rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Isandlwana
Robert John

David,

I think you can also add to the list anything by Professor John Laband, Ian Knight, Ron Lock and Peter Quantrill.

Robert

Listed in "Roll of Honour, Isandhlwana 22nd January 1879" by D.R. Forsyth bound private publication dated 10-8-1976 under 1st Battalion 24th Regiment

Pte 710 Lisbeck G

His name also appears on page 259 of the Records of the 24th.

I am not sure where Mr Forsyth accessed his info from as he gives several sources of reference.

Last edited by Robin on Wed May 06, 2009 9:29 am; edited 1 time in total
Peter Ewart

Robin

Wasn't Forsyth's primary source the medal roll itself? If not, I'll stand corrected. Did a roll of losses (24th or otherwise) appear in the Mercury in 1879? I haven't seen one in my copy of L&Q's The Red Book, but perhaps it appeared during the last quarter of the year, which is not covered. If it was earlier, then I've missed it!

David - If you've already acquired Julian Whybra's England's Sons, you'll have seen Geo Lisbeck's inclusion. JW's compilation brings together data from diverse sources - the usual rolls and lists plus his analysis of many sundry/alternative accounts.

Peter

P.S. Incidentally, although you didn't originally begin this post with genealogy in mind (perhaps you've got him all wrapped up before 1879), am I right in thinking this chap was the owner of a pretty rare surname? Was he an "old sweat" in his late 30s by the time of the AZW? A George Lisbeck was stationed at Chatham barracks here in Kent in 1861, aged 20.
mons14

----