rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Martini-Henry implement - item name?
Mark Hobson

This is a simple query and probably has a simple answer.

Recently came across a small item that I bought at a militaria fair. It is made from brass and roughly the same size as an ammunition round. On one end is a short handle about 3 inches in length which folds flat when stored. Holding the handle, the implement would have been placed into the breech of a Martini-Henry Rifle, and, by looking down into a tiny mirror angled to show a view down the barrel, the rifleman would have been able to check for blockages and obstructions that might be fowling the barrel. There is also a brass cover attached by a chain.

I understand what the implement was used for. Just wondered what it was actually called and if they were standard issue to every Private?

Thanks in advance.

Mark Hobson
Sawubona

I've never known it as anything but a "bore viewer" and I believe it was only issued to NCO's. It's use was to examine the bore to ensure that the enlisted soldier has properly cleaned his weapon, rather than to check for obstructions. A somewhat rare implement and a good find!
Mark Hobson

Many thanks.

I paid �20 for it - it seemed like a good price for an obscure item. The dealer had a box full, I wish I'd bought a few more!

Regards.
Sawubona

A good price on my side of The Pond! If wishes were Martinis, I would have bought those two at KTP back in the '70's for $75 each. Still, we all should learn to settle for the good scores we can hold in our hands and forget those "what-we-should-have-dones"!
Re: Martini-Henry implement - item name?
Kiwi Sapper

Location: Middle Earth & Home of Narnia; (Auckland, New Zealand)
Mark Hobson wrote:
This is a simple query and probably has a simple answer.

Recently came across a small item that I bought at a militaria fair. It is made from brass and roughly the same size as an ammunition round.

These have been in use for many years, but what is relevant and that which you have not mentioned is the same size as what ammunition round? .45 Martini Henry or 303 Martini Enfield? 303 bore inspection units are common here in Middle Earth, but I have never seen a .45 Martini Henry example. So, what bore size do you have?

It was a confusion of ideas between him and one of the lions he was hunting in Kenya that had caused A. B. Spottsworth to make the obituary column. He thought the lion was dead, and the lion thought it wasn't.
Mark Hobson

Pretty certain it is for the .450/.577 Martini
Kiwi Sapper

Location: Middle Earth & Home of Narnia; (Auckland, New Zealand)
Mark Hobson wrote:
Pretty certain it is for the .450/.577 Martini

I am impressed. I was not aware of one being made for .450. It must be enormous!

It was a confusion of ideas between him and one of the lions he was hunting in Kenya that had caused A. B. Spottsworth to make the obituary column. He thought the lion was dead, and the lion thought it wasn't.
Mark Hobson

Sorry?
Sawubona

Mark, this item was on Ebay UK a bit ago:170416185400. If you can, check it out. Is this what you're talking about? The actual address is : http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BORE-VIEWER-FOR-Martini-Henry-LONG-LEES-SMLE_W0QQitemZ170416185400QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Collectables_Militaria_LE?hash=item27ad98a038
Mark Hobson

Sawubona

It is almost identical, the only difference been that mine is marked EFD. It also has the War Department mark. The back, where the chain joins, is minutely different. Other than that they are the same.

Mark Hobson
Neil Aspinshaw

Mark

The EFD markings on the Bore viewer show that the date of Manufacture is Post 1892 when Enfield changed their designation from an E to EFD.

At that date the last production of .450 Calibre Martinis had ceased, at Enfield by 1887 (production year 1888) , BSA by 1889, albeit 4000 .450 calibre were made in 1892-93 by the Henry Rifled Barrel Company for a colonial order.

The Viewers are for .303", which would include Lee Metford, Martini Metford and by 1894 Lee Enfields and Martini Enfield. I have yet to record a .450 version. Issue was to Armourer Sergts.

I will check the LOC to see the introduction dates.

The are used at the breech end, in fact for .450 calibre MH they get a bit of getting used to as you have to move it about to find the correct reflective point. In .303 they go snugly into the chamber and give a view rigt to the throat of the chamber, an area prone to corrosion and damage in .303. This can be done without removing the bolt.

Bore inspection in Martinis is easier, as the block reflects light and inspection is done from the Muzzle, the Original MK1 rifle had a polished bright block to enhance the reflectivity, but the men moaned about it rusting..so it was blued from 1875. That said, the viewer does do a sterling job.

Thanks for the detailed reply Neil. Your info has cleared up the confusion nicely.
Have I read it correctly that, although the one I have came after production of .450 calibre MH's ceased, it would still be usable as a .450 calibre Bore Viewer? That it would be interchangeable between the .303 and the .450?

Mark
Neil Aspinshaw

Mark
your viewer was intoduced in LOC 6374 on the 1-6-1891, as "Reflector, mirror,small arms .303" inch.

There was a reflector, made of steel, introduced 1.2.1890 as Martini Henry reflector steel, examining barrels. This appeared in the form of a polished sheet steel shaped to the loading tray porfile of the block, 1 issued per 20 rifles. For all branches of land service and volunteers. Chances was this was short lived as the Mee Metford began to be standard issue around 1891-92. It was not approved for navy service, presumably as it was hard to keep rust free.

On 1-5-1893 LOC 7082 a .40/.450 versionof the 6374 model was approved, listed as Reflector, Mirror machine guns Mark 1 C Brass examining barrels. Interestingly it does list "Also M-H rifle for naval service." Ideally for Nordenfeld machine guns in naval vessels, but there is going to be some of them out there.....I'll keep looking!

Thanks for the info, Neil. I'd hoped you'd chime in, being the resident expert without portfolio as you are. In my recent travels, Mark, I passed an example of just the viewer that Neil is speaking of. Now to find it again...
Mark Hobson

Great stuff guys - and many thanks to you both. Good luck with the search!
Martini-Henry implement - item name?