rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
HCMDB, LWOTF, ZV1, AOTZA In Paperback ?
Coll

How Can Man Die Better. (due April 2009)

Like Wolves On The Fold. (unknown)

Zulu Victory. (already released?)

Anatomy Of The Zulu Army. (already released?)

I've got the hardback versions of these books, but wish to ask if paperback versions retain all the illustrations and information supplied in the former ?

The reason I ask, is that I seem to recall another Ian Knight book, which I have the hardback version of, was published in paperback, but minus some/all of the illustrations.

Thanks.

Coll
Coll

How Can Man Die Better in paperback, released tomorrow 1st May ?

Coll
mike snook 2

Hello Coll

I think June - they did push stuff out about May but according to my latest contact with them I expect June. As far as I am aware all the illustrations and maps remain. The publisher is Casemate.

We have taken in a few text changes as well.

Yours as ever

Mike
Coll

Mike

Thanks for the update.

Am I right in assuming LWOTF will also be released in paperback, maybe some time later this year, or early 2010 ?

Coll
mike snook 2

Yes Coll that's right. I'm glad because some people are asking silly prices for the few remaining hardbacks that are still on the loose. The paperback editions always make the stuff more accessible for kids and such like - and I'm always very conscious that I first got into this subject at a young age.

As ever

Mike
Coll

Mike

Thanks for the additional information.

Yes. I wish I'd started pursuing the Zulu War 25 years ago, as I think of how many books I would have acquired and the knowledge I'd have gained by now.

Coll
AMB

Coll,

I started collecting books on the Zulu War some 20-odd years ago. What started out as a few volumes now runs to several thousand books pertaining to the Zulu War, the history of the Zulu nation and Natal and the history of colonial southern Africa. I still find the subject fascinating; although the pleasure of just sitting down with a book in my library is sadly all too infrequent. Frequent postings about Europe cause me to pack up my library every few years, which can be a bore, but I am thankful I started early � not least as some of the rarer books are now so expensive.

That said, I am sure that there are many on this forum that have been collecting books on the subject for far longer than me: their libraries must be huge!

AMB
Coll

AMB

Thousands ! Shocked

I'm extremely envious.

Coll
rich

AMB...

You know if the state of AZW scholarship changes in the next few years I'd think you'd be considered being the reference librarian to AZW aficionados with those numbers of books. I'm a collector and reader myself but not at that range!

If and when I retire... Cool ..I have alot of catching up to do myself in reading up more on those days of derring-do down in Natal. Like Chief Justice Souter here who will be leaving the Supreme Court, I go through a
historical lobotomy when I'm at work and long for some peace and quiet when away where I can sit down and just immerse myself in lore of the AZW..... Cool

Rich, Coll et al,

I started collecting books with the aim of writing when I finally hang up my body armour & helmet [although, I suspect Col Mike beat me to it!]. As in retire in twenty years or so, I think they'll still be plenty to add to my library before I get to put pen to paper in earnest. I always thought that much time and effort could be saved by having as many reference sources close to hand as possible!

I spent this afternoon putting my library out on shelves (having recently moved from overseas). Still a little way to go [13 boxes]. A large library is great, but the moving bit does become tiresome.... It would be quicker putting books on shelves, but one does tend to stop and read!

AMB
Coll

AMB

Interesting.

When you say 'with the aim of writing', may I ask what sort of subjects you'd be considering 20+ years from now ?

Coll
AMB

Coll,

Southern African colonial history. Zulu, Boer, Matabele wars & Rhodesia.

AMB
Coll

AMB

I used to have a book ages ago called 'The Zulus And Matabele: Warrior Nations.' by Glen Lyndon Dodds.

Do you also have this in your library ?

Coll
AMB

Coll,

Yes. An interesting read, although my copy is still currently in a box! I also rate Bullock's The Mashona and the Matabele and Summers and Pagden's The Warriors [Matabele only].

AMB
Coll

Is there any news of other Zulu War books being published soon or in the future, as paperbacks ?

I'm hugely interested in knowing if R.W.F. Droogleever's may be considered - hopefully with Simon Smith's 'Durnford Rides Out' painting as a front cover ! Wink

Anyone know of this author's/publisher's plans for such ?

Thankyou

Coll
HCMDB, LWOTF, ZV1, AOTZA In Paperback ?