rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Isandlwana 130th Anniversary
Dawn

Being in the first country in the world to hit the dateline, I have the honour of being the first (I hope) to commemorate the 130th anniversary of the battle of Isandlwana.

I salute all those who lost their lives on that infamous day.

To all those that are attending events at the site, be assured we are all with you in spirit.

Dawn
PS. It's actually 9.30 in the morning of the 22nd here in spite of what the time says above
mike snook 2

Dear All

And....following on from my friend Dawn in NZ, it is 12.05 here in Khartoum. May I take the opportunity to send all best wishes to friends and fellow AZW buffs at rdvc. I hope wherever you are in the world that you have a pleasant day and that you will be able to find a private moment or two to remember the valour and sacrifice of all who fell on that most remarakbale day in history 130 years ago today.

To those who have made the pilgrimage to KZN, have a great day and raise a glass for me too - sharia law makes it a tadge difficult to do so here!!

Tomorrow I hope to be at Metemmeh and Abu Kru - all being well. Same idea - different theatre and 5 years difference!!

Regards and best wishes to all

Mike
peterw

Last evening my thoughts were with Major Dartnell and his men in the hills and the trepidation they would have experienced.

This morning I think of the men of both sides who would not see another sunrise, and the enduring courage of those at Rorke's Drift who did.

Peter
hodekin

As I have already said on another forum, I'll drink a toast tonight to all the brave soldiers and warriors who played out their parts in this timeless drama.

Ken.

Surely a historical day to ponder where men fought on a battlefield far from their home....

And I too wish I could be in SA for the commemoration...

And Mike..good to hear from you from sunny? Khartoum. Make sure you dip your feet into the sacred waters of the Nile, eh? And when are you going to Omdurman?? Best to you in your new posting. I know it's a "little" different than Disneyland.... Cool .

A tad late, but I, too, raise a glass to those (on both sides) who lost their lives in Zululand so many years ago. Best of luck and safe travel to all those who are there, now.

Mike S....Khartoum! Wow! It sounds exciting, but of course I've never been there and have no idea what the hardships may be like. In any case, I hope you get a lot of good research material during your stay.

Best to all,

Barbara
Isandlwana 130th Anniversary