rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Zulu: The making of the Epic Movie
ANDY LEE

Hi Folks

Does anyone have a release date for the eagily awaited book Zulu: The Making of the Epic Movie by Sheldon Hall.

If Sheldon is out there can we arrange for signed copies.

Thanks

Andy
Sheldon Hall

Hi Andy,

ZULU: WITH SOME GUTS BEHIND IT will be available from the publisher's website www.tomahawkmedia.co.uk from 22 September or thereabouts (i.e. as soon as stock is received). Copies ordered from the website will be sold at a special discount price TBC and will be signed by me upon request (there is a form to fill in on the website). Official publication date is 10 October, when it will be available from bookshops and other online sites. A formal announcement will be forwarded to Alan and Peter very soon.

Sheldon
Film Music
Rich

Sheldon:
Just a followup to your suggestion in listening:
As one listens to Cry the Beloved Country, one can't get away from hearing some of the themes that went on in "Zulu". Mr. Barry certainly had Zulu in the back of his mind as he did the music for CTBC. I guess he knew a good theme and liked it. On the other hand, taking Peter D's note that Mr. Barry didn't want to "repeat" himself with "Dawn", it looks to me that he probably wanted to do something completely unique for the following picture and not even incorporate variations from the previous soundtrack into the new film. Looking back, I wish he could have had a burst of creativity and pluck a new original theme out of the air for "Dawn" so that it too could be remembered in such a way as the initial film. For me, I don't think the music in "Dawn" has the top of mind as it does in the first film. Cool
Sheldon Hall

Richus,

Yes, it is the incorporation of the re-orchestrated theme from ZULU in the CRY... score that I had in mind when recommending it. I agree that the ZULU DAWN score is disappointing, especially coming from the great Elmer Bernstein, though a friend of mine and regular visitor to this site insists it is a masterpiece!

John Barry may also simply have been fed up with African scores, though he also did OUT OF AFRICA in 1985 (which won him another Oscar). He scored several other films on African themes in the 60s, inc. BORN FREE and MISTER MOSES. Mr Barry, incidentally, has written the foreword to my book.

Sheldon
Rich

Very good Sheldon. What I'm going to do over the weekend is give "Dawn"
a good listen! Perhaps I'm just a guy who loves to hear those "hooks" that sort of give a song or soundtrack an "identity" so so speak! I'm very happy that you got Mr. Barry to write the foreword. What a composer and what a "sound" and I know he respected Mr. Bernstein's work in film. Ready to order Sheldon! Wink
Mel

Received Sheldon's book yesterday from Tomahawk. It is a very detailed, well researched book with many fascinating behind the scenes photos.
The only problem is, I also received Mike Snook's book yesterday.
I can feel a couple of sickies coming on.
(days off work, to those outside the UK) Laughing