rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Simon Rosbottom

Hmmm... summed up by this rather brilliant advertising campaign for a well known brand of British beer. Worth flicking through the other pages too. Very amusing.

http://www.spitfireale.co.uk/advertising/press_ads/press2003.htm

Coll...

Do you have a ref for those books?....I'd like to check them out...I assume they break out the "innards?".....

Rich

Haynes

ISBN 978 1 84425 462 0
Supermarine Spitfire 1936 Onwards (all marks)
Owners' Workshop Manual.

It might not suit someone who is an avid aviation enthusiast, but I like it very much. The idea of collecting the series from its outset appeals to me, as I've always liked W.W.2. aircraft, more than the modern jets.

I don't have the Lancaster book yet.

Coll
Alan
Site Admin

Gripping as this is, it is wandering away from topic a little.

Thanks Coll..

Alan..all No 11 group fighters down...end of mission!..... Cool

Finally got blue ray - and of course Zulu was the first film to be viewed. Quite excellent. Aside from everything else, for the first time you can easily see the detail in the uniforms.

AMB
Alekudemus

I bought Blu Ray and of course Zulu was the first film purchased. Dread to think how many times I've bought the film now! The quality on Blu Ray was superb. The detail and the scenery! Knockout!
rich

Strange.....For the past few weeks I've been looking at the "Z"'s among the blu-ray discs here and there's no "Zulu" disc. I'm not sure why they can't have a disc for this region. And it is up there as a top film when it comes to war movies.

Apparently the Blu Ray disc will play (including all the special features)on a North American PS3 Rich. Don't know if that helps.

The Criterion Laserdisc release of 1989 had a four track stereo mix and is a stronger soundtrack than the BD release. DNR has been used on the new release (Digital Noise Reduction) and I've heard it claimed that this has the effect of sometimes making the soundtrack tinnier. Anyone have anything to add on this? I'd have liked 5.1 sound but you can't have everything!
Sawubona

Rich, I know just enough about this new-fangled technology to be dangerous , but I'll pass it on anyway. I think you'll find this helpful, but I'll deny under oath that I said anything. I live in New Hampshire and have a Samsung Blu-Ray player which I purchased at Wally World ("Wal-Mart" to the uninitiated). It will NOT play PAL discs- I have to use a German portable plugged into the AUX inputs for that. The memsahib ordered ZULU in Blu-Ray from England for a Christmas gift and it plays just fine on the Samsung (and I assume pretty much any other BD player available in the US). I conclude that the PAL and NTSC format designation does not apply to Blu=Ray discs and my version of ZULU (at least) is NOT region coded! Or, if it is region coded we live in one of the regions. I seem to recall having read that on the net as well.

FYI, my copy of ZULU on Blu-Ray is Paramount EU 112972 BLB and I believe she got it through Amazon, but I'm not entirely sure of that and she's at work right now. And I repeat, it plays just fine on Wal-Mart's least expensive BD player.
rich

Saw/Alek...

You guys are right. It can play in our region. It seems Paramount encodes their blu-ray discs "region-free" so it can play in our players and PS3 consoles. Thank you very much! The UK will now get my order and I will "stimulate" their economy!...Wink....