to be a �must have� for one�s shelf.

AMB
Robin

I hope that included postage and packing as the shelf price at most bookstores is ZAR 290.
AMB

Robin,

Sadly not! Once again, we Europeans have to pay dearly for books so easily avail in SA. [It is not yet listed even on Amazon].

AMB
Books in SA
Chris

AMB wrote:

Robin,
Sadly not! Once again, we Europeans have to pay dearly for books so easily avail in SA. [It is not yet listed even on Amazon].
AMB

Sadly this type of book is no longer so easily available here. It also depends on what one thinks of as expensive Question

In my scratching around for these books ( perhaps limited ) it seems that a "normal" reference book has now become a collectible -- at least that is my experience when looking at all the local used book dealers.

Must be you guys overseas buying them all up Question Smile

Chris
AMB

Chris,

I tend to purchase most books I see on the AZW. I have found all too often that some of the less widely marketed books go for far higher prices once the print out is out. That said, not a cheap sport, but keeps me out of trouble! The only down side is that the numbers of books are ever growing and my library is moved about on a regular basis - as my work often moves me about Europe. Happily I have a wonderful wife who helps me to pack them up and then unpack the other end.

AMB
Zulu Identities. Being Zulu Past and Present