rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Pte Hudd 1 /24th .
Sapper Mason

Smile , Hello one & all ,
Been away for a bit , health issues to contend with , Surgeon Reynolds has not finished with me just yet i fear , no matter , to the query in hand .

It concerns Pte HUDD of the 1 / 24th . This topic may have been covered some time ago , if so could someone please enlighten me ? , thank you .

In the , " NOBLE 24TH " , i see Pte HUDD as being born in WARMINSTER , indeed this is supported by his discharge sheet ( i have a copy ) which indicates this fact . I also have a copy of a newspaper report upon the death of former Pte HUDD which indicates SUSSEX as place of birth ( ? ) .

I have checked various census returns ect and these support the fact that LEWES was his place of birth . He indicated he was wounded in the leg at Isandlwana and shook hands with Queen Victoria ( ? ) , how much is fact & fiction ? , cheers , " Sapper " Wink
Martin Everett

He was NOT at Isandlwana NOR at Rorke's Drift on 22/23 January. Yes, he was at Isandlwana on 25 July 1879 when the battalion were their way back to Natal.

As regards Queen Victoria - he obviously went AWOL and bought a day-return railway ticket to London......................

2nd October 1879
The 1/24th under command Colonel Richard Glyn CB disembarked at Portsmouth and having been inspected by Field Marshal HRH The Duke of Cambridge on the jetty proceeded to New Barracks, Gosport. On arrival at the Gosport side the Mayor welcomed the battalion and presented an address. HRH The Duke of Cambridge inspected the Battalion at 4 pm in marching order and expressed himself well satisfied with the fine appearance in spite of the ragged state of clothing.

Pte Hudd
Sapper Mason

Smile ,
Many thanks for this Martin , as ever we find a man at either Rorke's Drift or Isandlwana but not on the , " day " so to speak ( Pte Comberton for example ) , can you explain why his discharge sheet indicates place of birth as WARMINSTER when all other facts point towards LEWES as his place of birth ? , again thank you for your response , " Sapper " . Smile
Martin Everett

Perhaps it is because George Hudd = 25B/210 and George Wyer of 1/24th = 25B/210.

Pte Hudd 1 /24th .