rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Simon Smith - An Enquiry About A Waxwork Display Sketches ?
Coll

Simon

This is just an enquiry, out of curiosity, to ask if you can suggest how someone could obtain a detailed drawing of an idea for an Isandlwana life-size waxwork display, based on Durnford's wagon stand, as shown in 'Zulu Dawn', with him standing, full uniform, atop a wagon firing his revolver, surrounded by figures representing other units in a 360 degree 'action' image, amounting to perhaps 10 figures including a 24th soldier, Natal Carbineer, Natal Mounted Policeman, etc.

The display would need to be drawn in 3-4 sketches, showing each of its sides, to give an overall view of its scale and contents.

Each drawing would need to be on an A3 sheet, in order to grasp the full concept of its structure and details.

As I say, this is just an enquiry, of personal interest to myself, but I would appreciate any information on how I could obtain such, as I know no other military artists who might be able assist, or possibly be able to supply an idea of the cost for a commission as this.

I know you are busy and understand if you aren't able to reply.

Thankyou

Coll
John Young

Coll,

Have you seen the 24th & Zulu figure at the National Army Museum?

I think they were created by a Swiss company about seven or eight years ago.

John Y.
Coll

John

No, I haven't.

Do you know if it was the museum itself commissioned them ?

A Swiss company you say ?

Any idea of the possible name of it ?

Thanks in advance.

Coll
Coll

Question -

Has anyone seen a rotating platform, used to display a largish waxwork set-piece, which turns slowly a full 360 degrees, allowing the display to be seen from all sides, without having to walk around it in a central floor position ?

Thankyou.

Coll
smithart101

Hi Coll,
apologies for the late reply.
The leaders in this field are a company called Time Machine, They did the National Army displays which are very impressive. No stiff mannequins!

here is the web site http://www.time-machine.ch/sites/news_01.html

I believe the company was started by the military artist GerryEmbleton. There are contact details on their web site
regards
Simon
Coll

Simon

Many thanks for the excellent information !

Coll
Coll

As an aside -

Has anyone seen a life-size waxwork of Gen. Custer and/or Jim Bowie on display anywhere ?

Thanks.

Coll
Simon Rosbottom

Coll, not sure if you're aware but the lone survivor of the Little bighorn has been preserved (stuffed) for public display at the University of Kansas. No, not some poor trooper but Captain Keogh's horse Commanche.

http://www.newwest.net/index.php/topic/article/comanche_the_horse_that_survived_the_battle_of_the_little_bighorn_part_1/C39/L39

Probably not the only surviving horse but a great story and he "survives" to this day.

Apparently, there is a waxwork of Gen. Custer, which happens to 'come alive' in the film 'Night At The Museum 2' ! Wink

Perhaps, the film prop waxwork will find a way into a museum somewhere, although I doubt it looks anything like the 'real deal'.

Coll
mike snook 2

Coll

I thought you mike like to know that Empress Miniatures are bringing out a miniature Col D, in mounted and dismounted versions this year. 28mm scale - not quite what you 've been discussing here but I dare say a tadge cheaper and nice to have all the same. Their stuff is very good in my opinion. Out of interest They are also going to do a Pulleine, a Smith-Dorrien in an ammunition vignette and a whole raft of RD personality figures.

As ever

Mike
Coll

Mike

Thanks for the info.

It appears that the AZW is really popular thesedays in military figure circles, for modelling dioramas or wargaming.

Which can only be a good thing methinks.

Coll
Simon Smith - An Enquiry About A Waxwork Display Sketches ?