rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Warriors: The History Channel
Neil Aspinshaw

The disc finally plopped through the door this weekend with the CD of the up-coming History Channel Warriors programme, not bad, for mainstream TV. It has shown in the States now, and is due in the UK in the next few months.

The filming the Diehards, the Dundee DH & The 1879's did is OK, the odd Lee Enfield is a trifle too easy to pick out, but ho hum. The filming at Isandlwana effective, but then it is trashed by a crass re-encactment of redcoats in Wolsey Helmets, and Pirates of the Carribean uniforms, why oh why did they not decide to use the UK contingent?, it lets the whole thing down for the sake of a hour extra filming.

Yours truly with the Live firing Martini is worth the wait, the scene opens up with four rounds fired in ten seconds (yes...live one's ), then we proceed to destroy 30lb concrete blocks at 100 yards from kneeling position. The whole three minutes took three hours!.

Keep them peeled for the TV schedule

Neil

I'll be watching for it.

I'd also be keen to see other AZW weapons in action, if the possibility existed, namely the Adams revolver and Gatling gun, although I doubt very much there is a working model of the latter.

Coll
Coll

Would I be correct in that it is this 'Warriors' series which starts next week, the first programme dealing with the Vikings ?

Coll
I doubt very much there is a working model of the latter
Kiwi Sapper

Location: Middle Earth & Home of Narnia; (Auckland, New Zealand)
[quote]

Gatlings are still around and a working example was used in the Russel Crowe film "3:10 to Yuma". In the extra "bits" bundled with the DVD, it was qoted as being worth $80,000 which is why when it is "destroyed", a replica rubber model was used. I also know that Bydand Forever have one and blank fire it at their displays.

It was a confusion of ideas between him and one of the lions he was hunting in Kenya that had caused A. B. Spottsworth to make the obituary column. He thought the lion was dead, and the lion thought it wasn't.
Coll

I did see a gatling in use during a documentary about the ACW, although it was a working modern replica, loaded with a straight magazine that fitted into the top of the gun.

They used it in a demonstration, showing its firing capacity, against about 10 men using Springfield rifles.

Impressive !

Coll
Neil Aspinshaw

Coll
Thats the one!, its about fifth in the series.

I had the great good fortune to attend an auction in which an original model 1875 .45 caliber Gatling on a tripod mount was sold. It was without question the one used in the movie "The Outlaw Josie Wales" and probably the same as was in both "The War Wagon" and "Rooster Cogburn". Pretty heady stuff, that auction, although somewhat humbling! At these auctions, a tyro collector like myself quickly realizes that he's a very tiny fish in a very big ocean.

The pre-auction estimate was $60,000-80,000 but when the smoke had cleared and the gavel had fallen, the hammer price was $207,000 PLUS an additional 15% buyers premium (close to $240,000 total). From that experience I'd have to say that a nice example at $80,000 would be thought a steal -- matter of fact, it's possibly the same gun! This was about a year ago (I think), but it can still be checked out at: http://www.amoskeag-auction.com/press/59PR.pdf. FYI, you'll notice that there was one of the infamous La Mat revolvers sold as well (for a mere pittence-- $20,000 and some change, again plus the 15%)
AMB

Gatling Guns. Very interesting reading. I wonder if those in various museums across the UK are insured for such sums? I would think not!

AMB
Coll

Neil

Great. I'll watch for it.

Coll
Mark Hobson

Finally, The Zulu episode.
Tuesday, 8th September THE HISTORY CHANNEL - 8PM repeated on THE HISTORY CHANNEL +1 - 9PM

Strangely called ZULU SIEGE, covering Isandlwana - not really my idea of a siege.

Set your recorders Very Happy
Neil Aspinshaw

Mark
thanks, I have been looking for the dates to tell my folks.

Just for the record as I have been asked what I was shooting it was my Enfield Mk2 (upgraded Mk1) dated 1873. The load was 5.6cc by volume of SANADEX, a sucrose based South African black powder substitute, achieving about the same velocity as black powder, the smoke was minimal and dissipated quickly. Bullet was a .464 lead/tin alloy. It genuinely did smash clean through 2 x 30lb structural concrete blocks.

Range was 100 yards approx, fired from the kneel to replicate stance when volleying.

Neil

Good quality programme, which was well-made, with the presenter's enthusiasm making it all the more interesting and enjoyable to watch.

Coll
ciscokid

I've a soft copy if anyone wants one.
Re: Warriors: The History Channel
ciscokid

Neil Aspinshaw wrote:
The disc finally plopped through the door this weekend with the CD of the up-coming History Channel Warriors programme, not bad, for mainstream TV. It has shown in the States now, and is due in the UK in the next few months.

The filming the Diehards, the Dundee DH & The 1879's did is OK, the odd Lee Enfield is a trifle too easy to pick out, but ho hum. The filming at Isandlwana effective, but then it is trashed by a crass re-encactment of redcoats in Wolsey Helmets, and Pirates of the Carribean uniforms, why oh why did they not decide to use the UK contingent?, it lets the whole thing down for the sake of a hour extra filming.

Yours truly with the Live firing Martini is worth the wait, the scene opens up with four rounds fired in ten seconds (yes...live one's ), then we proceed to destroy 30lb concrete blocks at 100 yards from kneeling position. The whole three minutes took three hours!.

Keep them peeled for the TV schedule

Neil

I've read that the MH could fire upto 900 yards. How accurately could you shoot a human shaped object from? If there were a group of people I'm guessing you could hit one of them, but if hey were spread out.

What I'm trying to gather is how far away were the Zulus safe from the firing line?

Thanks
AMB

Ciscokid,

Firing any wpn is all about the ability of the firer. Yes, the MH had a range out to [maybe] 900yds, but the firers ability to hit targets at that range is limited. Firing in to a mass of on-coming enemy, you may hit something; firing at well spaced infantry, I'd suggest you'd have to be very good and have superb eye sight (if no sort of scope were fitted) to hit anyone, let alone kill them.

The old saying about not firing until you see the whites of their eyes was simply to allow a greater effect, albeit you'll have to be in control of your nerves to maintain a good firing postn, not rushing the shot and still bring down the target.

'Closing with and killing the enemy' is always easier said than done.

AMB
Warriors: The History Channel