rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Correct Title ? - Into The Mouth Of Hell. by Mike Snook
Coll

Am I right in thinking Mike is working on another book called 'Into The Mouth Of Hell' ?

If so, I can't seem to recall what events it will cover, unless of course, they haven't been listed or confirmed by Mike yet.

Does anyone have any updates ?

Thanks in advance.

Coll
Peter Ewart

Coll

Yes, that's the title he mentioned that had been agreed with his publisher. No idea of content or progress. I believe he's in 21st Lancer country these days, perhaps some distance from his sources, let alone from the "valley of death."

Peter
Coll

Peter

Thanks. I knew I read it somewhere.

Perhaps Mike will enter a post later with further details.

Coll
Martin Everett

Coll,

I will give you a clue.................

After the AZW, he commanded the cavalry in South Africa (1881-82) and then went on to command the cavalry division during the Egyptian campaign where he led the spectacular �moonlight� charge at Kassasin (28 August 1882).

mike snook 2

Hello Coll,

Hope things are good with you. Passing through rdvc in a quiet half hour (after a burning day in the desert yesterday!) and saw your query. Next up is not going to be Into the Mouth of Hell, (which may follow in due course) but instead a book on the Gordon Relief Expedition.

Why was I burning in the desert yesterday? Because after much obstructionism in certain quarters (long story, sensitive, not for here), I finally made it through to Abu Klea. Yipee. Dream come true stuff. It is completely unspoiled and it was like Sir Herbert Stewart and his men moved off towards Metemmeh about two days ago. I was able to identify Col Fred Burnaby's grave amongst the 60-70 which are still clearly identifable. It was a great experience and fascinating to see. It was made all the more special by the huge amount of effort I had to make to get there. Three earlier expeditions were turned back.

So the next book will be called.....(drum-roll)...

'Beyond the Reach of Empire: The Gordon Relief Expedition.' The publisher will be Frontline and it will come out in the autumn next year.

Regards as ever

Mike
Coll

Mike

I didn't expect details from you so quickly !

I know you are always busy, but hope you are well.

Thanks for the details of the new book, as it will be watched for 2010.

Coll

Myself ? I'm glad to be out of 2008 ! Hated it.
mike snook 2

Dear Coll

Really glad things are looking up. Forgot to say that out mutual friend AMB of this site was with me at A.K. He comes back to Blighty today.

Take care of yourself. Talk soon.

As ever

Mike
AMB

[Sorry, Alan, we�re heading slightly off topic]

Colonel Mike's new book will be well worth the wait. Yet another for the library � might have to have a Snook-exclusive shelf shortly��

The desert trip was absolutely fascinating � once the locals were content with our paperwork! Colonel Mike, as ever, was excellent company and the 1885 era mapping that he brought along really did allow us to pin point keys locations of the battle. Unlike some sites, the ground has not been touched over the past 120+ years, albeit that could be due to the place being 60+kms into the desert!

Now back in sunny Hampshire, sadly without the heat of the desert.

AMB
Peter Ewart

Andrew

There are very few (if any) battlefields in the world I'd rather have the opportunity of visiting, especially if - as you both mention - it appears to have altered so little. A sobering thought, perhaps, that it would almost have made the defence of Rorke's Drift seem like a tea party - but only almost.

Did you listen in the wind for "the voice of a schoolboy" rallying those ranks as you stood in the desert?

Peter

P.S. I wonder if it was hotter or cooler when you were there, compared with the battle itself in January?
AMB

Peter,

Whilst it was windy at Abu Klea, sadly no voices. I must admit that Sir Henry's poem was discussed in the veh as we drove along the Nile on the way down to the battlefield!

For those for whom the poem isn't quite so familar - I hope that I'm not teaching some to suck eggs [if I am, forgive me!], I've taken this from Wikipedia:

Probably the best known of all Sir Henry Newbolt's poems is Vita� Lampada. It refers to how a future soldier learns stoicism in cricket matches in the famous Close at Clifton College:

Vita� Lampada

There's a breathless hush in the Close to-night
Ten to make and the match to win
A bumping pitch and a blinding light,
An hour to play, and the last man in.
And it's not for the sake of a ribboned coat.
Or the selfish hope of a season's fame,
But his captain's hand on his shoulder smote
"Play up! Play up! And play the game!"

The sand of the desert is sodden red -
Red with the wreck of a square that broke
The gatling's jammed and the colonel dead,
And the regiment blind with dust and smoke.
The river of death has brimmed its banks,
And England's far, and Honour a name,
But the voice of a schoolboy rallies the ranks -

This is the word that year by year,
While in her place the school is set,
Every one of her sons must hear,
And none that hears it dare forget.
This they all with a joyful mind
Bear through life like a torch in flame,
And falling fling to the host behind -

AMB
mike snook 2

Hello Peter

Much hotter - by about 15-18 degrees C - now than in January. Daily temperatures of 50C are an everyday occurrence at this time of year - and they tell me we can expect another 10 degrees on top of that over the next couple of months. That's why Wolsleley ruled out campaigning at all in this season of the year. When Andrew talks about wind - they were gusts of stifling hot air rather than 'wind' as we might traditionally think of it at home. It doesn't so much cut through the body as leap out from nowhere and smother you in a bank of hot, heavy, dense atmosphere. Couldn't keep m' hat on all the same!! You should see what colour my travelling companion went!! Something like this.... Embarassed

Regards

Mike
peterw

Mike

Now you WILL have to get an Abu Klea medal! Just remember though, not everyone who received the clasp fought in the battle..........

I can only hazard a guess how difficult this trip was to arrange and the "difficulties" one might face. I'm still seriously jealous though. Sad

Peter
mike snook 2

Hi Peter

Have no fear - you will be the first person I ring before I buy any medals from any campaign!!

Yep - it wasn't quite like the 'first glimpse of Isandlwana experience', because there is no such obvious landmark to draw you in, but it was a close second. All the difficulty made it doubly special. Just got to get back there now to do a bit more fieldwork.

As ever

Mike
PRS

Greetings Mike

I share the jealosy of Peter W :twisted:

From the tone of your posts I gather it was a rather special experience.
definitely envy you.

If U had such trouble in getting official permission to make the trip I assume this means we cant expect a company to set up Sudan Battlefield Tours anytime soon. I am sure if some enterprising group could do this it would not be short of customers.

Stay well
Best regards
Peter S