rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Lobby Cards
tom

Hi Everyone,
This might be one for Sheldon.
Some time ago I bought a set of genuine lobby cards for Zulu.
On the back of each card someone has written very neatly in pencil,a description of the what is happening in the shot.
Any ideas why this was done?
Thanks in advance.
Sheldon Hall

Tom,

Your guess is as good as mine. Reference for use in publication? A fan's aide memoire? Perhaps they came directly from Paramount's press office and were notes to be turned into captions. Or maybe an exhibitor's transcription of printed captions (which were often supplied as a separate sheet rather than attached to each still). Are they UK or US lobby cards?
tom

Hi Sheldon
Some interesting possibilities there.
I bought them from the States.
Sawubona

Tom,
Might I step in, Sheldon? There were eight "lobby cards" issued in the USA without a "title card" for "ZULU" , each depicting a scene from the movie (mostly posed) with a common format. Number 2 seems to be the rarest and number eight is the most common (the number is below and between the "L" and the second "U" of "ZULU" . If you have the complete set, then it's worth between $200 and $800, depending on conditioin. Dirt, thumbtack holes, tape residue, etc, push the value towards the lower end. If you have duplicates, then turn them around for investment and wait for a "one sheet" to invest in,,'cause those puppies are going out of sight. Immaculate= $1000+ to Crappy=$200 (but restoration is there and reasonable in price). Buy from Canada if you can-- that's where they all went after their "use" in the USA and them Canadians stored them in cold, dry air by necessity! Buy Now!
Lobby Cards