rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
new film
richard

i have not posted here for some time, but i have just finished"how can man die better & like woves on the fold" and found them most enjoyable.
i was wondering if there was any possibility of trying to generate some interest in gaining some finance for a new film of Isandlwana via the internet,the same thing was done for the film "Snakes on a plane". if we generate enough interest on this forum we might get the attention of either someone famous with an interest in the war or a major studio. i don't know about the rest of you but i am fed up with the influx of hollywood drivel and cgi driven films, or the constant sequels and awful remakes. we need a big film that has a brittish cast, crew and backers that can rival hollywood and prove that we can still make great films like ZULU. i think it is about time that all the men involved at Isandlwana both zulu and brittish are given a proper tribute. we can do it, we just have to be positive and forget about the recession.
Coll

Richard

If anyone famous, or a screenwriter/film company was interested in making a new film about Isandlwana/Rorke's Drift, I'm sure they would search the internet for sites/forums, like this, to acquire information, not only from the discussions, but from the authors and historians who contribute to them.

Someone like Martin Everett might be contacted at some stage for details connected to the 24th, so he could be one of the first to know of such a project.

The alternative, if writing is your hobby, draft a screenplay and send to film companies, to see what they think, but don't term it a remake of an earlier film - new must mean new.

I've been wondering if a tv drama or drama/documentary, might be a good start, focussing on perhaps a C.O.I. into the Isandlwana disaster, which would be set inside a building, not requiring locations in Africa, large sets, masses of uniforms, weapons, etc.

That would be more affordable, therefore do-able.

Obviously, such as these may be 'what if ?- type' programmes, Chelmsford, Durnford, Pulleine, etc., participating in the events, discussing their roles/thoughts/actions. This idea was put forward a while ago, which I liked from the very moment I read about it.

It could be enough to encourage bigger projects, such as a film, or even a Rorke's Drift mini-series'.

Small steps before big ones methinks.

Coll
leightarrant

Hey - I run my own video production company - always interested in helping out in any way. We can supply film crew, writers, production crew, editors.....just say the word! I agree with Coll. See above!
new film
richard

thanks for the reply, i do not have the ability to wright a screenplay but i did hear that mike snook was working on one, hope he can get back to us on that one. i also think we can get help with a new film from re-enactors and other members of this forum. i would be willing to work for nothing apart from the satisfaction of working on a new film, the Americans did a very good job with GETTYSBURG we can do the same.even a mini series would be just as hard to put together as a film. Very Happy Very Happy
Coll

Leigh

That's good to know.

I seem to recall someone suggesting making an independent documentary/drama, to send to businesses or a tv/film organisation, to get funding, having such a visual presentation of the idea, making more of an impression, giving them a clue of how it would go on the small screen.

Richard

I don't think Mike will be working on a screenplay, as he is caught up in writing a book about another campaign, although I may be mistaken and he is writing the former.

There does appear to be interest in such from enthusiasts the past few years, as his books are written in such a way, that many can visualise the action, but would like to see it also tranferred onto the big screen.

As for Gettysburg, there are over 25,000 ACW re-enactors in the U.S., with their own equipment etc., with this not being the case for the AZW, as I did ask a while ago how many re-enactors of this campaign there might be, which seemed to be only a few hundred, rather than several thousand.

That said, a smaller-scale production could be made, as mentioned above, with actors/re-enactors wearing specific uniforms from the battles, (in a C.O.I.?), allowing audiences to know who they were and what unit they were from.

Coll
Sheldon Hall

There are a few misunderstandings here. The mention of "Snakes on a Plane" is unfortunate: it was not funded or packaged via the internet, just widely publicised there. But the film flopped; it was taken to prove that a lot of internet gossip does not guarantee a movie's commercial success in cinemas. So not a good role model for a new film!

Another problem is that no potential financiers are likely to stake large amounts of funding on a film made by relative amateurs with no track record of professional filmmaking, let alone of commercial success. The amount of money that would be needed to make a film on the subject of a battle involving thousands of combatants makes such a project very unlikely.

