rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
THE WISH STREAM ARTICLES
AMB

Harold,

I note that the 2008 edn of The Wish Stream (the Journal of the Royal Military Academy Sandhurst and The Sandhurst Foundation) has two articles relating to the AZW. They are as follows:

The Prince Imperial � Failures in Leadership by Col D Hague-Holmes, The Wish Stream, pages 105 � 108 and;

Heroes or �Very Stupid Fellows�, Lts Chard, Bromhead and leadership at the Battle of Rorke�s Drift (January 22nd � 23rd, 1879) by Dr Edmund Yorke, Dept of Int Affairs, RMAS, The Wish Stream, pages 109 - 110.

AMB
John Young

Andrew,

How can one obtain a copy?

John Y.
AMB

John,

Good question. Really not sure. Clever answer might be to join the Army, spend a yr at Sandhurst, get your commission and then join the Sandhurst Foundation at a cost of [only!] �10 per yr - however, that is not very helpful to a busy Met copper!

I've just looked at the Journal again and there does not appear to be an ISBN, so I don't think your library can get copies.

That said, there are always several ways to skin a cat. Give me a few days and I'll see what I can do next week when I'm back at the coal face.

Wait out.

AMB
Harold Raugh

Dear Andrew,
Thank you very much for the bibliographical information on these two articles (which sound interesting). I will add these to my draft, which is now at about 500 pages. I will be wrapping up this AZW bibliography project in the coming months.
Thanks again.
All the best,
Harold
Martin Everett

Dear Harold,

I note with pity that you are going ahead with publication without ever visiting Brecon. We hold many original AZW documents - many of which have never been published. I do undertstand you are busy which means that this may not be an option for you. Nevertheless, you would get a warm welcome, as everyone does, and I believe your industry and dedication would no doubt benefit from such a visit.

Harold Raugh

Greetings:

As I look over my notes, I see that Col. Digby-Holmes wrote an earlier, similar piece on the Prince Imperial:

Hague-Holmes, Digby. �Who was Responsible for the Death of the Prince Imperial?� Soldiers of the Queen 90 (September 1997).

Cheers,
Harold
rich

I was just think where would one know about these articles if they weren't noted here? Such is the utility of RDVC. I don't know if I'll get a chance to read them but it's good to know they exist!

A very kind thank you to Andrew for sending me the Wish Stream magazine with the articles, "Heroes or 'very stupid fellows', Lieutenants Chard, Bromhead and Leadership at the battle of Rorke's Drift (January 22nd-23rd,1879)" by Dr Edmund James Yorke and "The Prince Imperial-Failures in Leadership?" by Col D Hague-Holmes.

I found the articles very informative and instructive on the aspect of leadership contained in those two events. On one hand, Chard and Bromhead apparently did everything right when it came to maintaining morale, selecting their defensive aims, doing offensive action and showing great cooperation and flexibility under those trying circumstances. Their judgements were impeccable in defending the integrity of the position. Then, with the Prince Imperial, we see how a lack of leadership effectively caused his death while on patrol. The author noted "a blatant disregard of the most elementary defensive precautions" where the prince and the soldiers assigned to him did not set up sentries and "no orders for carbines to be loaded". That was a debacle waiting to happen.

Rich,

Good to hear that the Journal arrived and that the articles were of interest.

Kind Regards,

AMB
THE WISH STREAM ARTICLES