rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Ghost sightings at Isandlwana
mons14

I�ve always been interested in the study of the paranormal and ghosts � especially those related to military subject matter. There�s actually a fascinating thread on the Great War Forum (that�s been ongoing for years) about ghost sightings and stories related to the battlefields of the First World War - its really rather interesting stuff.

Along these lines, I seem to remember reading many years ago (and don�t remember where?) a story that related how local people avoided walking near the battlefield of Isandlwana for fear of bad luck and feelings of dread associated with the place.

This has always made me wonder if there have ever been any known stories of ghosts at the old battlefield of Isandlwana. If there�s any place that should have ghosts, this is certainly a good contender.

Regards,

David

David

I have never come across a suggestion that local people avoided the battlefield - quite the opposite, in fact. Unless you mean at night, perhaps? Several homesteads were established quite close to the former campsite and original 24th firing line anyway, and once the mission was up & running in 1880, a well established community slowly grew up around it, evolving into the village of Isandlwana today. (Not quite on the actual ground immediately to the east of the mountain, but well within a mile to the NE, nestling under the Nqutu hills to the north of the plain, where the rudimentary mission buildings were established in 1880/81). So the site has been busy with human activity ever since.

It has been suggested by some that the repulsed Zulu force returning from R/Drift in the early morning of 23 Jan thought the returning column under Chelmsford - as you'll know, the two sides passed by fairly close to each other without engaging - must be the ghosts of the Isandlwana dead, as it was presumed the whole column had been defeated at Isandlwana. So there's a very early example!

And there was a thread on this forum not long ago emanating from someone's recent experience at the site, but I can't remember who or what was involved.

Peter
Sawubona

Quite right, Peter. The previous thread was called "Spooky goings on at Isandlwana" and has quite a bit concerning reports and so forth of ectoplasmics manifesting themselves (I've heard ghosts referred to as "ectoplasmic manifestations" and am so enamored of that phrase that I thought I'd try to run even further over the edge with it).
mons14

Yes - I've read the 'Spooky thread' and saw it more as a discussion about how the Zulus view the after-life etc. I do see some natural overlap to this topic, but I really was wondering about ghost stories related to Isandlwana battle and battlefield.

Anyway, thanks for thoes that posted, all very interesting and much appreciated.

Regards,

David

In the Pot Purri section I posted an article some time back about our 2003 visit, on the early morning of the 22.1.2003 (just getting light) so about 5am, we we sitting on the summit of Isandlwana, the heavy rain in the night and the rapidly rising temperature had caused a mist to form in and just above the grass.
As the sun came up, and the battlefield was bathed in one of those stunning rich siennas, with the sun up so did the breeze. myself and Jonesy sat, open mouthed as the mist was picked up into mini whirlwings and these skipped and danced around above the grass until the sun burned away the mist, in my time on planet earth I do not think I will see anything like this again, as I put in the story, was these those spirits clad in red and Leopard skin still looking for the light?

Oh by the way, I was chatting with some of the Dundee lads who had camped on the battlefield overnight ....they say the sounds of the night, the noises outside the tents and the unexplained screams meant most of them were back in their accomadation for the next night!.....

I'll stick to my luxury lodges and G & T's thank you.

David,

The thread, "Disembowelment of the enemy dead at Isandlwana" has some discussion about the matter, too. One individual to see a battle ready Zulu was Jamie, who described it on... (can't remember the thread, but I'm sure it is linked in the above topic.).

Jamie also said that on the day he saw the "apparition," the sun was shining brightly.

Fascinating stuff.

Barbara
Jamie

Was wondering when I was going to get a mention.......

Sure did. Still get the spooks. I am not 100% sure it was a battle ready Zulu though. He definitely had no trousers, shoes or a shirt on - in that split second I saw him... I didn't initially hang around in that area.

One minute I was photographing the Manzimnyama Stream - the next I was blazing a trail back uphill to the car pronto fast...................

Basically took a photograph and turned 180 degrees behind me to see a guy about 2 ft directely behind me - he appeared out of nowhere and disappeared into thin air when I looked back at him. No sound - nothing. Reported it to Dalton at the lodge after a few brandies!

The link is the photo (Top one) I took before I turned round.....

http://www.isandlwana1879.co.uk/index_files/Page4209.htm

I'm reminded of Harry Martindale's story of his 1953 encounter in the York Treasurer's House.

Strange things do happen.

The story of the Zulu's thinking Chelmsford's column being the ghosts of those killed at Isandlwana was fascinating, this forum and Lt.Col. Snook's book was the first I'd heard of it.

Peter Ewart

I can't recall now if I'd read of the story beforehand, but I remember the late Chelmsford Ntanzi telling me at Isandlwana nine years ago that the returning soldiers had been looked on as "spookies" by the Zulu force returning from R/Drift. I also recall that although Chelmsford wasn't exactly prompted to say this by the guide, he was enthusiastically prompted to remember and repeat the story which he had been known by the guide to relate previously. His grandfather was said to have fought at Isandlwana so it is not impossible he had picked up the story in that way, but it will have to remain just one of those interesting stories.

Quite apart from any Zulu beliefs which might have led to such a conclusion, two practical points might just support it. Firstly, it must have been a real shock to see a huge column returning along the "road" from Isandlwana, which they knew to be devastated only hours previously - so who could they possibly be, and how could they now be alive & intact? (Of course, it is possible that some of them were aware there had been another force active around Mangeni that morning).

Secondly, the fact that the exhausted Zulu were not molested must have seemed very strange to them (other than when provoked by one of their number) giving rise to a feeling that there was something not quite right about this column.

Peter
Johnny_H

If placed in context of the times, those circumstances in which the Zulu found themselves the idea of a ghost army seems probable. I am however a skeptic of anything supernatural so I can't easily place myself in their shoes to draw the same conclusion.

Ghost sightings at Isandlwana