rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
2nd Cpl. N. Mansfield, 7th Coy. R.E. ?
Coll

This name was mentioned recently on another topic.

Is there any more information about him ?

Also, it would be great to see a portrait photograph, if the source of one is known.

Many thanks.

Coll
John Young

Coll,

As to photographs the only possible place it might be is with any family descendants.

It was common for officers to be photographed, that's why we have their images to this day. But the rank & file would normally be photographed for family or friends.

As to more information try the R.E. Museum at Chatham.

John Y.
Long Time
Sapper Mason

Smile , Chatham will get back to you but it takes a lot of patience & time for a response but they do answer , " Sapper " Wink
Coll

John

Thanks.

As just an enthusiast, I don't think I'd be able to contact his descendants with a request for a portrait photograph.

With luck, perhaps, someone might view this site and see my enquiry.

Sapper

I did write to the RE museum a couple of years ago, not with an enquiry, but with a suggestion regarding a Col. Durnford memorial statue.

I've never had a reply, but I did have a reply from FoREM.

It's really mainly a portrait photograph I seek of him, as it has been mentioned he stood beside Col. D. in his last stand.

For some unknown reason, I had been unaware a fellow RE was with him at this stage, and it would have been great to identify him with having a face to go with the name.

Thanks to you both.

Coll
Julian whybra

I doubt Chatham will get back to you - they were unaware of Mansfield's existence until I informed them. This was because he was not present as part of Chard's men and had been 'lost' in acknowledgement terms. Follow him up yourself via the National Archives. I have never come across a photo at all.
Julian whybra

I must also ask where you came across a mention that he stood by Durnford in his last stand. I have never come across such a reference and am intrigued.
Galloglas

There is one 'probable', where by implication Durnford is described as meeting his end with "his military orderly with drawn sword standing over him", or similar words.

From failing memory, I think it's tucked away in the Quantrill and Lock Red Book somewhere, quoting an unnamed colonial source.
This would, of itself, prove nothing, since no name is mentioned, but the attribution to 2nd Cpl Mansfield would be based upon two assumptions, both fairly reasonable:

- Firstly, that he, and only he, would be referred to as Durnford's military orderly. AW Durnford in his letters to his mother refers to Mansfield as his wagon driver, or similar. There is also collateral in 7th Company pay and muster rolls and medal rolls.

- Secondly, that Mansfield would still be wearing the proper uniform of a RE Mounted NCO detached from the 7th Company, armed with a sword and possibly also a revolver.

Cpl Mansfield's wife is referred to at the bottom of Page 165 and the top of Page 166 in Edward Durnford's "A Soldier's Work and Life in South Africa" (DP&G Facsimile Edition) Again, impied detail rather than corroborating proof, I agree.

G
2nd Cpl. N. Mansfield, 7th Coy. R.E. ?