rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Peter Ewart

Paul

Cricketing all w/end - one match over, three to go. In touch again after stumps drawn and "last orders" tomorrow night.

P.
Paul Bryant-Quinn

In your debt, John.

Peter - enjoy; and don't do anything I wouldn't do ...

Wink

Paul

Midweek, and still recovering. (And girding my loins for this w/end, of course!)

Not sure if my reply will be very helpful, though, and it will certainly fall short of enabling any axiomatic conclusions from being drawn.

I have come across many examples of soldiers transferring (or being transferred) from one regiment to another. But - did they all volunteer for change in circumstances such as Dan Hayward's? No. Were any of these moves the result of an emergency, such as that of the post-Isandlwana AZW? Yes - some in much more serious cases. Some, of course, involved the 2nd ABW of 1899-1902, and the same occurrences during 1914-18 were very common indeed, where many men ended up in completely different regiments. Did some of these cases involve an "attachment" to another regiment or unit, rather than a full transfer? Yes, especially from the 2nd ABW onwards. As far as I know, these cases often ended up with a return to the original unit. Even more common, of course - almost routinely so - were transfers from one battalion to another within the same regiment, especially when drafted for India within a year or so of enlistment.

As well as the 2nd/4th and 99th in Dec 1878, I believe some of the reinforcements of Feb/Mar 1879 may have involved a hurried "making up to strength." (Can someone confirm this?)

So I can't give a definitive answer, as I see no pattern, but someone else here with a good knowledge of army service conditions of the period might be able to - if, indeed, there is a standard answer. However, I'm pretty sure that it is perfectly possible (with what is known at present) that Dan Hayward may well have continued his career in a different regiment to that in which he originally attested, and therefore became time-expired while still in the 2nd/4th. His papers, which should survive at Kew (WO97) will provide a clear answer in his case.

Peter
Graves1879

The Story of Dan Hayward