rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Cross belt pouch identification sought
Sawubona

I recently acquired the pouch component of a pouch-belt rig which I'm trying to research further. "WD/crowsfoot" marked, 1878 dated, illegible manufacturer, and an odd tiny stamp that resembles nothing less than a wheat "flower". What I'm looking for in particular is some guidance as to what units would likely be issued such a strongly grained black leather pouch rather than the expected black patent leather pouch. The name "Herbert Fowler" is faintly written on the inside of the flap and I was hoping to narrow my research to a particular arm of the military at least.

The pouch is not of course necessarily connected to the AZW, but is a bit of contemporary militaria.
Sawubona

At risk of being Trollish ("funny, you don't look Trollish.") by answering some of my own questions, I found the aforementioned pouch described and pictured in Pierre Turner's most excellent book "Soldiers' Accoutrements of the British Army 1750-1900" (after I found the book again) as a 20 round Cavalry pouch approved in 1870 with internal tubes for the bullets and rings for the shoulder belt to carry Snider-Enfield cartridges. The pattern was altered in 1877 with the removal of the tubes (LoC 3269) so as to accommodate Martini Henry ammunition. I've no idea of the thinking for this as both cartridges have the same diameter to the brass hulls and would fit in the same size loops. Apparently, the tubes (loops) inside were reintroduced in 1882 but that pattern was not sealed until 1884 (LoC 4785). The pouch in question has no loops, as would be expected from its 1878 date of manufacture.

No info on the unusual texture of the leather, but it seems Messr Herbert Fowler was in a cavalry unit that carried MH carbines. The RA pouch is distinctly different in shape and an infantry officer's pouch is smaller for pistol ammunition. I believe that lancer's at the time didn't carry a carbine at all?
Cross belt pouch identification sought