rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Michael Boyle

Oops, sorry Harold, I should really learn to refresh the page before actually submitting!
Harold Raugh

Glad to help, gentlemen.

The two AZW-related books by Sonia Clarke are:

Clarke, Sonia. Invasion of Zululand, 1879: Anglo-Zulu War Experiences of Arthur Harness; John Jervis, 4th Viscount St. Vincent; and Sir Henry Bulwer. Foreword by H.F. Oppemheimer. Johannesburg: Brenthurst Press, 1979. 292 pp., frontispiece, plates, maps. Limited edition of 1,000 copies. This volume contains the unpublished letters of Harness and Bulwer, and diary of Jervis, from the Anglo-Zulu War period, 1879.

Clarke, Sonia. Zululand at War, 1879: The Conduct of the Anglo-Zulu War. Johannesburg: Brenthurst Press, 1984. 300 pp., portrait frontispiece, 70 plates, 4 maps. Limited edition of 1,000 copies. This is a collection of previously unpublished and generally candid letters written mainly by officers who served in Zululand. The majority of the letters were written by British Army officers serving in Zululand to Major General Sir Archibald Alison, Deputy Quartermaster-General for intelligence at the War Office, 1878-1882. The second section of this book consists of letters written by Queen Victoria and others to Sir Bartle Frere (and his wife), High Commissioner for Southern Africa.

Good reading!

Cheers,
Harold
Coll

Michael

I'm of the thinking, that books, priced as they are, should be able to be gotten, using a payment facility, which allows you to pay in instalments over weeks/months.

That way, you can obtain the books earlier, without having to wait months, hopefully not years, to amass the necessary full cost, before being able to buy.

I was recently tempted to use such a facility, to purchase a set of 3 volumes, not connected to the AZW, which I could not afford at present, obtaining them now, and pay them up, but decided against it at the moment.

It is only this way I could get such a 6-volume set as the 'Archives Of Zululand'.

Coll

PS. Good to see you back !
Keith Smith

Michael

I looked at your 'broken links' before your post. I believe that they may be 'missing links' because I suspect that the works have not yet been published. Look at the Shaka entry - nothing!

In the meantime, my own modest single-volume work remains on sale for just �35! (Sorry Alan - couldn't resist.)

KIS
rich

Hello Keith...

Hope your publisher is on the ball making sure your work is out there.... Wink ..I wanted to get a book of yours from the museum a while back..unfortunately they were unstocked!..guess that's the way it goes...I'll try again later...