rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Pte George Comberton 1-24th
John D

Hi all

I have recently acquired an interest in the Zulu wars whilst trying to find out some information on George Comberton.

So far I have not found out much other than the fact that George fabricated a story about his involvement in the war. I am hoping to visit the National Archives to see if his service papers survive, but that may no be for a while

I have not seen the 'story' and was hoping that someone maybe will have a bit more information on George or be able to point me in the right direction for further research.

Many Thanks
John
Martin Everett

dear John,

25B/1901 - came out with the draft which left Woolwich on 1 March 1879. Originally from 37th Foot. Born in Belfast but lived in East Ham.

John D

Thank you Martin for the information.

I was able to re-search Ancestry and found him on the 1891 & 1901 Census (spelt Camberton).

Interestingly, there is a street less than a mile from East Ham tube station called 'George Comberton Walk'. It may be a co-incidence, but maybe his fictitious stories were believed to such an extent that they named a street after him!

Regards
John
John D

I have carried out a small investigation, into the George Comberton story

His alleged connection with Rorke�s Drift initially appeared in an article published in the Essex County magazine in January 1966, a copy of which I have now obtained. The article was written by Donald Cameron who claimed to be George�s grandson (see timeline below), and the story told of his ancestors valiant escapades at the famous battle.

It would appear that the article came about simply as a result of the film Zulu being released in 1964. No evidence has been found of the story being told prior to this, and as George died in 1919, so one can only assume that Donald either made up the story, or had been told stories as a schoolboy and embellished them.

The publication of the story in 1966 did make George a �local hero� for a time in the East Ham area of London (the other local hero being Jack Cornwall VC of the Battle of Jutland fame!). Although it may have been more a case of Donald seeking an element of self publicity.

The local council must have been impressed with their newly found hero as they did name a street after him. It was part of a local 1960�s development of new housing and business premises.

I suspect that George never made any meaningful claims of being a Rorke�s Drift defender, but may have told a story to impress his step-daughter and later step-grandson. We will probably never know the truth.

I have produced a quick timeline of the life of George Comberton and subsequent events.

GEORGE COMBERTON � TIMELINE

1851/2 � Born Belfast

1870 � Estimated date of joining the Army. (Army papers yet to be looked for).

1879 � Regimental No. 1901 with 1-24th Foot - came out with the draft which left Woolwich on 1 March 1879. Originally from 37th Foot. Born in Belfast but lived in East Ham.

1881 � Census. Still in the Army 1-24th Foot. Census shows a number of NCO�s and soldiers in barracks at Harwich.
1882 � Discharged from the Army June 1882

1886 � Married Mahala Williams (about age 23). Assumed to be the same GC, but not confirmed. Fate of marriage & Mahala unknown.

1888 � Married Annie Sophia Godbold (widow). � Annie Cheshire married Arthur Godbold in 1874. Arthur died in the 2nd quarter 1877 age 26, and their son Arthur in the last quarter of 1877 age 2. Annie Esther B was born in the 3rd Quarter 1877

1891 � Census. Now a Greengrocer. Living with wife Annie and stepdaughter Annie in East Ham.

1901 � Census � Still a Greengrocer, this time in Hampstead with wife stepdaughter and two greengrocer assistants.

1909 � Stepdaughter Annie marries under her birth name of Godbold. Marries James Donald Cameron

1910 � Stepdaughter Annie has a son Donald J A Cameron 4th Quarter (West Ham registrar�s district)

1911 � Census � Recorded as a Butcher, and living with wife Annie (East Ham)

1911 � Stepdaughter Annie living in East Ham with Husband (recorded as Donald) and 6 month old son (recorded as James)

1919 � GC Died of Influenza 1st Quarter (West Ham registrar�s district). Buried in the cemetery at East Ham parish church.

1920 � Wife Annie dies 4th Quarter (West Ham registrar�s district)

1964 � Zulu film released

1966 � Article written by Donald Cameron on GC appears in the Essex County Magazine.

1977 � Donald James A Cameron dies 4th quarter (Barking registrars district). Date of birth given as 9.11.1910
peterw

Good research - well done.

Peter
AMB

John,

Snippets of history like this are what make this site so fascinating! Thank you.

AMB
John D

Thank you Peter & AMB for your comments.

Being a family history buff has helped, and with the increasing data going online, its easier to put the information together.

My next task is to visit Kew and look for the Army papers, although I believe these will also go online sometime in the future.

Regards
John
Pte George Comberton 1-24th