rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
double bill
flawedhero

Two points for this thread
apologies if that was sarcasm alan but didn't think any scenes for zulu were shot in Wales

best double bill i ever came across was as a teenager so( circa 1979 or so)
blazing saddles and monty python and the holy grail
Alan
Site Admin

I think you'll find that some scenes were filmed in Wales. James Booth never went to South Africa. The hospital scene was done in Wales. The role call? Someone will no doubt correct me if I'm wrong.

And you know speaking of double bills I know that you guys sure couldn't go without food or drink while watching your serials and acton-packed films of yesteryear at the "pictures". So what was it? In NY, we had soda, popcorn (with oozing butter all over it), chocolates, and assorted candies to name a few. One popular item we had was a confectionary called "bonbons" which was sort of a not-exactly round piece of dark chocolate with a very creamy inside. It was just about frozen and melted in your mouth. I can note now that when I saw my first Zulu I had a "bonbon" in my mouth.....ah the culinary delights when watching 'Zulu'... Cool... I'm sure you guys stuffed your mouths with Cadburys, eh???

Location: Middle Earth & Home of Narnia; (Auckland, New Zealand)
rich wrote:
.....I know that you guys sure couldn't go without food or drink while watching your serials and acton-packed films of yesteryear at the "pictures". So what was it?

Well, here in New Zealand, we had Jaffas, sherbert dabs, chocolate fish and an assortment of small sweets. The Jaffas are a solid ball of chocolate about 1/2 inch in diameter coated with an orange coloured hard candy coating. Most useful for dropping on the uncarpeted floor of the theatre during boring moments, when they would all rattle and bounce down the sloping floor to the front of the auditorium. Nowadays "Jafa" is used derogatively by New Zealanders outside of Auckland to refer to Aucklanders. ....i.e. "Just Another F++++++ Aucklander".

Sherbert dabs were a small triangular shaped paper bag containing some powder and a hollow tube of licorice protruding to the outside. One sucked the powder up through the licorice tube and it fizzed in the mouth. Remember Eccles of the Goon Show saying ".........licorice gives you a good run for your money".The rest are self explanatory.

It was a confusion of ideas between him and one of the lions he was hunting in Kenya that had caused A. B. Spottsworth to make the obituary column. He thought the lion was dead, and the lion thought it wasn't.
rich

Kiwi ..

Sherbet dabs.....licorice and powder but no "sherbet" really, right? I like that name.
We also had a licorice candy called Nibs, about half inch in diameter. Good to eat and really good to throw. You didn't want to be in the lower children's section because you'd probably get bombarded with a few nibs richocheting off your head. The kids loved to throw them around. Those poor cleaning people after the shows.....

Leigh

Sounds like you've thought quite a bit about such a double-bill event, regarding 'Zulu Dawn' and 'Zulu'.

There is another film I liked, 'March Or Die', with Gene Hackman.

Haven't checked to see if it has been updated in any way.

Coll
Sheldon Hall

Sorry, Alan, your drinking companion must have been pulling your leg. No scenes for "Zulu" were filmed in Wales; the (interior) hospital scenes and others involving James Booth were shotr in Twickenham Studios. The vocal track for "Men of Harlech" was recorded on a hillside in Wales, so perhaps your man was part of the chorus (the Imperial Glee Singers, Ferndale); but no motion-picture camera was present.
leightarrant

Sheldon - Sorry I didn't get to make the Bradford week end...wanted to touch base....I was working. How was the great 'Where Eagles Dare ' showing? looking forward to seeing Cinema Retro magazine special on it.
Its a similar magazine to MOVIE COLLECTOR a few years back. (Somewhere I have the ZULU edition.)
leightarrant

Common also on the double bill circuit of the seventies and early eighties where films such as: GOLD/SHOUT AT THE DEVIL, PLANET OF THE APES double bills, CARRY ON UP THE KHYBER/KING LONG ESCAPES, CONFESSIONS OF A WINDOW CLEANER movies, MAGINIFICENT SEVEN/THOMAS CROWN AFFAIR, DIRTY HARRY/MAGNUM FORCE
DR NO/ THUNDERBALL LIVE AND LET DIE/MAN WITH THE GOLDEN GUN, DIAMONDS ARE FOREVER on with FROM RUSSIA WITH LOVE, and the best of the lot still has to be SOUTHERN COMFORT on with DELIVERANCE.
Sheldon Hall

WHERE EAGLES went down a storm in 70mm at Bradford, as did KHARTOUM (which I introduced - the intro will shortly be posted on www.in70mm.com) and many others. The whole weekend was a real treat. Shame you couldn't make it! There's a report on it on the Cinema Retro website: http://www.cinemaretro.com/index.php
rich

Sheldon..

Thanks for that site....really good...And I'll be getting out my copy shortly and give WED another spin on the dvd player...haven't seen that one in a while

You may know this. I was happy to see Warner Bros note that they will be going into their archives and producing dvd's on request for the films that have yet to see the light of day. I'm sure there are some gems in there that they never got around to releasing!

Leigh

I'd go so far as to say the recently released version of 'Zulu Dawn', is now of a quality deserving to be shown alongside 'Zulu' in a double-bill.

Coll
ZULU and ZULU DAWN double bill