rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Memorial to Rorke's Drift Defender.
Pete Keane

I read the following letter which was published in the Somerset County Gazette, I have copied it here for general interest but if anyone is more than generally interested please contact the chap!

'I'm sure most people will have at least heard of the legendary 'defence of Rorke's Drift' during the Zulu War of 1879, after which 11 Victoria Crosses and five DCMs were awarded.

One of the soldiers who gallantly fought in the battle, Somerset man Pte Thomas Dawe, of the 24th Regiment, was buried in a, sadly, unmarked grave in Wellington Cemetery at Rockwell Green in 1924, and I was wondering whether it would be possible to try to galvanise local interest in providing the plot with an appropriate memorial at some stage.

Unfortunately, this plan is further complicated by the fact that the plot in which he lies is currently unpurchased - i.e. the grave first needs to be 'bought' before any headstone can go up.

Numerous new memorials and headstones have been put up to various Rorke's Drift defenders recently, and, of course, Lt john Chard VC lies only a few miles away in Hatch Beauchamp.

However, I think it is an important historical link which Wellington should be proud of, and it would be interesting to see if anything could be done to rectify this sad situation.

I would be interested to hear any advice or suggestions in relation to this'

Tim Needham
timneedham79(at)yahoo.co.uk

I have copied this verbatim.

Hope its of interest.

Regards

Pete
Memorial to Rorke's Drift Defender.