rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Bones at Isandlwana
Robin

Extract from The Natal Witness April 30th 2009 Page 3
Picture (hands holding mouth and jaw)
""The construction of an Ezemvelo KZN Wildlife (EKZNW) staff accomodation building at Isandlwana recently unearthed what is believed to be the remains of a British soldier.
Construction of the foundations began and a few days later, bones where found together with a button from a British uniform and a horse stirrup. "AMAFA, the KZN heritage body, was notified and an archaeologist will check the construction area for further remains," said Lynn Ruddle an EKZNW officer in the area.""

I think the article can be accessed in a few days time www.witness.co.za
and use their search engine.It was never published on the net (27 July)

I would like to know where the construction area is?

Last edited by Robin on Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:16 am; edited 1 time in total
Mel

It'll open up the conversation a little if it's on the Tahelane Ridge! Wink

A horse stirrup was also found with the remains ?

I'm assuming they were found outside of the protected area of the Isandlwana battlefield, especially if constructing something.

I'd like to think, if it was somewhere near the notch, they had found Maj. Russell R.A., or perhaps further down Fugitives' Trail locating Maj. Smith R.A.

Highly unlikely it might be either, but if the remains were from the actual battle, it could even be an Imperial Mounted Infantryman.

I'd be very interested in the identification of the buttons and where the location of the discovery was on the battlefield.

Coll
Haydn Jones

I don't know where the bones were found but I seem to remember there is staff accommodation for game guards on the top of Mpethe hill on the fugitives' trail.

H
Robin

I have received the following reply from Amafa in response to a request for more info;

"The accomodation facility is being built on the south western side of iSanndlwana mountain and battlefield. Archaeologists from Aamafa did attend to this finding and rescue archaeo-work was undertaken. The bones and other findings are kept at Amafa offices while looking at the possibility of re-burial
Sello Mokhanya
Amafa/Heritage KZN
Archaeology Department
[email protected]""

Hope this is of use
Robin
Jamie

Robin wrote:
I have received the following reply from Amafa in response to a request for more info;

"The accomodation facility is being built on the south western side of iSanndlwana mountain and battlefield. Archaeologists from Aamafa did attend to this finding and rescue archaeo-work was undertaken. The bones and other findings are kept at Amafa offices while looking at the possibility of re-burial
Sello Mokhanya
Amafa/Heritage KZN
Archaeology Department
[email protected]""

Hope this is of use
Robin

Interesting. I wonder if the building is near Shepstones grave then? It could also be down the start of the Fugitives Trail a little bit.

Jamie

Yes, although i have not seen it personally.

I am advised by KG,who has seen the findings, that the remains indicate that he was a colonial officer in the Natal Native Horse
Coll

That's interesting !

One of Col. D.'s N.N.H. officers.

Coll
diagralex

If he was a European officer of the Natal Native Horse, then there is only one candidate. It would have to be Lieutenant Joseph Roberts, commanding officer of Number 2 troop, who was killed by artillery fire from the Royal artillery gun of N/5 troop.

Graham
Coll

Yes.

Makes one wonder, if it is an N.N.H. officer, as in, Roberts, would it not then disprove the theory he was killed by the artillery, but had indeed, entered the camp, though was prevented from escaping ?

An interesting scenario.

Coll
Peter Ewart

No Coll, nothing at all yet would be proven or disproven along those lines, as all the discovery has established at the moment is the final burial place of the remains - and that's assuming it is proven that the button belongs to the bone(s) - which I wouldn't think would be at all easy to establish.

By "final burial place" I refer to the fact that a very large proportion of the remains were buried several times and at least one of the reburial operations involved transferring remains some distance before re-interment. One cannot, therefore, know how many times - nor how far - this particular bone has been moved and reburied, possibly some distance from where the casualty fell. The same goes for buttons and badges, of course, but even more so.

In Robin's post, does "indicate" mean only "indicate" or "has been established."?

Peter
Coll

Peter

Fair point.

However, could it not also be argued that these remains are of one person, not buried by man, but concealed over time, having not previously been discovered on the battlefield ?

I do recall Lonsdale of the N.N.C. apparently dismounted to join the 24th men as they fell back - Could it be him ?

Or Vereker, after he gave up his horse ?

Or one of the camp casuals, wagon drivers, etc. ?

As readers of this forum, we can only comment on the information supplied, giving our own opinions until more is known.

In that, any of us could be right, as it is just guesswork on a topic for discussion.

Coll
diagralex

Coll

I think that the most important point is to firstly try and obtain exactly where the remains were discovered. Once that is known, some individuals can be eliminated and other's claims examined more closely. It is very tantalizing that we just do not know where on the battlefield the excavation took place

Graham
rich

And if they're good archaeologists they'll have documented the site where the find was recovered and provide accurate information on the find. Would be nice to see actual photographs.

Graham

I understand, as curiosity is killing me too.

What I am meaning is, a topic shouldn't necessarily have to become static or end up stale, due to lack of confirmation on specific details, as to talk over the possibilities is what we should be discussing.

Many readers of the forum, might not yet be aware of who some of the participants were in the battle, so to give any ideas who it could be, will shorten the list for them.

Coll
Bones at Isandlwana