However, films have been made by subscription, with donors of cash getting a reward by seeing their name on the credits or by appearing in the films as extras. Two films on Scottish history, "Chasing the Deer" and "The Bruce", both featuring Brian Blessed, were made this way, costing considerably less than �1 million. Neither was a box office hit.
Sheldon Hall

Further to the above, Ian Knight just sent me an email, as follows:

Just seen your post on self-financing movies. Now as it happens, Cromwell Films - who made 'Chasing the Deer' and 'The Bruce' - did plan to follow it up with a third film set in the Zulu War - I was hired to write the script. In the end it came to nothing because of the necessity for African location work - the costs of shipping all the paying extras out to Zululand came to more than the investment they had provided. If they had filmed in instead in the UK it would probably have looked silly - even with an imaginative use of Scottish or Welsh landscapes - and the same problem applied in reverse - where to get hundreds (at least) of authentic-looking Zulus... ? It just proved to be impractical. And, having been involved in a documentary project that has been trying to get funding off the ground for the past two years - even with industry insiders on board - I can tell you now is not a good time to be trying anything ...
mike snook 2

Dear Richard

Although no longer a regular contributor here I have had a couple of emails already to ask if what you have said above is true - and I consider it of sufficient importance to pop back and say that, with regret, it is not true. I wouldn't want any false hares started running for the reason that people love this subject so much that they would get up their hopes for a whole new exciting cinematic experience, only then to have them dashed. Sheldon's counsel is as ever wise - there would be many difficulties in the way of such a project. Writing a quality screenplay might take betwen 18 months and two years and I would not embark upon such a herculean task without a paying commission to do so and reassurance from a professional producer/director that they had seen something in my writing which led them to believe I had the skillset to make such a dramatic transition. This is so unlikely that hell might freeze over in advance of the happy event. I would not sit down and write a screenplay without a commission as this would be little short of a foolish waste of time. I could certainly assist with a movie project as a historical consultant - but first there has to be a movie and in so far as I know no such definite plans have been laid. It would be great though wouldn't it?

There we are - I hope that clarifies the position. I remember John Wayne drawling in one movie - 'a good man knows his limitations' !! My limitations are presently restricted to a nice coffee table book on the Sudan campaigns, due in June-ish and a 'proper' history of the same later in the year, or perhaps early next.

Regards

Mike
Sheldon Hall

Be careful what you say, Mike - with the current weather situation, Hell could well freeze over anytime soon! And by the way, it was Clint Eastwood - in "Magnum Force" - not John Wayne who observed that a man has to know his limitations. I'm sure the Duke agreed, though.

Sheldon
mike snook 2

Hah - by Jove you're quite right Sheldon now I come to think about it - same character different actors eh?!!

Sorry about the weather you're all having - I hope it's not too unspeakable for people.

Regards

Mike
Coll

Sheldon

Filming in Scotland, wouldn't be as daft as first thought, as there are amazing locations, where such landscapes would help, rather than hinder a good Zulu War project.

Unless audience members are specifically interested in types of plants, grasses, etc., they should be more focussed on the action, as long as a suitable site was chosen.

However, as you say, getting enough warriors would be a definite problem.

That said, filming here shouldn't be ruled out immediately, if anything, it should be pursued - beginning with the finding and photographing of possible locations.

If I was able to get out and about, I'd even try to locate some myself and add images here for comment.

I seem to recall there is an organisation in Scotland, that assists tv/film companies in finding places for consideration.

Coll
John Young

Coll,

On the Fort William to Mallaig railway line (The Hogwart's Express) there's a crag which could almost double as Isandlwana, to the south of Skye. There's a start for you.

John Y.
Coll

John

I've been roughly following a map - Is this maybe it ?

http://www.trekkingbritain.com/080505-ansgurrfromarisaig/20080505G-AnSgurr.JPG

Coll
rich

Boy, from what I know of movie/tv production I really would have to second both Sheldon's and Mr. Knight's opinions of that issue of money. It's an understatement today to say you have to have "money" for productions...er.you have to have plenty of it. It sure doesn't look like this is the 60's where producers had the wherewithal to fund "creative", mucis, film etc., with the flick of a pen or an asimple "yes". One thing I'll say is if someone can convince a producer or production house that their AZW film will MAKE MONEY well that's a plus. Film houses can't afford to lose money you know? The whole business is undergoing change. And how about shooting a script over to James Cameron? Maybe he'll want to downsize after "Avatar" where he spent ..what?... 300-500 million?... Wink

Coll,

That's the one!

John Y
new film