rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Zulu alert
Sheldon Hall

Completists interested in reading any and all references to "Zulu" might like to know that the current issue of "Sight and Sound" (January 2010), now available in bookshops and online from the BFI, contains a (very) brief article referring our favourite film, along with a full-page illustration. The article refers to a new book, "Screen Epiphanies" from BFI/Palgrave Macmillan, in which filmmakers "recall their earliest or most significant film memory" ("Zulu" was chosen by producer Stephen Woolley). Of particular interest to me is the fact that the illustration, on page 7 of the journal, is the very same image that adorns the cover of my book (I found it in the BFI Stills Library, so it is undoubtedly from the same transparency).
Sheldon Hall

Furthermore, I see from the adverts on Channel Five today that Sky HD is using a clip from "Zulu" (Bromhead laughing hysterically with Adendorff following the Zulus' reappearance and salute) to advertise its service. Perhaps this is because the HD transfer of the film (on both the digital channel and Blu-ray) has been rated so highly by many consumers - though not without some controversy (see the feedback on Amazon.co.uk among other sites).
rich

Sheldon...

I'd be interested in your opinion on the transfer. What did you think?
Since I'm a sound person as well, I'm just wondering why surround couldn't be on the disc. Expensive to get on you think? Quality wouldn't be good? Hmmm...Just thinking, those engineers on the Beatles discs did a great job on those re-mastered cds. The sound is absolutely amazing.

Rich, I'm afraid my budget does not yet extend to a Blu-ray player or an HD TV! I'll let you know when I can afford them and have viewed the disc (which I don't have a copy of... thanks, Paramount!). As for the stereo sound on the Blu-ray of "Zulu" (I believe it's the same two-track mix as heard on the standard DVD), I don't believe it was possible to remix it to 5.1 (or however many channels there are on Blu-rays) because the original sound masters were lost and reportedly even the four-track print used for an earlier transfer has gone missing. The Beatles' remasterings were possible because the original sound "stems" still exist and can therefore be remixed.
Sawubona

Hold out on the BD player much longer, Sheldon, and you'll be able to get one free at McDonald's with a Happy Meal. Seriously, on this side of the pond they can be had for $118 for a good Sony player and Black Friday at Wally World (Wal-Mart to the uninitiated) featured a Mitsubishi for $72!

I read all of the comments on AmazonUK as you suggested and I can't help but think that the remastering of a movie to Blu-Ray carries with it some element of "optimization" for the small screen. The possibly apocryphal story years back was that some of the final studio mixing done by The Jefferson Airplane for some of their albums was on portable stereo equipment rather than studio grade gear- the thinking was that that was what the music was likely to be most often heard on. Perhaps true for "movies" as well? Colors somewhat more saturated for example.
rich

Sheldon..please please, an expert in film needs his tools!!! It's imperative that someone like you basks in the technology! Please treat yourself this holiday season. Saw I know even thinks you should jump! Right, Saw???... Cool ...Don't eat Flake bars for a few months, OK?

And Sheldon, hmmmm, wasn't there a position on Paramount's staff, i.e. archivist who was responsible so the film can be 'saved' and all of it which naturally included the "sound"? Don't want to jump the gun but that individual didn't do his job. What's the big deal of saving things like that?
Ah, commercial space rent, eh???

To be fair to Paramount, as the film was an independent production, and for a long time co-owned by Joseph E. Levine's company Embassy and its various successors in interest, the Hollywood studio may not have had sole ownership or responsibility for the negative and other printing materials. The sound masters may well have been stored separately and could have "slipped through the cracks" caused by the multiple copyright owners. This is not at all uncommon in the film industry, alas, especially in the case of independent companies and their products.
Sheldon Hall

Sorry, I forgot to reply to Rich's other suggestion. Unfortunately, it's not so much the Blu-ray player that is outside my financial grasp as the HD TV I would need to view the discs properly... and how did you know I've been buying family packs of Flakes recently?!
AMB

All,

I am concerned that Sheldon - of all people! - does not have Blu-ray. Should we start a fund to raise money to buy him one in the new year sales?!

AMB
Sheldon Hall

I'm sure there are more deserving charities in 2010! Thanks for the thought, though.
Sawubona

Now as I see it, Sheldon, it's a costly proposition to purchase an HD TV and a Blu Ray player concurrently (prohibitively so for some)-- and that's not even considering the desired 7.1 surround audio system and it's related components. But since an HD TV isn't any improvement without the BD player, but the BD player can play standard DVD's as well as BD's (and even upscale the standard DVD if your present TV is new enough to have HDMI inputs), it seems as though purchasing the Blu Ray player is the logical entry point to commence the upgrade process, does it not? Then the TV and then the 7.1 audio set-up. And by that time Blu Ray will have gone the way of 8 track tapes and you can start all over again! Jeezum, I love the 21st Century!
Zulu alert