rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Sawubona

A small voice cying out in a seeming wasteland-- IMHO "Zulu" is "Historical Fiction" as I understand the phrase. Which part of the word "fiction" is confusing us? Am I the only one here who accepts the idiom of poetic license? I'm watching Empire right now (the mini-series about the genesis of Imperial Rome) and I've also (too many times) read Shakespear's Julius Caeser, yet in spite of the glaring historical errors in both, they're darn good entertainment. My advice: if you're interested in unblemished history, then you shouldn't watch ANY movie or read a fiction novel! If you're like me however. watch a movie like the remake of The Four Feathers and say to yourself or your significant other, "Hey, that was a pretty good movie in spite of the fact that some of the camels looked stuffed and some of the Martini-Henry .450/.577 MKIII Boxer short chambered infantry rifles (firing a 480 grain lead slug incidently) appeared to have rubber barrels.
But I digress a bit. C. Heston said that a movie like Ben Hur couldn't be be remade because of the cost of "extras", but he never heard of CGI! How 'bout "Zulu" with 3000 computer generated Zulu? Or Zulu Dawn with 30,000 CGI warriors and 10,000 more CGI wives and children cheerleading from Ionyi? Or Omdurman with 70,000 CGI Answar? I think that last movie would even stir Winnie's heart! Just my thoughts... Oh, what about the music? Could the new Zulu ever be improved by different music? Smash Mouth or Green Day perhaps?
Eduardo

Indeed, one of the first "casulaties" in most war films is historical accuracy. Perhaps, one of the most accurate Victorian war films I can recall is, "The Charge of the Light Brigade, the 1968 version. While they added many fictitious scenes, even Lord Cardingan's "Here goes the last of the Brudenells" mumbling at the begining of the charge is there.

Talking about remakes, I was not only disppointed but outraged, when I saw the remake of The four Feathers", with its historiacal inaccuracies, but most af all, considering what an incredible opportunity was lost! Instead of an excellent remake, using all the special effects available nowadays, the end result was a silly movie. Perhaps, the fact that the director was an Indoostani gentleman had something to do with it.
Cheers!
Re-make Of Zulu (Again!)