rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Zulu Pressbook
ayr41

I noticed this on ebay if anyone is interested, I have never seen these before but it is a shame one part of a page is missing.
ayr41

Sawubona

Not super rare, but uncommon enough so that they command a pretty good price. 20 pounds seems a reasonable start to me, even missing a page or two. For those who aren't aware, pressbooks are/were supplied to the movie theaters as a source of advertising copy for a particular film-- the intention being to cut out the supplied advertisements and give them to news media and such to paste up in newpapers. It's therefore pretty unusual to find one without missing pages.

Do they even still use pressbooks, Sheldon? I'm guess that what with everything gone digital, there are probably graphic files circulating around with the movies for the same purpose.
Sheldon Hall

I rather doubt that pressbooks are still produced, digital or otherwise. In these days of multiplexes, most press advertising (when used at all) consists of a timetable of show times for the dozen or more films showing at the cinema in question. I would imagine that the layout of such ads is handled centrally by the circuit publicity office rather than by local managers, as used to be the case. But it's been a while since I reviewed new movies and spoke to cinema managers on a regular basis, so some form of pressbook may still be provided somehow, perhaps for the benefit of older and independent cinemas.
Zulu Pressbook