rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
rich

Leigh...

Just an fyi....

I picked up a dvd on "Operation Daybreak" a few months ago on Amazon.
It was an "import".

Leigh

I'll give a review here on 'Zulu Dawn' a.s.a.p.

Coll
Coll

Anyone else buying a copy ?

I'll not be able to get one until Tuesday or Wednesday, so if someone gets it sooner, will you please give a review ?

Thankyou

Coll
Coll

Out today - � 12.99 from HMV.

I'll not get my copies till tomorrow. (hopefully)

Anyone purchase one today ?

Coll
KEITH

I have received this DVD today, and it seems very similar to the French issue, except for the French dubbing and subtitles of course, and letterboxed 2.35:1 not anamorphic. So the French edition is better on this point. The box states the sound is stereo, but I could not confirm this, it also seems rather hissy and noisy. There is NO documentary, however, so where PLAY.com got this information from I do not know. The only extra is the theatrical trailer. So to sum up, an improvement from the previous cropped versions available from Mosaic etc. but not as good as the French edition as inferior picture and sound. Another very slight criticism, who is the person in the thumbnail photo on the back, top left corner holding a cigar, doesn't look like Sir John Mills to me! Could be wrong.

Last edited by KEITH on Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:37 pm; edited 2 times in total
Coll

KEITH

Thanks for the info.

I've just obtained a copy today.

It is John Mills on the top left and I'm pleased to see a small action shot of ol' Burt firing his revolver in the other corner.

If the film is similar to the French version, I'll not concern myself with getting a copy of 'L'Ultime Attaque'. Not at the moment anyway.

No documentary ? I wasn't sure about that initially, as nothing I seen seemed to confirm its inclusion. Too good to be true sort of thing.

I'll not be watching the film until tonight, with a few drams.

Looking forward to it.

Will give a small review tomorrow.

Thanks again.

Coll
Coll

Wish for something long enough and it will happen ! Very Happy

A definite improvement from all the other versions I've seen over the years. Clean, defined, with the haziness removed, allowing you to see more details in the background. Wider screen, meaning people are not cut in half, or totally missing from some of the scenes. Flaws, which I noticed in my previous dvd, are sorted.

Sound quality does appear to be better, not by much though, but I'm a tad deaf anyway.

If you haven't liked the film at all, any improvements in its quality, will probably not make you buy it.

However, if you like it well enough, I recommend this version.

Sheldon/Leigh

If you buy a copy, I'd very much like to hear your opinions, as I'm not so sure my recommendation will make people's minds up.

I'm getting another copy next week though, but if my lotto numbers come up, I'll be buying the whole stock !

Coll
Steve Moore

Hi Coll, thanks for the review, sounds good. Off to Amazon it is then. Roll on the Blu Ray version!
Cheers

Steve
Coll

Steve

Hope you enjoy it as much as I.

Judging by this version, Blu Ray would be excellent.

Here's hoping !

As it is, it would be great to see this recent release in a theatre, on a huge cinema screen.

All I can say is 'Well done Arrow Films !'

Will you let us know your opinion of this version ?

Coll
Steve Moore

Hi Coll, watched it over Bank Holiday, visible improvement over previous issues & on a par with "Frog" version. except you can understand it.
Little things like the grain in the wooden wagon wheels become really clear, no chop & colours are much richer.
Sound seems clearer (stereo not surround), althrough my ears are age advantaged now so.....
I am playing it through a Blu- ray player which up scales the picture quality - apparantly - and HD TV, so might not be quite as good on standard DVD?
Worth it? Yes, makes for a much better all round viewing experence, even if Burt still comes unstuck.
Cheers

Steve
Coll

Steve

I'm glad you liked it.

As I always try to have a Plan B, I obtained another copy today !

I'd be interested to hear Sheldon's opinion of this version.

Coll
leightarrant

Coll - Thanks for your review of 'Dawn' It makes a worthwhile buy. I shall have to make the plunge and purchase it really soon. There's a few new blu ray releases that look spicy at the moment also. 'Battle of Britain' for one....
rich

....tally ho leigh..get it!.....happy flying... Cool .

I saw "Zulu Dawn" on Saturday evening on BBC2 and must say that the quality of the broadcast was poor.

I started to watch it on Saturday, but having seen how it should be shown, I switched it off about 10 mins later.

I'll never watch it again on a tv channel, nor 'Zulu'.

Coll
Zulu Dawn special edition DVD