rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Extracts from a Diary in Zululand
Harold Raugh

Fellow Forum Readers -

Thanks to all who provided interesting information on the Dan Hayward book.

Here's another obscure title:

Malet, T. St. Lo. Extracts from a Diary in Zululand. Upper Norwood: Platt and Burdett, 1880.

I have not seen a copy of this book and I do not know of any copies publicly held. Does anyone know who T. St. Lo Malet was, and what his book is about?

Thanks again, in advance, for your superb assistance.

Cheers,
Harold
Sawubona

Perhaps nothing you don't already know, but: Thomas St. Lo Malet, son of Lt.Col. Charles St. Lo Malet, born April 22, 1855 in (Bath I believe), Captain of the Dorset Militia, volunteered for service in SA with the 24th and died in Cape Town on Feb. 6 1887. This info came from the register of Cheltenham College. It seems his father, Charles, was officer commanding the 8th King's Regiment and Thomas was survived by a brother, Major C. W. Malet (without the "St Lo").

There is a reference to a "Lt. St. Le (sic) Malet" of the Dorset Militia in the book "Historical Records of the 24th Regiment". Possibly a typo?
Martin Everett

This is the handwritten 'Record of Services of 1/24th'.....

11th May 1879
Major Dunbar assumed command of 1/24th. While at Dundee, the 1/24th was reformed. Of the original companies, B (at St. John�s River under Captain Harrisson) became H Company; D Company (Brevet Major R Upcher) was re-designated A Company; G Company (Captain T Rainforth) remained unchanged. New companies were formed from the draft as follows: B (Captain AA Morshead), C (Lieutenant CRW Colville, Grenadier Guards), D (Captain LH Bennett), E (Captain The Hon GAV Bertie, Coldstream Guards) and F (Captain Wilfred Heaton).

Other officers in 1/24th included: Major JMG Tounge and Captain WM Brander (Majors), Lieutenant RAP Clements (acting QM), Lieutenants W Weallens, WW Lloyd and AB Phipps, Second Lieutenants AW Birch, JDM Williams, WC Godfrey, ME Cathew-Yorstoun, R Scott-Kerr and R Campbell, Lieutenant The Honourable RCG Carington, Grenadier Guards (acting Adjutant), Captain EPH Tynte, Glamorgan Militia, Lieutenant TStL Malet, Dorset Militia, Lieutenant GR Rushbrooke, Royal Engineers Middlesex Militia and Second Lieutenant JWM Lumsden, 2nd Royal Lanark Militia.

We do not hold a copy of the diary - I assume it only covers the 2nd invasion and 1/24th was not involved in the battle of Ulundi.

Harold Raugh

Dear Sawubona and Martin,
Thank you very much for your prompt and authoritative message that has provided me a better understanding of Malet and the context for his AZW service and diary.
I have been informed there is a copy of this book in the State Library, Pretoria.
Thanks again for your excellent sustained support.
All the best,
Harold
Extracts from a Diary in Zululand