rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
rich

And oh saw when I saw..... 'the battle's heat...and passion" I couldn't help but remember back when in newspaper advertisements for films the word
in great capitals with exclamation points.....

SEE!!!!............whatever bizarre scenes were concocted by the copywriters for film advertisements like:

SEE!!!!..........the GIGANTIC gorillas from the deepest darkest jungles of Africa that can eat 5 men at once!!! ....SEE!!!! ...... secrets never before told of cults hidden and never seen by man until now!!!!!!!!!!!!.....

Well I guess they had to get everybody in the movie house, right??

"DWARFING THE MIGHTIEST! TOWERING OVER THE GREATEST! The supreme spectacle that had to come thundering out of the most thrilling continent!" : ZULU one sheet for USA
Alan
Site Admin

Was there really any prospect of a fuss about the wedding dance? After all, travel books and missionary works had shown Zulu (and other African females) in the same customary (un)dress since Victorian times without, so far as I'm aware, the slightest suggestion of impropriety, simply because this was "the natural state of things" in Africa. On the other hand, I suppose a film of a dance was a bit different!

Paul: If memory serves, I think you're right - but I'm afraid I don't remember your explanation so I'm none the wiser again! So does this mean a sheltered adulthood as well, perhaps, as a sheltered upbringing? Oh dear. I do vaguely recall mention of "celebrity" mags or tabloid papers, or both, but surely you wouldn't suggest the ignorance on my part of such tripe might constitute evidence of a gap in my education? Or perhaps you would! Had I not overlooked this vital material, I might have got to Aber myself!!!
Laughing Laughing Laughing

Peter
Sexual reference in ZULU