rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Sutlers Stores Collectors Edition Catalogue ?
Coll

Has anyone obtained the new catalogue from Sutlers Stores ?

The items this company has, look great, covering several eras.

If I'm correct, they also will make other items to order.

I've seen this company before, a few years back, but they have added a good deal more items.

Personally, I like the Map/Document holder, Doc Holiday's shoulder holster and a back-draw holster, amongst others.

Coll
smithart101

Coll,
I live about 5 minutes away from this company's office, so if you need any help with them, do let me know.
I know there is a long waiting time for some hand made items. I waited over 6 months for a tunic once.
regards
Simon

Simon

Thankyou very much for your kind offer.

Quite a while back, I was so impressed with the Zulu War re-enactors, with their uniforms and equipment, that I wrote Sutlers Stores, out of curiosity, with details of Col. Durnford's full uniform, asking for an estimate on the total cost, hoping they could supply everything, although then, as now, I wouldn't be able to afford it.

The details I sent, I think I mentioned every item, including shirt, mess waistcoat, wide leather shoulder strap with holster, waistbelt with hunting knife scabbard. Even the Adams revolver and knife itself. Although I don't remember if I also added Hitch's leather armsling, with the idea of Col. D.'s use of it for his left arm , but as I didn't really have more information on its construction I doubt it was listed.

They did write back, not with an estimate, but saying they were snowed under with work.

I've heard nothing since, but as it was only an enquiry, rather than an order, I didn't pursue it any further.

I'll have to wait for a lottery win. Smile

Thanks again.

Coll

PS. Regarding the 'Durnford Rides Out' painting, my order will have to wait until much later in the year. I'm looking forward to it.
Sutlers Stores. Quality, service and value for money?
Kiwi Sapper

Location: Middle Earth & Home of Narnia; (Auckland, New Zealand)
As a recent attendee here, I seek opinions from others who may have made purchases from Sutlers Stores . Have you been satisfied with the " experience"? Further, are there alternative suppliers of Zulu War period costuming? I explain that I have placed an order with Sutlers and am not trying to advertise either for nor detract against them as I have yet to receive the goodies but to date, contact has been good.

It was a confusion of ideas between him and one of the lions he was hunting in Kenya that had caused A. B. Spottsworth to make the obituary column. He thought the lion was dead, and the lion thought it wasn't.
Kiwi Sapper

CALLING SMITHART101.....................HELP!

Greetings to SImon.

Earlier in this thread you said;".......I live about 5 minutes away from this company's office, so if you need any help with them, do let me know...."

I would appreciate some assistance as I have a dispute with Sutlers concerning tunic and trouser sizes, Basically the garments are too small (excessively) and they, Pete, says the garments were made to the measurements I supplied. As I hold the original measurement chart and now have the garments this is not so but "Pete does not want to know."
The asssistance required; can you provide a name and possibly an email address of a manager to whom I can escalate this?
Thanks in anticipation.........

It was a confusion of ideas between him and one of the lions he was hunting in Kenya that had caused A. B. Spottsworth to make the obituary column. He thought the lion was dead, and the lion thought it wasn't.
smithart101

kiwi,
I'll drop by and see if I can get the info you want.
Simon

Greetings to Simon,

Many thanks for that. I am aware that Nancy Beardall is the Director but the only email addres I have is [email protected] which is the address used by Pete. I suspect that I may have to telephone, but I want to keeep it low and civil .

So damn hard when one lives in "the colonies"

Thanks in anticipation.

smithart101

Kiwi,
sent you a private message...
Simon

Kiwi Sapper

I too had a similar experience with the Sutlers Stores a few years ago. What they produced was a million miles away from the pattern I sent them, and yet they continued to insist that they had made the items to the measurements given. At the end of the day they point blank refused to correct what was clearly their error. With the sort of attitude they had, I am amazed to see that they are still in business !

So, my advice is to seek an alternative source of supply and to only use Sutlers Stores as a very last resort.

Bill

What about the equipment, such as the map case, holsters, etc.?

Are they of good quality ?

It's more likely I'd be getting things like that, than clothing.

Coll
Kiwi Sapper

Greetings to Bill,

Thank you for your experiences. I beleieve that they have changed their attitude as in my case, they have admitted the error was on their part and have offered to remake and cover all extra postage costs involved in returning the old and sending the replacement garments.

In all fairness, I cannot expect more than that.

So here's hoping it will turn out well in the end, From the tone of their communications, I believe that it will. Very Happy

oldcontemtible

My ONLY good experience wih sutlers, was thankfully my Zulu war period uniform that I bought 8 years ago.
since then nothing good heard about them from many re-enactors.

Guy
Kiwi Sapper

What Ho Guy,
Well, I can only say that I have in the last 10 minutes received an email from the Director saying the cutting is underway now and "....will then get fed into the production system as quickly as possible. ..."

Looks good Smile

I will continue to report progress through to the time the garments, (same as yours) arrive here in New Zealand.

Be seeing you,
Vern

Coll

I was going to purchase their �10 catalogue, methinks I'll not.

Coll
Final Outcome with my purchase.
Kiwi Sapper

Well, it has been a long and interesting road, during which I encountered "customer service skills" which are quite unacceptable. I can go on at length, but to paraphrase it all, I sent measurements. money and requests to Sutlers and they provided a jacket and trousers which did not fit. My initial enquiry as to how this happened was met with a standard fob off. Fortunately, I received support from Simon who was able to call at the offices.(Again, many thanks Simon for your intervention and support) Apologies finally arrived admitting it was their fault , ( TOP MARKS for admitting the error) and a new uniform was supplied ( At a great speed, again TOP MARKS) after I returned the old. However, it took many emails to recover the cost of returning the goods from Down Under which had been agreed to before hand.
CONCLUSIONS:::::
Product. Very good. Not quite excellent 'cos of finishing detail on the first set but very good, probably very good +
Communication . Appalling..... Absolutley bloody appalling! Numerous emails unanswered. Computer crashes blamed.Fob off's by Pete who made the original mistake which started the whole sorrowful affair. Repeated requests for emails to be sent when the products were dispatched to me, agreed to but never honoured. Questions as to whether I should have to pay VAT as I was in New Zealand and paid duties here when the garments arrived here, ignored.
Would I buy again? Yes, but only if I lived nearby and could pop in to sort out any problems that may arise.

I am saddened to have to make this report, as I thought that once they had accepted that the fault was theirs, they were going to perform well. A good sign, but sadly, it never happened.

Sutlers Stores Collectors Edition Catalogue ?