rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Isandlwana: Durnford's Last Stand ! (Graphic History Series)
Coll

I've been considering entering this book suggestion and title, under the section 'Books I'd Like To Read' on the Osprey Publishing site, which allows people to vote on a choice of five books listed every month.

I'd rather ask here what the opinions are first ?

The suggested title is my own choice, which, although might not appeal to many, I like it, especially for this series which appears to be directed towards a younger readership.

Would you vote for such a book ?

Thankyou

Coll
Coll

Further to the above.

I've submitted the book series, subject suggestion and title into the section on Osprey Publishing.

If interested in voting, we'll have to wait and see if it is selected as one of the five titles chosen.

Fingers crossed.

Coll
Coll

Further to the above. (again Rolling Eyes )

I've also submitted a suggestion for a book in the same series about Rorke's Drift, so if one isn't chosen, the other might.

I call it my Plan B.

Coll
Coll

I don't wish to be a bore (too late! Rolling Eyes ), but has there ever been a book or magazine about Isandlwana (or the Zulu War) which has featured either a photograph or illustration of Col. Durnford on the front cover, or dust jacket ?

I ask out of curiosity.

Thanks in advance.

Coll
Coll

Apparently, the 5 titles to choose from, are selected at the beginning of every month, so it'll probably be next Sunday onwards, if anyone is willing to vote, should the Isandlwana and/or Rorke's Drift titles appear.

Further to my previous posting before this.

May I suggest that any future title on Isandlwana has an image of Col. D. on the front, for when you see LBH books, you're almost guaranteed to see a photograph or illustration of Gen. Custer.

Considering there is a division amongst many, as in, if these men were the Hero or Villian of the battles they were involved in.

Coll
Coll

Looks like March 2009, isn't going to be the month any of my suggestions were selected to be voted on. Sad

Maybe next month.

Coll
Coll

Looks like one of the Osprey staff has not long arrived back from visiting Isandlwana, as he has written a new blog on their site about it.

BTW, I punched in my book suggestions again, perhaps second time lucky.

Coll
Coll

No luck again this month. Sad

However, a new blog is on the Osprey site about Rorke's Drift.

Coll
Coll

Is there a chance please, that anyone, who is already registered on the Osprey Publishing site, could possibly enter a posting in the 19th Century forum section, with the ideas for their Graphic History Series covering Isandlwana and Rorke's Drift ?

Namely these suggested titles -

'Durnford's Last Stand ! : Battle At Isandlwana 1879'

and

'Fix Bayonets ! : Defence Of Rorke's Drift 1879'

This would allow us to read what the editor, etc., have to say.

Such titles may draw a younger readership to the AZW Campaign.

I will totally understand if no-one wishes to.

Thankyou

Coll
Coll

On the subject of another series of illustrated publications, aimed at a younger readership, I've recently sent for a volume containing 10 stories from 'The War Picture Library', which is similar to the 'Commando' comics of old.

I do believe, well-illustrated publications, such as these, covering one or all of the AZW battles, might appeal to the younger readership of today.

It'll do me as a reference book, covering these types.

Coll
Mark Hobson

The "Commando" comic books seem to have had a resurgence in interest lately, with reprints etc.

There was a 3 part comic a few years back called ZULUNATION, covering the Invasion, Isandlwana and Rorke's Drift, which I'm sure appealed to young kids (and big kids like me). It was published in America and is quite hard to get hold of.

Mark
Coll

Mark

Yes. An identical series based on the real participants and battles in the AZW campaign, would be a treat.

Coll
Coll

Well, obtained the 10-story volume today.

Paperback, with 600+ well-illustrated pages, drawings 25% larger than the originals, to allow readers to appreciate them better.

Would such a book work for the (whole) AZW campaign ?

Yes. Aimed at the younger, or older readership, it would work, with details of the whole campaign - participants and battles - in the one book, which is straightforward, with no difficult-to-understand technical details, but produced in such a way, as for anyone to be able to familiarise themselves with the names of men/battles/places, without being overwhelmed by too much written data.

An eye-catching front cover, suited to this type of book, showing an exciting battle-scene in full colour, with the addition of an equally appealing title, and there you have it.

A quality, no-nonsense, illustrated book, which may have the ability to hook a few more AZW enthusiasts.

Coll
Isandlwana: Durnford's Last Stand ! (Graphic History Series)