rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Norris-Newman In Zululand With The British Army
ciscokid

After reading a thread with accounts from Norris-Newman, I searched and found this book -

http://www.eruditor.com/books/item/9781846771217.html.en

Can anyone comment on the contents please?

thanks
Peter Ewart

Haven't seen it, but presumably a reprint of the 1880 publication with the word "Army" added to the title?

Peter
rich

I assume that there were other correspondents covering the AZW besides Newman but it appears his "report" seems to be the only one constantly noted in the literature. Since newpapers throughout their inception are usually conducive at forming opinion, I'd wonder how Newman's look at the war affected UK public opinion at the time to the war as well as to its participants especially after the Isandhlwana disaster. I'm not sure if there's been anything written on that aspect of the war.

rich wrote:
I assume that there were other correspondents covering the AZW besides Newman but it appears his "report" seems to be the only one constantly noted in the literature. Since newpapers throughout their inception are usually conducive at forming opinion, I'd wonder how Newman's look at the war affected UK public opinion at the time to the war as well as to its participants especially after the Isandhlwana disaster. I'm not sure if there's been anything written on that aspect of the war.

I read somewhere that as most papers thought that the war was going to be very short they didn't bother sending a reporter to Africa. I can't for the life of me find the source of this - so can't quote it.

Do you think this is a good read?
Sawubona

Very good read! Norris-Newman was the only professional journalist there at the war's beginning as suggested and his style of writing is a refreshing holiday from the often stilted prose of the military accounts. I was a bit surprised at his ingratiating attitude towards the British high command, particularly Chelmsford, but the reader gets from his book a good sense of the day to day existence of the "common" soldier as well. Humility however, isn't always his strong suit. I'd place it in the top three of "must have" primary source books along with Harford's journal and Mitfords "Through the Zulu Country". As my "top three' only includes book-length primary sources and not shorter, individual accounts, the list to chose from isn't all that long anyway.

I just checked your link , Cisco, and that's a good price! My copy was a used hardbound, but was still way more expensive and my glowing recommendation was based on you're getting it for no less than $50 or so dollars. Crying or Very sad It's a definite winner at less than $20.
Coll

I don't think I've ever seen a photograph of Norris Newman, but does one actually exist ?

Thanks

Coll
Norris-Newman In Zululand With The British Army